It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a conspiracy - NFL made sure Steeler's won?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I dunno. I'm with those that say those were some bad calls. I don't know if Seattle would've won or not, but at least without those calls it would've been more obviously an honest loss. Both teams made some killer plays--even rooting for Seattle, I loved that reverse pass by Pittsburgh; just too pretty.

I kinda got out of watching football for quite some time, this was the first game I saw all season. I was (am) a Dolphin's fan, and it always irked me to see them lose a game where there were some dubious calls. They lost because they played a crappy game? Fine. But when there's one or two calls that are either obvious flub-ups or look sketchy depending on the angle, then it just seems like they got duped.

I do like the conspiracy angle though; definitely interesting and worth consideration...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It doesn't make sence. Who is to benefit from it? So what if their is a high % of fans in the area. Why would the league risk jeopardizing everything it has, to make sure the Steelers won the superbowl.

I am wide open to conspiracy theories, and love reading all sides of them. But I see this one being erected for the wrong reasons. This is being done to explain a loss, and to mask a shoddy effort on the part of the Seahawks.

The Steelers are not even my favorite team, however I recognize the battle they went through and they deserve some recognition. This is only meant to take away from their efforts and make excuses for Seattle.

You have to win with class, and lose with class. Pick your chins up and accept defeat. Nobody to blame but yourselves.

You can not use the cards and say well the NFL will hide behind its refs and allow these bad calls to go unnoticed. Thats nonsence, the refferee who blew the call in Indy on the INT was hung out to dry. Publicly ridiculed for his call by the press, and the league itself. So if these calls were to blame, it would be handeled.

If this was rigged, somebody more than the city of Pittsburgh would have to benefit. So tell me how the NFL benefits from this?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

If this was rigged, somebody more than the city of Pittsburgh would have to benefit. So tell me how the NFL benefits from this?

Well, for one the NFL who receieves a percetage of all NFL merchindise that is sold. Which with the huge differiencial of fans, that could surmount to the billions. (125 billion dollars in merchidise was shipped to Detoit for the super bowl) 10% of that is 12.5 billion.

Second, The elistist corporates that own Reebok. For they have a ten year liscensing agreement with the NFL which is soon to run out. One last hurrah before NIKE takes over? I don't know. Reebok gets huge percetage, for they are the manufacturers that make the NFL merchandise.

Simple math:

Seatle fans "x" = 100,000
Pitsburg fans "y" = 100,000,000 Let us factor in Enron and Worldcom etc... into our reasoning process when deciding why corporations would pull strings.

They say it is harder to become an umpire in NFL than actually becoming a player, probably because they have to know you are on "their" team only.

Those are a few reasons.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Are you a biased seahawks fan, or are you neutral about this and acutally believe their could be a conspiracy?

EDIT:

Rather than another post I'll just add...

Is it reasonable to believe that the league would risk throwing everything away just to profit alittle more? I understand your in it for the money, but if anything ever came out of a conspiracy, how much money would be lost? I doubt they would be willing to risk it.

And to get into the difficulties of becoming an official, Well its the same as any professional league. The life you need to live, always travelling. How sharp would you have to be to officiate at such a level. It has nothing to do with what side your on, its the talent you hold.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Are you a biased seahawks fan, or are you neutral about this and acutally believe their could be a conspiracy?

To be honest, I am a Cincinnati Fan who is bios against the Steelers. But I am a fair man, so these game calls and the suspicious calls, along with the big crackdown on fake merchandise this year in detroit. And the fact that all the stadium was yellow, It makes me question. I post only to see if anyone else shares my opinion. Yes, it is only an opinion. But when I saw that ref reached and grab his flag right when Seatle scored a touchdown after less than a handshake from the reciever, I then felt suspect.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Your not arguing the reff's call, you are arguing the rule book. He does not write the rules, he has to follow them.

It states clearly that you can not push off the defender, it is very clear that is exactly what happened.

In hockey if you hit a guy from behind, it does not matter how hard it is, a hit from behind is a hit from behind. Thats it.

This is the same thing.

Seattle self destructed, they took the penalties, and the refs did not have to look hard to find them.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
First, obviously you've never heard of momentum.

Second, that was NOT a push off. It was the the defender and receiever tight, the defender went one way, the reciever went the other, their hands were the last to be seperated. That's it. The corner chose wrong coverage route. That simple.

That is one of a half dozen bad calls anyway. And the touchdown that was out of bounds (one foot). They never reviewded it. But on my TIVO I puased it and the ball broke the line (which is all it has to do) before he went out of bounds. It's the Super Bowl, those calls are reviewed atleast by the booth. The game was almost designed to go Pitsburg ways. Again, re-read the post, many also believe this. AAC

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ok, the more I think of it I will agree with you on the Offensive pass interference.. as the more I say their is no argument to make, I lose all credibility in my argument. I'll give you that call, but still that is no grounds for a conspiracy.

Yes I see what your saying about the feet and the endzone, but at NO TIME did he have possession of the ball and get both feet down, he may not need 2 feet in the endzone, but he does need to get both feet down legally and he did not have that.

I maybe wrong on this rule reference, but I don't think I am.

What do you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I guess my gripe is that they didn't even review it. It was SO reviewable and yet they didn't. The coach couldn't because they (umps) whistled the play dead, so it was up to the booth, yet no review. Then in light of the rest, I formed a theory. I respect and congradulate Pitsburg and their fans, truely a proud moment for them, yet something stinks about it. That's all. AAC

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Chissler....they should have looked at it, IMO........If the ball breaks the plane............

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
But the reff was right their on the spot to see it. His foot was not even close to being inbounds.

Sure its a big play, but you can not review every play. I did not even see that one being close.

Bens run for the TD had to be reviewed. But some plays just aren't required.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
For this to be an actual conspiracy, Seattle should have had no opportunity what soever to win this game, and they had several chances. They should of came out of the first half with atleast a 14 point lead.

Missed FG's bit them big time. Their clock management was a joke.

Steelers were docked with alot of false starts early in the game.. if your organizing a conspiracy, Your not going to have these guys 3 n out on the first few series.

They picked up their first down at the end of the first quarter.

Conspiracy??? How?

The game is won and lost with the players, period.

The only way I percieve a possible conspiracy is if the players are involved, and for that to work it would have to be throwing the game.

Complete opposite of this scenario.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
lol :w: very good friend

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishmen3g
lol :w: very good friend

What and Who?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
You and done. Thought I had a shot to give my point of view to a fair minded person.........I see I don't.

Good luck and farewell.......

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You'll have to explain how I am not an open-minded person? I have accepted defeat on the offensive pass-interference call. Because I am passionate about a topic makes me narrow-minded. Nah I dont think so.

I'm saying my case, you say yours. If I see flaws in my argument I'll be the first to admit it as I already have.

I'd appreciate you retracting your comment, as I have proven already in this thread to be open-minded.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Woah there campers. It's only a game. I'm as disgusted with the officiating as anyone, as my previous posts here and elsewhere have shown. But seriously...it is only a game.

rassin' frassin' steelers and officials anyway

See?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

When your paying a professional athlete millions of dollars to win a championship, I think it becomes more than a game at that point.

To some it is just a silly routine of winners and losers, but to others it is a way of life.

Happiness hinges on a victory.

Gotta believe in something!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Just an apology to irish... a post above seems like I was directly bashing his opinion, but I sincerely did not see the post where he offered his direct opinion on one of the non-reviewed plays.

I'm alittle pissed off at myself right now for allowing myself to be percieved in this manner.

Lets not turn this great thread into something personal.

Moving on...........

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
True enough, I play my games for fun. But I suppose when millions are on the line I might take it just a tad more seriously. Still and all, this particular game was not a whole lot of fun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join