It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a conspiracy - NFL made sure Steeler's won?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Seattle plays in the NFC
Whereas the Steelers play in the AFC.

For all of you non football fans, this year is the weakest NFC year of, I'd wager, all time.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Steelers are the better team, and I've been saying since Week 5 that no NFC team can hope to win it all this year.

Lo and behold, I'm right.

As for questionable calls, I don't think they're as questionable as you make it out to be. The officials were on point.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I am a die hard 49er fan,but I live in the North West.

I would just like to point out to the Seahawks fans, "Vinny Testaverde".You guys got hosed on that call as well.When I saw that,that was the first thing to pop into my mind.

Deja Vu all over again.

Personally,I feel the 'Hawks got robbed.Too bad,I think this community really needed a big win today.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Now there is a statement. I'd like to know how you came to this conclusion and what kind of source was this topic derived from?,

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
There is no conspiracy. People have been underestimating the Steelers team all year long. I live in Ohio, which is split down the middle between Cleveland Browns fans and Steelers fans. I got to hear Browns fans complain all year that the Steelers are just a lucky team. They can’t admit the fact that the Steelers have great players. It is what we call putting on your Browns googles. Face it, Steelers had a great team this year and they kicked a lot of good teams butts all over the field. The Steelers deserved to be in the Super Bowl and they outplayed Seattle. Seattle looked like they forgot how to play football on about a dozen different plays. I actually laughed out loud at their terrible clock management.

btw, I'm a Broncos fan.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Bad calls. True enough. Just incentive to come back next year. The 'hawks had a great year, and next year will be better. Only one team had a better year, and they deserved it, bad calls aside. The 'hawks had chances throughout the game, but couldn't close the deal. That'll just make them hungrier next season.

To any Seahawk managment that might be reading this: Give Alexander the MONEY. He's earned it, without him the 'hawks don't get to SBXL.

Next year, look out.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I will post this quote,

The Seahawks held the ball for 33 minutes, won the turnover battle, gained more yards ... and still lost.

I'm not sure I have seen a team do the big three and still lose, Time management, turnovers, and yards.

I don't think is was rigged though.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm as unbiased as they get, I'm Finnish and dont really support any particular team, but watch Superbowl every time if possible. In my opinion the referees totally played for steelers. Wheter it was nfl conspiracy, they had bets on steelers or just plain paid off, I cant tell.
On a funny sidenote, everytime US had a commercial brake the commentators started to speak as if no1 heard them. I did cause my channel didn't have any brakes and they left their mics on
I remember a pissed off girl friend on the phone with the other commentator and at least once one of them imitated elvis, it was soooo funny

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm not a Seahawks or Steelers fan, but I'm a huge fan of footbal and knowing that the lead and momentum is everything in a game like this, that was the worst ref'd big-game I've ever seen.
I agree, it was disheartening, and almost makes me not even want to watch the game anymore.
The ref's stole the Seahawks accomplishments and momentum early, putting them in a hole and almost every sportscaster agreed. It should have been the other way around. Brutal...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
It didn't have anything to do with poor clock management at the end of both halfs?
Receivers, Stevens especially, dropping nearly every ball thrown to him? I mean, they yanked him in the 2nd half, and when they did bring him back in, he failed to get out of bounds on that last drive on the quick out.
Hardly using the NFL MVP at all? I mean, where was Alexander?
Hasselbeck throwing the ball all over the field (the two out of bounds deep balls to Jackson on the same drive)?

Last time I checked, stiffarming a defender in the chest to create distance is a push off.
Roethlisberger's hands were pushed back by that hit at the goalline and the true position of the ball was obscured. It was defintely close - but inclusive to overturn a decision.

Plus, how do you explain the Hasselbeck fumble that was overturned? Or would that have just been too obvious.

Seattle didn't play well - end of story.

And I'm a Browns fan, so don't think I have any allegiance to the Steelers...

Quango,
Poor clock management? Perhaps, but things like that happen when you're put in the hole and it was a hole they never would have been in had it not been for the ref's bad calls.

Pushing off? I guess you didn't notice that the defender initiated the contact? If anything is was defensive pass interference; watch it again. The defender had TWO HANDS on the receiver when Jackson stuck his arm out. Even then, the defender didn't move a millimeter, he wasn't pushed and it was a touchdown. Even Steve Young, Michael Irvin and Ron Jaworski agreed. Do you know more then them?

ESPN analysed the Ben touchdown and said, "There is no way that is a touchdown". Where as Hasslebeck was clearly touched, no question.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by livenlearn]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My entire family and friends watched the game and not only did we all agree is was a farce, but the game itself was BORING. Even the advertisements were poor
Well I'm sure there are many happy Steelers fans though whooptidoo

[edit on 2/6/06 by magestica]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't think it was fixed, I just think those refs are the worst I have ever seen in my life. These refs and the refs that did the afc title game should be fired. And I'm a colts fan I just hate bad calls more than anything more so when the ref looks at all the video for 2 mins then still gets it wrong WTF? And by the way it's stupid that only certin calls can be challenged any flag should have to be proven if questionable.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
No doubt some of the Refs have been paid to fix the game.

It was not bad officiating it was fixed.

The NFL is such a fun game to watch except when it gets ruined by stupid gambling interests.

The NFL needs to do something about it or they will lose their fans.

Yes, the Seahawks made a few mistakes that coupled with what the Refs did made it a loss for them.

Id like to say * * to those responsible, we know who you are we are watching you and you will go down. The data doesn't lie - the wheels are rolling.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah. Looked kinda rigged to me.

When the Seahawks were on that drive where they were around the 20 and Hasselbeck got sacked, one of the Steelers was clearly offsides. And that big Ben touchdown...please. That fool fell right at the line, then put the ball in the end zone. And, they KEPT replaying that!

Whoever said that thing about WWE, yeah. I think it's more that big money like the Mob had tons of bread on the Steelers...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I got an ill feeling watching all those segways with Steeler players drooling over the Lombardi trophy
. It was, to say the least, the worst one I've seen in a long time, from all aspects. And it really says something when the winning qb has a rating of 22!

The best part of the weekend, IMO, was Saturday. Two Cowboys goin into the Hall

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishmen3g
And it really says something when the winning qb has a rating of 22!

Its really hard not to say it was fixed when that happens

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Love the sport - Hate pro sports - haven't watched a pro game (except super bowl) in many years...I care about the teams about as much as I care about the next dancing with the stars winner, which by the way is probably called better than last nights game.

Someone mentioned it earlier - It's pretty much the WWF (male soap opera's) These games are resolved weeks in advance...
Keep it at the college level and below if you really love the sport because pro is so obviously fixed - WAKE UP.

I am glad they decided to let the Steelers have it this year; my brother-in-law still buys into the hype that pro sports are real and he's a big fan

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
re: the Niners

Seattle better enjoy this run while they can..I think in the next year or two we are going to be a much improved team (hey,we have no place to go but UP) so Hawks fans...Watch out!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Was the game poorly officiated? Absolutely, and it was throughout the entire playoffs. However, the officials didn't cause Stevens to drop four passes (even though one was actually catch and fumble that was ruled incomplete). Nor did they cause Seattle's terrible clock management with the moronic short passes at the end of each half. All told, the Steelers made two big offensive plays and Seattle made none, and the most consistent team over the last two months won the game.

Long suffering Browns fan BTW, look out Super Bowl XLIV, we're a team on the rise!!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Anyone who wants to say the officiating cost the seahawks the game is narrow-minded. Hasselback throwing an INT late in the game, how many missed field goals? Willie Parkers 75 yard run?

Cmon people?

How about the reffing calls AGAINST the Steelers in Indy. I guess they got tired of screwing these guys over and all of the sudden we'll jump on their band wagon.

Their is no conspiracy, only fans who can not accept defeat and admit their team was outplayed. The seahawks dominated the first half, just missed on so many opportunities.

Did the refs cause Stevens to drop the ball all those times?

Open your eyes, your team stunk!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Sorry guys but if the NFL wanted to fix it for a certain team to win the Super Bowl it would have been for Peyton Manning and the Colts.

The refs didn't let Willie Parker run for a 75 yard TD. The refs didn't make Jerramy Stevens drop 4 balls. The refs didn't make Josh Brown miss 2 field goals. The refs didn't stop Seattle from converting only one of three red zone attempts when Seattle had been the best in the league. The refs didn't let Seattle fall for a gimmic play and let a Steeler wide receiver throw a TD pass. The refs didn't hold Seattle from only having 1 QB sack. There is no perfectly called football game. Overcomming bad calls is part of the game of football. You can say that Seattle had some calls go against them but the bottom line is that Seattle did not play well.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by zerotime]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join