It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a conspiracy - NFL made sure Steeler's won?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Now I have to say that the game I just watched was disheartening. I am not a Seahawks fan, although if I was I'd be pissed. The referrees made some suspicious calls. Anyone share my concerns?

A few reasons to push for Pitsburg:

Pitsburg has a 4 to 1 fan base in detroit this week. It is a better story for Pitsburg with the legendary Jerome Bettis retiring. Then I thought, if Pitsburg has more fans, they'll sell more merchindise, therefore NFL corporate junkies get more money.

Now if you didn't see the game don't bother replying, because before I saw it, I would't believe it either. Just about 5 really questionable calls. Costing Seatle 2 touchdowns.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yeah, it seemed that every single time Seatle made a big play, it was brought back onb a very controversial call. There was also the controversial touchdown by Pittsburg's QB, the controversial pass interference call that cost Seatle a TD.. hell, the list goes on.. my father in law was saying the same thing as we watched the game (we didnt care who won). He jokingly said the ref's were paid off.

Also, if you watched the Pittburg/Indianopolis game, you'll make see some very similar controversial calls. Except, it seemed as if the NFL was attempting to ensure the Colts went to the Superbowl instead of the Steelers. Maybe because Payton Manning is from New Orleans and that spells good PR.. who knows.

I'm starting to wonder if the NFL is turning into the WWF.

[edit on 2/5/2006 by QuietSoul]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm just glad someone else shares my thoughts, I thought it was extremely transparent. That would suck if it turned out to be true.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Is whaaaaaaaaaaa!

Steeler Monkeys, not just one for the thumb anymore...

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
THAT was the most setup game I have ever seen in my life! I have no attachment to either team, as I am from Chicago and am a Bears fan. This is just what I got from watching the game.

#1. That was not an offensive pass interference, that was a SEATLE TOUCHDOWN. There was no denying it, it happened, the ref's made a gigantically bad call.

#2. That was NOT a Pittsburg touchdown by the QB, he never made it to the line, you can see it clearly on the replays, AGAIN the refs made a bias call.

The entire game was geared toward calls for the Steelers. It made me sick and was the worst SuperBowl ive ever seen in my 26 years on this planet.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yeah, same here,

I am a Chicagoan and really only care about Chicago teams.
I like Bill Cowher. I like the Steelers. I have nothing against Pittsburg and was mostly rooting for them...

But many of those calls were bogus. If I was a Seattle fan I'd be flipping out right now. Maybe the NFL just didn't care about the bias because they know most Seattleans have never even heard of football?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cylent773
THAT was the most setup game I have ever seen in my life! I have no attachment to either team, as I am from Chicago and am a Bears fan. This is just what I got from watching the game.

#1. That was not an offensive pass interference, that was a SEATLE TOUCHDOWN. There was no denying it, it happened, the ref's made a gigantically bad call.

#2. That was NOT a Pittsburg touchdown by the QB, he never made it to the line, you can see it clearly on the replays, AGAIN the refs made a bias call.

The entire game was geared toward calls for the Steelers. It made me sick and was the worst SuperBowl ive ever seen in my 26 years on this planet.

that is a perfect summary! hell i stoped watching after they denied the 2nd touch down even tho it touched down on camera. who else do you expect to win, theyre called the steelers they like to steel stuff in this case the superbowl. this is exactly how the calgary flames got screwed over for their chance to win the 04 stanley cup in more than a decade

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I can't beleieve no steelers fans are denying the allegations. If the shoe fits...

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
That was the worst officiating I have ever seen.

Without those calls Seattle would have won. It's ironic that the steelers compained about this when it went against them. Let's see if they say anything now that it's in their favor.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I've seen them do it against the Raiders a lot. I didn't see all the calls you are talking about, but I've seen the NFL do it a lot. The last Raiders game on New Years Eve, one of the last plays it was obvious to everyone there that Oakland had scored, but they said he didn't and gave the ball back to the Giants.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

1. I dont think the SeaHawks challenged it...did they? Cause if they did they would have gotton it. But the refs saw only one foot in bounce...However the second one hit the orange blocks with would qualify it as a touchdown...So its not hard to understand the refs calling...We get slo-mo replays all the time......they dont.

2.and that one was clearly a touchdown. He doesn't have to step in the end zone ya know. The tip of the ball reached the edge of the white line...and thats all you need. Not to mention the side angle which we viewed it from wasn't perpendicular with the white line it was back farther in the end zone...which would make it more look like he wasn't quite there...but he most definiatly was.

and I am unbiased...I like the Vikings.

The final score was 21 to 10...So even if they counted the seatle touchdown its still a loss.
Seahawks played pretty good second half though. However they could done better at the end. With a minute left they kept doing small passes...WTF? They could have kicked the field goal...and then do an onside kick...and if they got it they could get a quick touchdown and a 2-point coversion to tie the game into OT...But they didn't. Not to mention they missed 2 field goals. Ya cant lay the blame on the refs, they always try hard and do there best that they can. The had plenty of chances to get a win.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Man I hate that this will all be forgotten in a month and at the end of the day, [SMOOSH] we have been duped by the system once again for a meesly billion dollar profit...

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It didn't have anything to do with poor clock management at the end of both halfs?
Receivers, Stevens especially, dropping nearly every ball thrown to him? I mean, they yanked him in the 2nd half, and when they did bring him back in, he failed to get out of bounds on that last drive on the quick out.
Hardly using the NFL MVP at all? I mean, where was Alexander?
Hasselbeck throwing the ball all over the field (the two out of bounds deep balls to Jackson on the same drive)?

Last time I checked, stiffarming a defender in the chest to create distance is a push off.
Roethlisberger's hands were pushed back by that hit at the goalline and the true position of the ball was obscured. It was defintely close - but inclusive to overturn a decision.

Plus, how do you explain the Hasselbeck fumble that was overturned? Or would that have just been too obvious.

Seattle didn't play well - end of story.

And I'm a Browns fan, so don't think I have any allegiance to the Steelers...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I'm an Australian and I heard a report from Australian commentators on the radio that said it was the most disapointing superbowl they had seen.

in recent years there's been quite a few revelations that international cricket games had been fixed (by gambling interests). One discredited South African player even ended up flying his plane into a mountain, after suggesting that he was possessed by demons. (I kid you not. His name was Hansie Cronyer, although I'm not sure of the spelling).

My point being, that it could be fixed. Could it also be that the ref's messed up?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
quango has it right.

The Seahawks didn't play well.

Broncos fan here, so I really would have liked to see the Steelers lose.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I don't have an allegiance to either team, but in recent years, I've seen more and more blown calls by the refs. Starting with that idiotic "tuck rule" in the AFC championship game between Oakland and New England a few years ago. Every so often the crack down on the refs, and they get better, but then they start sliding again and making a lot of lame calls.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

1. I dont think the SeaHawks challenged it...did they? Cause if they did they would have gotton it.

Can't challenge an interference call. Althought not a push-off imo, certainly no business making a call like that in the superbowl. But it does happen... it's a judgement call after all.

Seattle got out-played and out-coached imo, no conspiracy here folks.

Oh i'm a new England fan so i think both teams suck.
... oops

Cool to see Bettis get a ring before he retired though.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Here is the sequence of events on the pass interference call.

1. The receiver makes contact with the defender while his arm is bent.
2.He straightens his arm while maintaining contact.
3.The receiver moves in one direction while the defender moves the other.

How on earth is that not a push? Sure, maybe on the planet Serpo no force is imparted, but here on Earth there's clearly a momentemum shift, which proves a push-off.

And the important point of Roethlisberger's TD is the top of his arc, not the bottom. The ball seemed to cross the plane before he was driven back as he descended. A close call, to be sure, but one that isn't definitive either way.

I have to agree with the critiques of the refereeing in general over the last few years. But I believe more in human error and trying to nitpick the rules more than any conspiracies.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
To all Steelers fans CONGRADULATIONS! That is a very proud moment. To Seahawks - Short end of the stick always sucks... To referees, get a CLUE!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I agree, there were some horrible calls in that game but I don’t believe it would have mattered in the end. I think both teams were extremely nervous and it showed. The push off that Darrell Jackson was called for was close but it happened right in front of the ref so what is he to do? I have seen that called, and missed, all season. I personally thought that was a decent call but the personal foul on Hasselback though, was horrendous. Also, I personally feel that the Rothelsberger touchdown could have gone either way but I believe he just crossed the line. Now, with that said, I believe that any time you have this much money floating around, as you do in professional sports, things have a way of being “influenced”.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join