It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for meshes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm a decent modeler but I can't model buildings because I lack an understanding of architecture. I would like to make FPS game maps as realistic as possible, but my builings always look funny. Can anyone tell me any websites that provide low-polygon models of buildings for free? Also I need alot of them. I checked around on google and came out empty.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
they look "funny"?

how exactly do you expect to make a FPS with downloaded meshes? I mean its an ok solution for some props like chairs and lamps but the whole architecture?

Besides even if you DL the buildings they will still not be made for a FPS, youll end up with more work trying to fix them than starting from scratch...belive me, i know

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Depending on what engine you are using.

I wouldn't really suggest modeling buildings at all, I would suggest using a .MAP format and compiling it to the appropriate file the engine reads. Creating a building in a map editor is usually more efficient.

A few tips for modeling or creating buildings would be the door frame, very simple. Create a door frame to the right height of your character model and use it as a template work completely from that template.

A lot of architectural knowledge isn’t required as your not making a building, your making a representation of a building.

Just remember to keep checking the proportions and you should do fine

Vorta

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ya I tend to mess up with the proportions of buildings. In the past I made some pretty amazing maps but now the demand has changed. I need a library of meshes that can be imported into the editor. Instead of mapping in 3DStudio or that dreadful piece of garbage -- Gtk Radiant, I would like to just drag them into a real-time editor that you can just drag and drop componets on the map's terrain. This produces some incredibly realistic maps that can be miles in size, which can take only a few hours to make oppose to a few months. I'm currently making maps for two games -- True Combat: Elite and C&C Renegade. Both contain incredibly powerful game engines.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
i dont have any experience with those two engines, i know C&C renegade is pretty damn old.
I used quake3,unreal tournament,lithtech (nolf2) and now currently HL2 engine which is da-bomb. I usually make parts in maya3d and then export them into radiant, which really is a crappy modeling tool, if you want to make anything more than flat walls.
If you want drag&drop functionality perhaps you should check Crytech FarCry engine, their editor is drag&drop.
But i never saw buildings meshes suitable for FPS on the net, mostly just architecture that can be used for far away backgrounds or a racing game, becouse all the normals are turned outwards, so if you want to use them in FPS and go into the buildings, youll have to do interior yourself. I find it very hard working on somebodys elses models.

good to see other modders in here

top topics

join