It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: USS Cole Attack Mastermind Escapes from Prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Jamal al-Badawi, who has been identified as a mastermind of the October 12, 2000, attack on the USS Cole in the Yemeni port of Aden, escaped from prison along with 23 others. At least 13 of the 23 escapees were known al-Qaeda fighters. Seventeen US sailors died in the attack on the USS Cole. Interpol, the international police agency, has issued an “urgent global security alert”

www.msnbc.msn.com
Yemeni officials confirmed to Interpol that a man considered a mastermind of the Cole attack, identified as Jamal al-Badawi, was among those who escaped.

Al-Badawi was among those sentenced to death in September 2004 for plotting the USS Cole attack. Two suicide bombers blew up an explosives-laden boat next to the destroyer as it refueled in the Yemeni port of Aden on Oct. 12, 2000.

Another of the 23 escapees was identified as Fawaz Yahya al-Rabeiee, considered by Interpol to be one of those responsible for a 2002 attack on the French tanker Limburg off Yemen’s coast. That attack killed a Bulgarian crew member and spilled 90,000 barrels of oil into the Gulf of Aden.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The attack on the USS Cole was tragic because of several factors. Firstly, we lost seventeen sailors. Secondly, if the rules of engagement had been rational at the time, it could have been prevented. Thirdly, the US response, or lack thereof, gave al-Qaeda incentive to perpetuate further and more deadly attacks on the US. It does not bode well for the war on terror that such a man is now at large.

Related News Links:
archives.cnn.com
archives.cnn.com
www.washingtonpost.com
www.washingtonpost.com

[edit on 2006/2/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Jamal al-Badawi was being held by US forces, so was it incompetence or allowed to escape?

Jamal al-Badawi and Abdallah Tabarak makes me think these characters are being chipped prior to escape/release, so they can be tracked back to bigger fish. Then comes a Hellfire missile and kaboom.

Al Qaeda Detainee's Mysterious Release
CIA beefs killer drone force

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Thirdly, the US response, or lack thereof, gave al-Qaeda incentive to perpetuate further and more deadly attacks on the US. It does not bode well for the war on terror that such a man is now at large.

SO which attacks are we referring to??? The ones after the Cole incident??

Lets see I am going on memory here so bare wit me.

93 WTC - Head of FBI was caught paying 1 million dollars to the person who was behind that attack. The guy who did the attack however didn't have the balls to finish thru like they wanted. Hence the towers didn't come down.

((On a side note here, In the movie Long Kiss Goodnight there is an interesting phase you would like to consider It goes something like this.

Samuel L's character - So your going to blow up a town(cant remember exact phrase here) To get your point across.

CIA Guy or whatever - Now we cant just think up 3000 people and say something happened so we are just going to have to do it for real.))

WTC 01 - Well just take a look at this forum and I don't need to offer much more than that.

Point is nothing is done by a bunch of morons in a hut. Everything is just a pretext for more thinks to come. Isn't it Ironic that 2 interesting developments happened in the last 2 weeks or so..

Some FBI Terror expert states that Bin Laden's crew has the ability to use nukes and biological attacks on the US. A few days later Bin Laden comes out and says withdraw or else.. then calls a truce or something..

Anyway point is they are just gearing up for something bigger and better so we can sit in front of our TVs for 2 weeks and wonder wtf is going on.. while out freedoms and liberties are eroded away into nothingness.

[edit on 2/5/2006 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Escaped? Yeah, right... Now we have easy scapegoats to blame for future attacks... This administration is a lot smarter than they get credit for...

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Regne how do you get that US forces were holding him? The article clearly states

An al-Qaida operative sentenced to death for plotting the USS Cole bombing that killed 17 sailors in 2000 was among a group of convicts who escaped from a Yemen prison last week, Interpol said Sunday in issuing a global security alert.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm glad someone posted this news, I was just about to when I saw this article.

Can anyone confirm who held the 'keys' to let this man out, and who was responsible for making sure he stayed put? It seems strange to me that the Americans would let this guy go, unless of course they were fielding him as an agent, or just letting him run to see where he goes.

It's not the first time Al-Qaeda peeps have jumped jail (IIRC). I guess there're enough locked up that it could be explained away as a simple matter of odds. If you lock up enough terrorists, eventually some are going to bust out.

I don't know what's actually going on here, we really don't have enough evidence to figure that out yet. This could be the setup for a false flag, or it could be a stunt to put this guy in play for the benefit of his handlers, or it could be a legitimate prison break engineered by his extremist compatriots.

Maybe he was killed in prison, and this is a cover story?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Feb. 5th, 2006
Yemen Security Officials announced the excape of convicted al-Qaida members, but did not provide any details or names.
ABC News

Feb. 5th, 2006
Interpol issues an urgen global security alert, known as an Orange alert. Stating the escape involved a 140 meter tunel dug by the prisoners and outsided conspiritors. Interpol Secretary general asked Yemen to provide Interpol with the names, fingerprints, etc.
Interpol Media Release

Feb. 6th, 2006
Interpol has not yet issued "Red Noticies" for the escaped individuals because although Yemen has provided the individual information, Yemen has not provided National Warrant required to support a "Red Notice". It is believed that they escaped Thursday night via a tunnel to a mosque, since the tunnel leads from the prison to the mosque and they were not around on Friday.
Kalkhaleej Times

2 known names are: Jamal al-Badawi & Fawaz Yahya al-Rabeiee.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Oops, forgot to add a coincidence I noticed.

Feb. 6th, 2006
The Saudi Fund for Development, has granted a $392 million in loans to Yemen, to carry out development projects in the country.
Saudi Arabia grants $392 million in loans to Yemen

Na,

probably just coincidence.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Regne how do you get that US forces were holding him? The article clearly states

Article says one thing, and Wiki said another...my bad

After hearing his sentence, Al-Bedawi declared "This is an unjust verdict, this is an American verdict. There are no human rights in the world, except for the Americans. All the Muslims in the world are being used to serve American interests." His family announced they would appeal. Because he was being held by U.S. forces, the other defendant sentenced to death... wiki

Practice makes perfect? Suspects In USS Cole Bombing Escape | April 30, 2003

Or is it time to check those GPS tracking implants, cause Santa Osama is coming to town?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
These guys served more time than those who killed 34 US citizens aboard the USS Liberty. Thanks for the link to the Saudi loans, that is very interesting.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The attack on the USS Cole was tragic because of several factors. Firstly, we lost seventeen sailors. Secondly, if the rules of engagement had been rational at the time, it could have been prevented.

What was irrational about the rules of engagement?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   

What was irrational about the rules of engagement?

Probably that the small boat could not be fired on by the USS Cole while in port. I'm not that familar with the details, if they saw it coming or not....but that could have been a ROE issue.

[edit on 6/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I did a little digging, and got this from Wiki

The destroyer's rules of engagement, as approved by the Pentagon, kept its guards from firing upon the small boat loaded with explosives as it neared them without first obtaining permission from the Cole's captain or another officer. Petty Officer John Washak said that right after the blast, a senior chief petty officer ordered him to turn an M-60 machine gun on the Cole's fantail away from a second small boat approaching. "With blood still on my face," he said, he was told: "That's the rules of engagement no shooting unless we're shot at." He added, "In the military, it's like we're trained to hesitate now. If somebody had seen something wrong and shot, he probably would have been court-martialed." Petty Officer Jennifer Kudrick said that if the sentries had fired on the suicide craft "we would have gotten in more trouble for shooting two foreigners than losing 17 American sailors."
en.wikipedia.org...

Not from the most reliable source, but it sounds reasonable.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's a real no-win situation. If they would have shot then there probably would have been a huge international incident resulting in embassy raids in Sanaa and other countries too which could have led to more than 17 American deaths. But if you don't shoot you risk losing lives.

I did a search and could'nt find anything on the current policy for circumstances like the USS Cole. The "don't shoot until fired upon" rule is the minimum. Many countries have agreements between each other that set different rules for cases like this, or in some places the country provides security for the ship(s).

[edit on 6/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
What ever happened to the old "fire one across the bow" action? If you did that and they continued toward you, then I'd say you have justification for lowering your aim just a tad...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
International incidents are created by not adhering to the ROE in the military in situations such as the USS Cole. What if it was a boat that was jsut getting to close ? I like how suddenly this guy escaping is part of some US conspiracy and he is a CIA mole. Some of you guys should write for Clancy.

The one good thing, is that if we can locate this man, he may lead us to others in the AQ network.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Still no red notice from Interpol.

I guess that Yemen still hasn't provided a warrant. They must be terribly embarrased about the tunnel being dug from the mosque to the prison.

These guys could be anywhere, and there is no warrant.

Strange world.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
NPR News reports that the FBI is going to hunt down the escapees.
The FBI? I thought they were domestic?

Also, the Yemeni interior minister is questioning intelligence officers about the escape.

"It couldn't have happened without the coordination of high ranking officers in the intelligence," said one official. He pointed to possible infiltration of the intelligence agency by militants.

Did Qaeda Fugitives Get Inside Help?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Has anyone else noted that the tunnel they escaped in ended up in a mosque? (women's section no less
)

There is no doubt in my mind they had either inside/outside help or perhaps a combination of both

-----

makeitso

The FBI works with many foreign agencies to capture wanted criminals, and are responble for foriegn intelligence and arrests.

Legal Attaché Offices

[edit on 2/6/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   

NPR News reports that the FBI is going to hunt down the escapees.

The FBI can work overseas as long as the host nation says it's ok.

Many US missions have "legats" which are FBI agents assigned to take care of US affairs in thier assigned country...and sometimes for certain situations they can get more man power to help out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join