It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SuitSat: Can you hear me Maj. Ivanovich??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I can't recall seeing a story about this on the board. This week, a surplus Russian space suit was fitted with a radio transmitter, christened Ivan Ivanovich and pushed-off from the International Space Station. The suit will automatically transmit a recorded message, a slow-scan TV image (SSTV) and some telemetry on 145.990 (FM). Here's the background story:

Background

Preparations Pictures

It seemed as though the project was dead but radio operators have been picking-up the signal --- although it is very weak. Here is the home page for the project:

SuitSat

Unfortunately for me, the orbit period brings it overhead at my location in the very early morning hours. So far I just haven't been able to muster the energy to get up that early. However, I did detect the carrier yesterday several times. Is anyone else on the board listening for it?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I heard it about 45 minutes ago when it came over my place in Minnesota.

It was very weak and in and out of the noise. I realy couldn't make much out and tried to recieve the Slow Scan TV picture but there just wasn't enough signal strength.

I was using an 11 element Yagi antenna and a preamp but the transmitter
is only 500 milliwats.

It hit a Max elevation last pass of 56 degrees. I'm hoping there will be some higher passes this week before the batteries wear down on the transmitter.

kc0jfy

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
KC...

Did you hear anything besides the carrier? That's all I've been able to detect. Also, did you report your reception?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It just sounded like a weak carrier in and out of the noise.

I am going to email AMSAT and tell them about it.

I see on my tracking software I will have a pass tonight at 75 degrees elevation and I'm hoping I will get a chance to hear it better and copy the SSTV picture.

kc0jfy

top topics

join