It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Finnish air-force

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
and heres another about Northwolfs Lappeenranta airshow showing in the aircraft secton the very same gloster Gauntlet unless im very much mistaken.

yhdistykset.etela-karjala.fi...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Yeah, the Finnish war effort was more or less superhuman. It feels good to share borders with them

www.1000pictures.com...
Their aces had better scores than many of the Soviet, Brittish, American and French aces. Kind of amazing when you hear about the planes they used.

Here is a nice text about one pretty famous ace, Kyösti Karhila, who's relatives live in my neighborhood

www.virtualpilots.fi...

"We had about 30 airworthy Messerschmitts and about 60 airworthy bombers, whereas Russians concentrated to the Isthmus 1585 aircraft plus 200 Navy Air Force aircraft."

However, Finland should have bought JAS39-Gripen instead of F-18 ;-)

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Helix]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Nice. I am interested in which transport plane will be selected instead of Fokker F.27. Because our air force must buy them too (as first).

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Matej
FAF is testing Casa C-295s and Alenia C-27J "Spartans" at cold temperatures, so it will most likely be one of those..

Helix
I agree with you about the JAS would have been a better plane, but wasn't available when we needed a replacement for Mig-21Bis and Drakken

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helix

However, Finland should have bought JAS 39 Gripen instead of F-18 ;-)

I agree...
The Gripen is a superb plane... it is nice to se the first Swede here...
I love Sweden, what a beautiful country... And I even speak SWEDISH as my mothertongue...
... but it still nice to have some American muscle here...

In what city do you live nortwolf... That background looks a bit like Kauhava... I was a bit disappouinted in the last years air-show at Kauhava... no British or American planes... The only time I really get to see them...

One more question... What do you guys think of the Vinka... I thik that it's one of the best planes... the only strange thing is that it doens't have a throttle stick...

And northwolf... Is it just rumour that we might think about buying the A400... That could also be a nice plane... And our defense minister said that we migh buy planes togheter with an other country...

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I live in Lappeenranta...
Our airshow is on of the biggest in scandinavia... Good selection of jets and older planes. We had a USAF Stratotanker, F-16s (from several countries), Mirages, Hunter... and lots of other planes..

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hello all you Finnish army fanatics.. I hereby enlist myself to your kind. Not that I'm a fanatic, but thought I'd let you know there's one finn as well.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That is nice...

Oh yes northwolf, I should stop by someday. I have so many planes that I haven't seen yet. And it is hardly a secret that the best planes have always been positioned in the eastern part of the country, due the geographical point...

And during the yearly training operation "Ruska" you have a chanse to see the planes fly from your schoolbench...

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Figher Master FIN

To add something to this thread, Finland had also FW-44J Stiglitz's used as a trainers. Theres still one of these bi-planes in flight, privately owned i think.

Here is the one taxing on Pori Airfield

And if i remember correctly, theres also one full piece of these in finnish airforce museum.

Anyways, nice thread!

Regards,
Marjastaja (The Berry Picker)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join