It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Suing Cops ... for Spying on Cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Source
The irony couldn't be more clear. New York City police and their union, the Police Benevolent Association, are suing the NYPD for spying on them at rallies and demonstrations held during their contract dispute with the city in the summer of 2004.

As reported on the front page of today's New York Times,the lawsuit, whose plaintiffs include New York firefighters and other police unions, charges that the NYPD's own surveillance of off-duty cops who attended these rallies was so heavy-handed and "intimidating" that it violated their civil rights.

The cops' lawyer even called videotaping a form of "political harrassment."

This is sick. The police have no problem when it comes to spying on American citizens for political reasons, yet when their members become victim to their own behaviors, its suddenly harrassment and intimidation.

I live in a small town and have thought about taking pictures of local police as they enter and exit the station. To take pictures of their vehicles and thier activites. I doubt they will enjoy the attention

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others. – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
With respect, how do you gather information on criminals by the way if watching someone is spying on them?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Devilwasp
With respect, how do you gather information on criminals by the way if watching someone is spying on them?

I didnt realize that political activism or protesting was considered a criminal activity.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xibalba
I didnt realize that political activism or protesting was considered a criminal activity.

I never said it was, I asked you a very general question since you above provided the opinion that police are "spying" on the american public, I asked the question.
Political activism and protests can quickly turn into crimes and riots.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Come on now, do you really belive it to be 'opinion' that the police and the US government are Not spying on American citizens? Even before the 'War on Terror' there was Echelon, and Carnivore. It goes farther than just video taping peacefull gatherings or photographing people.

NSA mounted massive spy op on Baltimore peace group, documents show

Archive of news stories on Denver Police spy files

Originally posted by devilwasp
Political activism and protests can quickly turn into crimes and riots.

Sorry, I belive the majority of mass gatherings and actions are peaceful. Wether or not you consider charges such as loitering or causing a disturbance on government property (most of which are dropped before ever going to trial) are truely crimes, I cant see any need to waste all that money and manpower for this type of behavior.

Not to mention the more sinister effects of governments spying on their own citizens.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Come on now, do you really belive it to be 'opinion' that the police and the US government are Not spying on American citizens?

You want me to believe that we have american citizens spying on american citizens?

Even before the 'War on Terror' there was Echelon, and Carnivore. It goes farther than just video taping peacefull gatherings or photographing people.

Mate if they government is watching all of us that requires MASSIVE manpower, what would be the point?

Sorry, I belive the majority of mass gatherings and actions are peaceful. Wether or not you consider charges such as loitering or causing a disturbance on government property (most of which are dropped before ever going to trial) are truely crimes, I cant see any need to waste all that money and manpower for this type of behavior.

Well I believe mass gatherins are peaceful but many turn into other things.

Not to mention the more sinister effects of governments spying on their own citizens.

Mate if the US government wanted to spy on you it could do it easily and effectively and without your knowledge.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Devilwasp You want me to believe that we have american citizens spying on american citizens?

Theres plenty of evidence to say so. Belive what you want. Thats your choice. But I personally would say it goes farther, the US government uses private corporations to spy on americans also. Remember the TIPS program?

Mate if they government is watching all of us that requires MASSIVE manpower, what would be the point?

The answer is self-censorship. Obviously they cant watch everything, all the time. Intimidate people to shut their mouths and keep inside.

Mate if the US government wanted to spy on you it could do it easily and effectively and without your knowledge.

Sure, but again self-censorship is much cheaper and easier.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Theres plenty of evidence to say so. Belive what you want. Thats your choice. But I personally would say it goes farther, the US government uses private corporations to spy on americans also. Remember the TIPS program?

One larger question: What would be the point?
Watching an entire populance would bring very little in the light of control, controlling that many individuals is very difficult at best, corporations still need peopel to run it and people are unpredictable.

The answer is self-censorship. Obviously they cant watch everything, all the time. Intimidate people to shut their mouths and keep inside.

Keep inside can backfire VERY seriosly, aka making terrorists work lone wolf or just act spontaniosly.

Sure, but again self-censorship is much cheaper and easier.

Not realy lol, it doesnt cost that much to put a man a mile away on a hill with a pair of binos.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
One larger question: What would be the point?

I dont know, maybe you should ask John Poindexter or any other involved in the TIPS program. You could ask the police who are being sued for the spying.

Watching an entire populance would bring very little in the light of control, controlling that many individuals is very difficult at best, corporations still need peopel to run it and people are unpredictable.

Didnt stop the USSR or East Germany or China. And the US government seems more than eager to try.

new topics

top topics

join