It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyotes in the City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Last Tuesday a siren went off on a thoroughfare near here and right behind my house in the creek bed at least 4 coyotes set up a howl in response. I know what coyotes sound like having lived where they were a feature of the land. The pressure of urban sprawl has attracted or forced them into scavenging in the city.
Then last night I heard them attack and kill a neighbor's little dog that stays outside. It only lasted about 15 seconds but I am still just sick over it. I keep my animals in at night but what can we do to repel the coyotes? I fear once people get angry the guns and poison will come out and more domestic pets will suffer as a result.
I called the police and informed them, also emailed DOW but I don't know anything they can do. Does any one know of a method of repeling these wildland animals short of killing them? It is very much a worry and even frightening for me as I live alone except for my pets. My yard is "secure" altho' they can climb the fence. What can be done? Anyone?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Not much.

Coyotes in urban settings are very common. I have even seen them in Washington, DC.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
OOOOfff, Cape Cod is loaded with Cayotes. I wouldnt set foot outside in the dark for all the tea in China.
They are out in the daytime too... I dont know of anyway i can scare them off, so i get out of their ways.

They should sell some kind of Cayote repellent or something.

Someone out there must know how to get rid of them (without killing them, of course)

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You can try any of the various methods of dog-proofing your yard, but I suspect you will be less than successful. The various deer repellants will not work on coyotes.

You must remove the coyotes' food source, which you cannot do alone. Your neighbors cooperation is also needed. Don't feed your pets outdoors, since that is also feeding raccoons, skunks, etc, which in turn draws the coyotes in. Bird and squirrel feeders are also attractants.

Alas, the only sure method is manual elimination.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alikospah
I called the police and informed them, also emailed DOW.

Do you live in Midland, Mi?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I live in Colorado Springs at the moment right up against the mountain so coyotes are a feature and normal for the region. It is just dangerous for them to come into the city and dangerous to the domestic pets that are unprotected. Coyotes have moved in where wolves once roamed and have made a necessary place for themselvs.

I looked around online and I can buy Mountain Lion urine, to spread around the creek bed monthly. That will definitely send them on their way. First I'll have to show my kitty that I'm the one that's putting in there so she won't be afraid of her favorite haunts. I knew there had to something and that is one thing they won't want to be near.

My yard is dog proof, I had to fight with a female that was an escape artist so coyotes can't get in and if they could they couldn't get out before my male would kill them. He's a big grey wolf mix.

The wildlife is pressured here, there is so much building going on and if it were possible, people would build right on the side of the steep mountain. Last fall I had three raccoons move in. Some neighbors were feeding them and they moved into my place. They didn't survive it. It is not a good thing to feed wildlife, they get dependent and make life miserable and dangerous for their neighbors who may not appreciate raccoons and coyotes hanging around or moving into their garages or outbuildings. My dog that killed the raccoons had terrible blisters on his muzzle for about two weeks that steroids finally cleared up. No rabies tho', haven't had that around here in decades.

I am definitely going to get the Mountain Lion stuff and use it down in the creek. Still it was a thrill to hear them sound off, about four of them with their high pitched yammer.

new topics

top topics

join