It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish embassy ablaze

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

It is a shame that it is against the law to carry weapons in Aussie, and even posses weapons I believe. Didn't they have statistics showing that crimes went up after these laws came into effect? I remember reading something about this a while back.

that depends on how you want to interperate the stats....

Claim: Statistics demonstrate that crime rates in Australia have increased substantially since the government there instituted a gun buy-back program in 1997.

For example, the first entry states that "Homicides are up 3.2%." This statistic is misleading because it reflects only the absolute number of homicides rather than the homicide rate. (A country with a rapidly-growing population, for example, might experience a higher number of crimes even while its overall crime rate decreased.) An examination of statistics from the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) reveals that the overall homicide rate in Australia has changed little over the past decade and actually dipped slightly after the 1997 gun buy-back program. (The chart found at this link also demonstrates how easily statistics based on small sample sizes can mislead, as when the homicide rate in Tasmania increased nearly eight-fold in one year based on a single incident in which 35 people were killed.)

back on topic ->

What i believe should be happening is that thos radical Muslims who make themselves known by inciting violence against the west and committing violent crimes should be shipped back to their countires of origin and they should be flagged as "dangerous"

I think that is a short term solution and oversimplistic. I think that ideal would only shift the problem; perhaps it would be easier to manage though? The solution lies in tolerance/respect and at times I feel it it really a one way street.

Now if I were to go to the ME then I would have to comply for my own safety and respect for their culture with my clothing. Now Muslim women don't have to fear anyone attacking them in Australia because they dress the way they do...we accept their different beliefs and their right to express themselves however they choose. The double standard Westpoint provides with the cartoons is pathetic. The pot is calling the kettle black...so pathetic...

Nat
ps ty for the compliment

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

If they really wanted to show support, I'm sure there would have been a better way, coz you know a lot of Arabs are hot-headed
(could be the heat..)

*chuckles* hey I like that

Islam and Christianity have had a long bloody past stretching back to the crusades, but I believe us to be truly brothers in faith in a way. yes, we have seperate beliefs, but we also have similiar as well.

As a christian I respect the beliefs of islam and believe that the cartoons are in very bad taste that they knew would have this response to it. I respect what the Vatican says about the west needing to realise there should be limits on assaulting another's beliefs.

what might help the muslim world is the understanding that in the west, politics and religion have been more or less seperated, not quite like in the mid-east where Islam and government sometimes go hand in hand and muslims might perceive this as not only disrespecting their faith but also might consider it as an attack on their government, where as in the west we would be more likely to respond to an attack on the government than we would a faith.

We need to build some bridges

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
That totally ruins the stereotype of Islam being a peaceful and tolerant religion.

I've often heard that Islam is supposed to be peaceful and tolerant but I've never seen any such actions. These events just show how intolerant many of the people in the midle east are. And how little they know about Europe and the western world. They haven't only torched the danish embassy but the Norwegian too. The Swedish and Chilean embassy was in the same building as the Danish so they are ruined too.

They also burned a Swiss flag thinking it was Danish. Great job there..

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It seems that more and more moderates are beginning to be heard. Both here on ATS, and elsewhere. This is all to the good. It might behoove some of us to moderate our stances just a mite. Concern and anger are warrented yes, but to cast the blanket over all Muslims is not. I am, and probably will be again, as guilty of generalization as anyone.

My apologies go out to the moderate Muslims out there who might read this. I am still concerned and angered over these incidents and others past, present, and future; but I will try, no guarentees mind you, to remember that not all Muslims are terroristic monsters.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
What's a little fire from "The religon of peace" These people are just nuts. Plain and simple. They love to fan the fires around the world and bring attention to their cause. In one way or another, they have been at war with their neighbors for over four thousand years. That is kinda funny from the religon of peace. But what they fail as a religon to realize is that Jesus Christ is for the most part, portrayed dangling from a cross in which his hands and feet are impaled by iron nails. I'm fairly well compelled to say that the cartoon was not meant to be malicious in nature. Even if it were, why can't the people of the religon of peace take a joke?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I bear no ill will towards you, or anyone else on the boards, seagull. No matter how much I may disagree or disapprove of their statements. I understand, tensions are high right now, these fools going about destroying property in the name of defending my Prophet should really think back, think about what the original message of the Prophet was.

I relate to you a story that I was once told when I was younger, which I have mentioned in another thread about the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) In the early years of Islam, the Prophet was violently opposed by members of his community, the Bani Quraish. They even flung feces at him in their protests (they haven't figured out how to make molotov cocktails yet..
) It was so bad that even the Angels couldn't take it. The Angels told Muhammad, "We are ready to bring down the mountains surrounding the town to destroy this people, at your command." The Prophet, in his limitless kindness and patience told the Angels no.

Pelted with rocks, the Prophet was. Spat at, insulted, assaulted even. But Muhammad (S.A.W.) did not respond in kind. Instead, he regarded them with kindness, respect, tollerance and courtesy. Eventually the Bani Quraish felt ashamed at what they have done and started listening to the Prophet.

That was the message he brought. That was the way he won them over. Not by ordering their destruction, not by setting ablaze their property.

I am appaled at the way these violent protesters choose to defend our good Prophet. It is a complete reverse of what he would have approved.

Where are my other muslim brethrens? Do you deny that these acts go against what the Prophet has taught us? Would you say that these actions are justifiable? Can you not see that it will only serve to further widen the gap between muslims and the West?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

I am appaled at the way these violent protesters choose to defend our good Prophet. It is a complete reverse of what he would have approved.

Where are my other muslim brethrens? Do you deny that these acts go against what the Prophet has taught us? Would you say that these actions are justifiable? Can you not see that it will only serve to further widen the gap between muslims and the West?

Hi Beachcoma... it does widen the gap I feel you have to trust in the intelligence of people in general.

Australian's were very shocked by the riots in Cronulla but, one very good thing came out of it. Everyone came out saying 'this is not going to be tolerated'. The Muslim groups and Aust people came together to acknowledge there was a problem and addressed it. The tension was fixed pretty quickly, there may still exist some underlying tension but you had Muslim leaders calling a curfew, Muslim parents and Australian parents supporting that curfew. Fed/State Govt's/Police came down hard in this area, closing the suburb off so it didnt escalate any further. Muslim and Australian men came together and were talking about it...shaking their hands on tv. What that message said loud and clear to everyone was that even though there exist differences we are willing to work together to bridge the gap.

Now I haven't seen any Muslims demonstrating over the cartoons in AU..nor have I heard any derogative comments about the issue by other Australians. They dont equate that situation with Muslims over here. And perhaps we are all too busy enjoying life down under to walk around being angry or pointing the finger

edit: to take koala pic off cos too big.. drats

[edit on 7-2-2006 by NJE777]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
i found these new pic's on a duch site , if the nice pic's created sutch a noise , i wonder what these would do if printed in news lol

www.retecool.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join