It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish embassy ablaze

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I feel it is such a shame, this really just promotes further conflict...and I am not so sure we muslim/western world can find a balance....

Sometimes violence is a necessary means by which to accomplish a just cause, I would image self-defense constitutes a just cause.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero

Then you must be dumber than a box of rocks.

Thank you. Now, this forum does have decorum in regards to how one should carry himself and how one should treat others on this forum. Please follow suit. We're not children here.

I find it odd that someone who touts Christ cannot come to terms with tolerence.

Luxifero

Please do not tell me to how to respond to idiocy.

Please do not bring Jesus Christ into something you can not argue your way out of.

Tolerance is a catch word for liberals that for them means accept everything and anything that comes around whether it offends one or not. I am offended by muslim radicals bombing innocent "infidels" around the globe, then begging for "TOLERANCE" when they get the snot beat out of them.

I understand the rules of decorum, do you understand the rules of war?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sometimes I think we should all take a little tip from Communists when it comes to protesters like this...

I'm usually pretty understanding, but this is really getting on my nerves. Its comepletely deranged that they don't realise there own stupidity.

They've crossed the line, I'd have no qualms about soldiers firing into the crowds. =/

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
ironic, they dont do this when alot worse is done to them....

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One wonders if the deep-rooted anger they show is more reflected on the fact that maybe their religious uproar is indeed misplaced pride.

Maybe they should use their resources, educate themselves and expand their newfound perspectives to the rest of the planet.

Maybe they will learn what the word TOLERABLE means.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Fantastic, danish embassy in Lebanon is burning too now.
I wonder how will this end and whether our children will learn that WWIII started because of stupid cartoons.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Exactly, they are simply stupid cartoons, a bit of fun, a joke, nothing to cry about, get it?

As someone suggested, maybe the West should continue creating more of these cartoons regularly and then Muslims who don't see able to cope with a simple cartoon might even get used to them and see that it is only a little thing called humour.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

I think its bad enough for the Jordanian editors..wonder how the Danes will deal with this?

Well the Danish President has already bailed out, apologizing to the Muslims for his country because they ran the cartoons, damn politicians they have no spine

But I don’t think they can arrest the editors.

The Danish Prime Minister have NEVER apologized for anything, but have regretted that the feelings of a lot of muslims were hurt. It makes no sense for the Danish Government to apologize for anything, since it doesn't have any influence on the media what so ever. For the same reason nothing will happend to the responsible editors.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This is what is so tragic about all of this. That people of goodwill, such as Kacen earlier, are coming to the conclusion that the Muslims worldwide are going to far in their protests.

Unfortunatly, I can no longer count myself among them. It is time for Islam to be taught a lesson. This really sucks. Nothing was done that warrents the burning of an embassy. The lesson need not be bombing, cutting all aid to the region would be sufficient.

I will ask again, as I have in several other posts. Where are the so-called moderate voices of Islam.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Sigh...

Hello people, I'm new to the boards (intro here), just thought I'd add my two cents.

As a muslim, I'm ashamed at the current turn of events. I think those Syrian and Lebanese protesters are dumber than a sack of bricks, and their leaders should be flayed for making a bad situation worse.

On the other hand you have these cartoons. The first time it was printed, fine, they were testing the waters. It was in bad taste, but what's done is done, and even the papers that published them have apologized. Alright. Good. Let's all shake hands and be good now.

And then papers in France, Germany, Italy and Spain reprint cartoons.

What kind of idiot mentality is this? You know it's a touchy subject, you gotta fan the flames? Sigh...

Anyway back on track, the embassy arsons. Another act of complete idiocy. You've got people insinuating -- no -- claiming outright, that you and your lot are terrorist. What do you do? You prove them right. Foolish. These aren't muslims. They're just a bunch of stupid, angry, Syrian and Lebanese delinquents. By all means, they are terrorists. And rather shallow for not seeing the complexities of the world stage as it is.

I just ask one thing of you all, please, please DO NOT equate all muslims as terrorists. We're not all that bad. Take my country for example, Malaysia. While we find the catalyst for this situation (the cartoons) distasteful, we only protest about it is verbally (and hopefully tactfully).

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Beachcoma, welcome. Thank you for your voice, hopefully more will join you.

Way Above on the way.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by seagull]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
You have voted Beachcoma for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Well said, and welcome aboard. I am puzzeled why some Muslims seem hell bent on fostering the view that the Muslim religion is intollerent and violent?
We all know that this isnt a true vision of Islam but it does pander to the fears of the West.
Why do they still insist upon reinforcing that view?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I realize that the Arabs are angry but do they not see the same things against Judaism in their own media. The Arab media has been for decades rampantly publishing derogatory remarks about the Jews and their religion but NONE of them have even come close to saying " Hey this might hurt the JEWS" and now that the same thing has been done to them. They've gone all postal !

What I want to say is this reflects on the massive divide between both the civilizations and the attitudes of the people. In the West it is not the mark of a civilized society to condone violence and let other nations embassies to be burnt to the ground. That is just not civilized here.
But in the Middle East they believe that supporting Mohammad is their civilization, religion comes first and to NOT protest would be seen as an uncivilized.

The real problem here is the clash of civilizations and values, freedom being the equivalent of religion. As the poster above said, he is from Malaysia, which again has a very different attitude and values when compared to the Middle East. Thus, the absence of burning embassies.

Also the reason I would think for the repeated postings of the cartoon is because of the reactions form the Muslim society. If you react to something and that too improperly, then the news media would want to show defiance, to exert their rights, which they have been guaranteed. This in a way would set the wheel turning again and start the provocation-retaliation thing again.
But it is important for the people of the Middle East to realize that NOTHING, NOT even Religion comes before freedom in the West.

FREEDOM IS OUR RELIGION !

Here is an article that is very thought provoking on the entire issue :
National Review

[edit on 5-2-2006 by IAF101]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I myself believe strongly in Freedom of Expression and Freedom of Speech. I also believe that such freedoms should be exercised with responsibility (which only requires common sense to determine)

For example, torching those embassies in protest, that in itself is a form of freedom of expression. Does it make it right? Common sense dictates otherwise.

I personally do not condone the reprinting of those cartoons under the banner of Freedom of Expression. Common sense would indicate this to be a thoroughly unwise move, basing it on previous experience (take note that the cartoons were first printed sometime towards the end of September 2005, only to be reprinted earlier this month)

I am not the only one who feels this way. Others have stated similiar beliefs.

Original News Source

* Iraq's top Shia Muslim cleric Ayatollah Ali Sistani condemned the publication, but said militant Islamists were partly to blame for distorting the image of Islam

* Palestinians protested in Ramallah on the West Bank, shouting: "The assault on the Prophet is an assault on Islam"

* Afghan President Hamid Karzai called for Muslims to be forgiving, saying the cartoons should not cause a dispute between cultures

* The Pakistani upper house of parliament unanimously passed a resolution condemning the cartoons

* French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said the Muslim protests were "unacceptable" but also criticises the cartoons

* Vatican cardinal Achille Silvestrini condemned the cartoons, saying Western culture had to know its limits.

(Emphasis in bold was added by me)

Freedom does not mean the freedom to insult the sensibilities of others. As I've stated in my previous post, reprinting the cartoons was a bad move. It's little wonder a lot of muslims are inflamed. I myself am angry it was reprinted, especially in the knowledge of what would happen next. At least I don't go running around the streets torching buildings (of which I am angry about as well)

If in-roads are to be made to promote better understanding between cultures, a little bit of tact and a little bit of courtesy goes a long way (I'm speaking to both sides here)

Salaam

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

And then papers in France, Germany, Italy and Spain reprint cartoons.

What kind of idiot mentality is this? You know it's a touchy subject, you gotta fan the flames? Sigh...

You know, you sound like an intelligent ad understanding individual to me, but I’m going to have to disagree with you here. Those cartoons would not have been reprinted if there had not been such uproar over them. However since there was, the other European countries felt the need to show that they would not be silenced and that they would also exercise their rights. And I firmly support and agree with them for doing so.

Also, as an atheist I don’t give much value to what the Vatican says pertaining to my rights, their colorful past concerning freedom of expression shows me all I need to know.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hey, I have no problems if they want to show their support, by all means, please. I support freedom of expression too. But I firmly believe that with that freedom there comes a responsibility. I just feel that reprinting something that is inflammatory is not the way to go about it. I just feel that they should have used better judgement.

It just seems like yet another attack amongst many by the Western Media of late towards Islam. And I think that's how a lot of other muslims see it as well.

If they really wanted to show support, I'm sure there would have been a better way, coz you know a lot of Arabs are hot-headed
(could be the heat..)

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Beach has a point. Its just making things worse to reprint the ads, its more out of spite.

I never said all Muslims in General are responsible, I was always referring to these Muslims. Every religion has a group of idiots in it that misrepresents the rest...we need to understand that.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why are they suprised ??
The Arabs have been for decades been publishing these kind of cartoons about Israel and the Jews. Its not confined to one paper or one section of the news media but is wide spread. The government operated news agencies also contain hate filled cartoons against the Jews and Israel. Why dont they realize that this hurts other people too ? Do they think that they can criticise whom they want but nobody should criticise them ?Now the Arabs face similar cartoons against themselves and they go postal. Is this not a double standard ?
Oomaya Joha-Prominent Arab Cartoonist
Anti-Semetic Motifs in the Middle East
A collection for Seven Arab Countries
I mean with the amount of hate the muslim world has shown to Judaism I doubt even the NAZI's have shown. For nearly 50 years this hate campaign has not had any respite.

Also its not that Israel has ever voiced its concerns about them has it? The US has repeatedly called for them to be stopped but to no avail. What makes the muslims think that the Europeans should stop ?
ADL asks Mubarak to Stop Anti-Semetism

As to why the European news media have published them France Soire has this to say;

BBC News
The paper said it had decided to republish them "because no religious dogma can impose itself on a democratic and secular society".
The global controversy the cartoons have provoked "has done nothing to maintain balance and mutual limits in democracy, respect of religious beliefs and freedom of expression", it added.

Under the headline "Yes, we have the right to caricature God", France Soir ran a front page cartoon of Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian gods floating on a cloud.

It shows the Christian deity saying: "Don't complain, Muhammad, we've all been caricatured here."

The arabs should know how it feels. If they want others to stop publishing hateful cartoons they should stop themselves first. Those who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones at others.
This is not the first case of relgion bashing in the world and its only proper that the protesters realise this. If you want it to stop, I would think that the Muslims would have to police themselves first. So that we dont see more of these :

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
That totally ruins the stereotype of Islam being a peaceful and tolerant religion.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
lol I was like carry what?
its against the law to carry!

lmao
& I am a woos anyhow so really don't think it would help.

I feel it is such a shame, this really just promotes further conflict...and I am not so sure we muslim/western world can find a balance....

It is a shame that it is against the law to carry weapons in Aussie, and even posses weapons I believe. Didn't they have statistics showing that crimes went up after these laws came into effect? I remember reading something about this a while back.

If you are afraid of going out by yourself and expressing your thoughts, you should be in a large group of friends when going out, or you could learn self defense if you want to be more self reliant.

If you don't like martial arts, or don't think you are brave enough, you seem to be a nice gal and you are very beautiful, so i am certain you won't have any trouble finding someone that will come to your help when needed, just don't go on dark alleys at night by yourself.

In response to the topic of this thread, to me it seems as if more and more moderates are crossing the line and becoming more radical, or were they radical all along just disguising as moderates?

I don't believe all Muslim people are like this but if things like this keep happening i see the innocent Muslims paying for this because radical Islamists are cowards and they hide among their own people and don't care if their own people are hurt or die because of their actions.

What i believe should be happening is that thos radical Muslims who make themselves known by inciting violence against the west and committing violent crimes should be shipped back to their countires of origin and they should be flagged as "dangerous", but real moderate Muslims that don't believe in "submitting the world to Islam by the sword" and don't incite any violence should not be paying for what the radicals are doing.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by Muaddib]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join