It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish embassy ablaze

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well, it seems the payback for the cartoon has begun.
This could so easy gain momentum into something we all do not want.

www.cnn.com...
Hundreds of Syrian demonstrators stormed the Danish Embassy in Damascus Saturday and set fire to the building, witnesses said.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie

This is becoming a de facto religious war before our eyes... :shk:

Very frightening.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Already being covered in this thread.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Already being covered in this thread.

This is a story on its own, burning is worst than being on a list.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
And this is where the crime comes into the picture. Drawing a cartoon or speaking beliefs is one thing, expressing one's self. Burning down a building (taking action as opposed to exercising free speech) is quite another.

There must be a line drawn between speech and action.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow! Look at the embassy !

Demonstrators had broken through police barriers and used the concrete barricades protecting the embassy as ladders to climb inside the building and set it on fire.

“With our blood and souls we defend you, O Prophet of God,” they chanted.

Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with a green flag printed with the words: “There is no god but God and Mohammed is the messenger of God.”

This is getting serious and an attack on an embassy means that it amounts to attacking Denmark ! All this for what ?

CARTOONS !!

[edit on 4-2-2006 by IAF101]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Perhaps all of those European countries who had their embassies attacked should just close those embassies and cut off all financial aid to those nations.

Right now the EU donates more to the Middle East than the Arab nations do.
Let's see how well they get along without it.

Donor_Atlas.pdf

[edit on 4-2-2006 by AceOfBase]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If a book is written giving offense, a death threat is proclaimed (Salman Rushdi). If films........ a murder takes place (Van Gogh). If a cartoon ...........an embassy is burned (current thread).
These are not people with whom Western society can deal through other means than force.

I hope they put the cartoon on T-Shirts. i'll wear one proudly.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I want one with the Bomber Brain on it!

It would be great riding a motorcycle through traffic with that on.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Well, it seems the payback for the cartoon has begun.

www.cnn.com...
Hundreds of Syrian demonstrators stormed the Danish Embassy in Damascus Saturday and set fire to the building, witnesses said.

I think this is absolutely idiotic. I watch the news and see these palestinians and syrians, etc.. burn danish flags and dance around it like it is their WHOLE life. They burn building because of a cartoon!!?

The muslim world has serious problems if a cartoon causes such an uproar of violence. Do they not have jobs? why focus such hatred on something so little and pathetic?....

sorry, this is very annoying to watch on the news. No offense to anyone, just venting.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Just goes to show that they still have some more growing up to do. I shudder at the idea that there are still parts of the world that will kill you for depicting a religious figure. Thankful we moved out that period 200+ years ago.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is incredible.

Mass rioting because of some cartoon in the back of a newspaper.

Its obvious it wont take much to cause a real problem with these idiots. We had best start preparing for a religious war, it looks inevitable. There are bad ones in every group, their bad ones are just incredibly disruptive.

I've always said. People as induviduals are geniuses, as a group theyre morons.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Perhaps all of those European countries who had their embassies attacked should just close those embassies and cut off all financial aid to those nations.

Right now the EU donates more to the Middle East than the Arab nations do.
Let's see how well they get along without it.

Yes, were the leaders of the EU not catered diplomats with a sense of reasonablity and rationalism in thier very fiber of existence. This would further prove onerous and isolate the EU from a region of the world which is the pinacle of oil revenues and resources, a heavy commodity to sacrafice over a few instances of moronity.

None of these acts were condoned by the goverment, nor will a EU govermental official impose such harsh reactionary effects therein. What needs to be taken is a mutual communal of discourse between the ideological discerments between both parties; we need the news agencies and muslim members to engage in dialouge to further discount these acts in the future.

Luxifero

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is really terrible. To burn down an embassy over a cartoon (regardless of how offended they are by it) is just ridiculous.

I have noticed that some seem to be blaming the entire Muslim community of this savageness. This is just as ignorant as the people who blame all of Denmark for the original cartoon(s).
Syrian police were at the embassy during the protest.

Saturday's protest started out peacefully but as anger escalated, protesters broke through police barriers and torched the building, the witnesses said.

Perhaps Syrians compulsory military service has backfired on them and the people are too well trained to fight and have overwhelmed the police.

Do people have a right to protest? Yes. Do they have the right to torch a building? No. Protests turning ugly in not unique to Syria.
I don't know what legal rights Syrians have in regards to protesting. I do know that in other countries the protesters would have been run over by a tank.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero
Yes, were the leaders of the EU not catered diplomats with a sense of reasonablity and rationalism in thier very fiber of existence. This would further prove onerous and isolate the EU from a region of the world which is the pinacle of oil revenues and resources, a heavy commodity to sacrafice over a few instances of moronity.

Luxifero

Denmark exports over 300,000 barrels of oil per day.
They don't need middle east oil.

Sweden exports over 200,000 barrels of oil per day.
They don't need middle east oil.

Norway exports three and a half million barrels of oil per day.
They don't need middle east oil either.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Exactly! Plus stop issuing any visas to people from those nations.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Funny that you would say that DJOhnsto77, considering that you wanted to have Shehan executed over wearing a t-shirt. Why is a protest that gets out of control over an inflamitory cartoon so much worse than that?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I didn't want her executed for wearing a T-shirt but for treason against the United States by adhering to its enemies such as calling Bush worse than bin Laden and meeting with Chavez to call for the downfall of the U.S.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero

None of these acts were condoned by the goverment, nor will a EU govermental official impose such harsh reactionary effects therein. What needs to be taken is a mutual communal of discourse between the ideological discerments between both parties; we need the news agencies and muslim members to engage in dialouge to further discount these acts in the future.

Luxifero

Ah Luxi, I really like your posts, because all groups need their apologists. The muslim murders have you, and they should feel lucky.

There is no dialog needed between the media (news agencies) and the terrorists (muslims). What is needed is people recognize islam for what it is at this time. Islam is little more than an intolerant religion that uses violence, terror, and murder as its tool for the accomplishment of its goals. islam is showing its intolerance in these current actions. Any dialog, as you suggest, will only force others to bend to the rule of Islamic beliefs. Of course, maybe this is what you want.

What is needed is for the non-muslim population to finally recognize the threat to world peace and personal freedom that islam represents.

mod edit: quote clarity

[edit on 4-2-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Ah Luxi, I really like your posts, because all groups need their apologists. The muslim murders have you, and they should feel lucky.

I'm not an apologist for Muslim murders, and by any means, if you have any veracity to this claim, do be a gentleman and bring forth the evidence.

The rest of your bigotry holds no ground and is nothing but plain and simple bigotry. To categoricaly imply that Muslims are terrorists complies with an ignorant complex within you that is obviously lacking of critical thinking.

Luxifero

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join