It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to use air patrols along Canadian borders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The actual article title is: U.S. to use air patrols along Montana border with Alberta, Saskatchewan

The United States will be using Blackhawk helicopters and planes along the Montana border with Alberta and Saskatchewan to watch for terrorists, drug-runners and illegal immigrants.

The aircraft will be equipped with cutting-edge photographic surveillance and monitoring equipment to watch for any suspicious activity, a spokesman for Montana Republican Senator Conrad Burns said Friday. Matt Mackowiak said the beefed-up border security comes in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S.

news.yahoo.com...

Well, I have to say good for them. You have the right to protect your borders. But I do also have to say this is a bit ridiculous.

I would like to see them cover the entire border span from Manitoba to British Columbia. I mean, cmon, a needle in a haystack when it comes to people crossing at the exact moment.

Seems a bit wasteful.

But if that wasn't enough of a border stretch:

The U.S. also plans to set up air border patrols in North Dakota and Michigan in the future.

So, good idea, bad idea?

Hows that fence coming along btw?

[edit on 4-2-2006 by Dulcimer]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I guess this is also mildly related... in a way.

Slightly older article about canadian border patrols walking off the job because of safety concerns:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Just the fact that the boundry between Canada and the United States spans 8,891 kilometers (5,525 miles), it might be a pretty hard border to secure.

Sure the Americans have every right to patrol their borders but I've been through some crossing in the prairies where you could just walk down the fence line and hop over if you wanted to.

They would need a fleet of UAVs flying 24 hours a day and a lot of man power to cover the longest undefended border in the world.

EDIT: Here's some border stats for Canada and the United States.

[edit on 4/2/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This is most likely just to shut up the critics of those who want the southern border secured, who pull the racist card...

[edit on 4-2-2006 by C0le]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Good stats. These helicopter patrols would be looking after 578 miles of border in the Saskatchewan / Alberta region alone.

eep.

The Saskatchewan area is especially slack. Very poor border control.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Time, effort, and money on this are better spent on the
Mexican/American border. But hey ... at least they are
doing SOMETHING about border security.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
My question is are they gonna stop the Gun runners from coming INTO my country? Probably not so I could care less :shrug: Patrol to your hearts desire

Though this does smell a bit porky if you catch my drift.

[edit on 4-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I see no problems with the USA/Canada border. Compared to USA/Mexico border which there was been virtually lawless.

Since I hear articles about how the elite breucrats are gonna use air patrols for patrolling the USA/Canada border, it tells me that the US Government is far out of touch from reality and I also call this pork spending in my book.

new topics

top topics

join