It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do atheists really long for God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My BTS point here is that I have made a pretty extensive search through a bunch of so called atheists entries here on ATS and have come to find they are very often adding comments in areas they claim do not mean anything to them in relation to thier apparent belief systems.

Following six proclaimed atheists thread entries (names withheld to protect the "innocent"):

Candidate number/entries of a religious nature/ non-religious

1 / 741/ 1026/
2 / 1832/ 3401/
3 / 57 / 348/
4 / 1380 / 243/
5 / 435 / 20/
6 / 793 / 1302/

Now it took me quite ahile to compile these and if you just look at the members area and look up the name and then count the thread entries they make you can do the same thing. It is easy to see that there is an agenda for these folks to concentrate most of their time in these areas addressing something they don't believe in, right?

It seems to me that if you A: claim to be agnostic or B: athiestic , you would have no interest in the things of God, unless you have either a bone to pick and wanted a forum to do it in, or you were denying the very thing you were seeking after (kind of a shoot the boat your in syndrome).

Typical statement of the above.

I am an atheist/agnostic.

I don't care what other believe as long as they don't dump it in my lap.

Question to the above.

Why do you even care what ANYONE thinks religion-wise it doesn't matter to you, right?

I think that you secretly envy the faithful and wish you could be like them. I gather this because of life experience. It goes like this, a boy and girl of about 8 each say they can't stand each other and yet really like each other. They just cannot admit that they do, for fear of rejection. I can tell you that you won't be rejected. No sin is greater than another. Sin is sin. It can be forgiven and washed away.

All are welcome to comment, even those who say they don't believe but just want to attack (you know who you are) and prove they really want to believe but can't for whatever reason.

[edit on 3/2/06 by OneGodJesus]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If you don't want a hotdog, do you really enjoy someone constantly nagging about how great hotdogs are and how you really should want one?

I'm not an atheist per say, but I would get annoyed with someone nagging me to care when I don't.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneGodJesus
It seems to me that if you A: claim to be agnostic or B: athiestic , you would have no interest in the things of God, unless you have either a bone to pick and wanted a forum to do it in, or you were denying the very thing you were seeking after (kind of a shoot the boat your in syndrome).

If I comment in a forum, any forum, on a thread, any thread, it is because I believe I have something to contribute, not because I am trying to psych myself out.

Why do you even care what ANYONE thinks religion-wise it doesn't matter to you, right?

For agnostics, it does matter. They are searching for clarity. It isn't that they don't believe (atheists), it is that they are waiting for their proof/revelation/enlightenment.

I think that you secretly envy the faithful and wish you could be like them.

I thought about this for a little bit. I thought well, maybe I do. Maybe I do want to accept truth based on faith. In the end, I realized I do know myself, and I am not just trying to fit in somewhere.

I can tell you that you won't be rejected. No sin is greater than another. Sin is sin. It can be forgiven and washed away.

I am not afraid of being judged/condemned/rejected by any religion. I know I won't be. I know I will always be accepted. And yet, I choose to stay away.

All are welcome to comment, even those who say they don't believe but just want to attack (you know who you are) and prove they really want to believe but can't for whatever reason.

That's pretty mean. I don't question Christians because they believe "for whatever reason". I know what their reasons are, and I accept their reasons. I have a reason for my belief, too.

As I said, I will post when and where I want on whatever subject I want. I believe I have valid, intelligent points to contribute, and I shall remain doing so. I don't think atheists or agnostics should be "banned" (per se) from certain threads simply because of the religious overtone.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Question to the above.

Right. I don't care what anyone thinks. You said it in the 'quote' above. (As long as they don't dump it in my lap.) That's where I've had issue in the past. People want me to believe as they do. And while I don't care what they believe, I don't wish to be badgered about my beliefs. I want them to allow me my beliefs (or lack of same) as I respect and allow their beliefs.

Nope. Not in my case.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Many alien skeptics spend much time in alien forums debunking bogus claims.

Similar logic can be used here to come to the conclusion that atheists spend lots of time in religious forums in order to enhance their own position by showing the faulty logic around which others' positions are based.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Question to the above.

Right. I don't care what anyone thinks. You said it in the 'quote' above. (As long as they don't dump it in my lap.) That's where I've had issue in the past. People want me to believe as they do. And while I don't care what they believe, I don't wish to be badgered about my beliefs. I want them to allow me my beliefs (or lack of same) as I respect and allow their beliefs.

Nope. Not in my case.

Now this answer I can live with, live and let live. Let me ask you though, would you be offended if someone just live holy before you and didn't curse, drink, smoke, didn't cut thier hair, wore a dress and never jeans or pants (including shorts), didn't mix bathe (swim) with people not family, went to church frequently? If someone asked in your presence about the matter would you chime in because you really wanted the person asking to not follow that path for thier lives? I have seen and heard about this MANY times. We live holy before people and some ask and want to know about what we believe, when we start telling them anyone in ear shot gets right in the middle of it and tells them we are some kind of cult, or how we aren't right, or how the bible isn't right, or how Jesus doesn't exist and for us to prove it. I admit that most of the time it is denominational "Christians" doing it but not always. It is rarely done in an inquizitive (sp?) manner, it is mostly confrontational.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Do athiests really long for god?

I can't speak for anyone else but myself the answer is NO. I don't want to be part of any religion including athiests. I see a god as the most horrible thing ever invented by us. I do not long for, wish for or hope for a god in any way, shape or form.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer

Many alien skeptics spend much time in alien forums debunking bogus claims.

Similar logic can be used here to come to the conclusion that atheists spend lots of time in religious forums in order to enhance their own position by showing the faulty logic around which others' positions are based.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

Ok, with that in mind why must non-faith oriented people spend time enhancing what they see no real value in? I mean, Atheists see no value in religion as they don't practice it.That would be like attending a college class if I saw no value in it to spite someone in the class. Silly way of doing business if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ok, with that in mind why must non-faith oriented people spend time enhancing what they see no real value in? I mean, Atheists see no value in religion as they don't practice it.

Atheists don't want to enhance religion, they want to enchance their own mental position by showing how others' mental positions are inferior. The only way to do this would be to go to places were such positions are openly discussed, such us a religious forum.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

[edit on 4/2/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer

Ok, with that in mind why must non-faith oriented people spend time enhancing what they see no real value in? I mean, Atheists see no value in religion as they don't practice it.

Atheists don't want to enhance religion, they want to enchance their own mental position by showing how others' mental positions are inferior. The only way to do this would be to go to places were such positions are openly discussed, such us a religious forum.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

[edit on 4/2/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

And the purpose of that would be...

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You

I can't speak for anyone else but myself the answer is NO. I don't want to be part of any religion including athiests. I see a god as the most horrible thing ever invented by us. I do not long for, wish for or hope for a god in any way, shape or form.

So you believe in what? If it is nothing then you are atheist. I could do the whole dictionary thing but that gets me flamed so look it up for yourself. Same with agnosticism. Anything else is a religion. Taoism, transedental meditation etc may (and it is a slim may) skirt by as a philosophy in action but I tend to think of them as a religion.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't usually post on these threads. However I am having a boring Saturday morning

I would have said exactly what Benevolent Heretic has said above. So if were are making a tally of that point of view then mark another notch for me.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I don't usually post on these threads. However I am having a boring Saturday morning

I would have said exactly what Benevolent Heretic has said above. So if were are making a tally of that point of view then mark another notch for me.

Ok, I can respect that as I have said above, but I would pose the same question to you as I did them.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

And the purpose of that would be...

The purpose of that would be an enhanced sense of self, which is what every person is looking for in one way or another. Making another feel inferior so that one may feel superior is a common way of enhancing one's own self.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Ok, I can respect that as I have said above, but I would pose the same question to you as I did them.

Sure I'll do my best.

Let me ask you though, would you be offended if someone just live holy before you and didn't curse, drink, smoke, didn't cut thier hair, wore a dress and never jeans or pants (including shorts), didn't mix bathe (swim) with people not family, went to church frequently?

Not at all, I actually like people who don't curse, drink or smoke. I really don't judge people on how they keep their hair or how they dress either. If I met and feel friendly with someone who refuses to go into a swimming pool I would probably ask them why. My in laws and my grand parents go to church every Sunday. It doesn't offend me at all.

If someone asked in your presence about the matter would you chime in because you really wanted the person asking to not follow that path for thier lives?

No. I live in a free country and if someone I know follows a path that is not harmful to others and brings joy to their life I am happy for them.

I have seen and heard about this MANY times. We live holy before people and some ask and want to know about what we believe, when we start telling them anyone in ear shot gets right in the middle of it and tells them we are some kind of cult, or how we aren't right, or how the bible isn't right, or how Jesus doesn't exist and for us to prove it. I admit that most of the time it is denominational "Christians" doing it but not always. It is rarely done in an inquizitive (sp?) manner, it is mostly confrontational.

Those people should probably get a life instead of interrupting other people's conversations

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I could very well propose the same thing the other way around.

Do you care what other people believe in? Lets assume you don't for the sake of this arguement.

If an atheist came up to you forcing their beliefs on you, you'd get mad, right? Does that mean you envy them? Probobly not.

I'm agnostic myself, and I, as you stated, do not care what other people believe in as long as they don't push it on me.

When Christians do that to Atheists, push they're beliefs, there looking at it from the standpoint that they're rejecting God. Atheists don't even believe there is a God, so there not rejecting him, there just not believing. So it causes a huge point-of-view conflict.

I personally believe that there may or may not be a God and that there isn't enough proof to prove that there is or there isn't.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You

So you believe in what? If it is nothing then you are atheist. I could do the whole dictionary thing but that gets me flamed so look it up for yourself. Same with agnosticism. Anything else is a religion. Taoism, transedental meditation etc may (and it is a slim may) skirt by as a philosophy in action but I tend to think of them as a religion.

I don't believe in anything. Why does someone have to believe in something like that. Athiesm in itself is a form of religion so I'm not that either. I choose not to so in turn means I'm not. Right? Or are you gonna tell me that I have to be or what I am?

[edit on 4-2-2006 by I See You]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See YouI don't believe in anything. Why does someone have to believe in something like that. Athiesm in itself is a form of religion so I'm not that either. I choose not to so in turn means I'm not. Right? Or are you gonna tell me that I have to be or what I am?[edit on 4-2-2006 by I See You]

I don't know who originally stated that Atheism is a religion, but its not. I don't see how it could be. Atheism is simply the LACK of a belief in God. Thats all it is. Its a label basically, theres nothing more to it. The main reason even have the word Atheist is because the majority of people in the world aren't atheist(I think). If the majority of people were Atheist, then we'd probobly use that label alot less.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Let me ask you though, would you be offended if someone just live holy before you and didn't curse, drink, smoke, didn't cut thier hair, wore a dress and never jeans or pants (including shorts), didn't mix bathe (swim) with people not family, went to church frequently?

Absolutely not. I have family members who are very religious and I was raised in a very religious household. Someone practicing their religion doesn't offend me at all.

If someone asked in your presence about the matter would you chime in because you really wanted the person asking to not follow that path for thier lives?

Absolutely not (if I understand your question correctly). It's totally their business what religion (if any) that they want to practice.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I was of the faithful until about a year ago. I haven't once wished I could go back. Many of my friends are religious and I never wished that I could have their faith. I don't believe in God but that does not mean that I lack faith in other things.

I can tell you that you won't be rejected. No sin is greater than another. Sin is sin. It can be forgiven and washed away.

I would have to disagree with that. It states in the Bible

"Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

So my denial of the Holy Spirt cannot be forgiven. As I stated before about my religious friends. We are all close and good friends and they have never tried to convert me back, they never spoke ill of my lack of religion, and they have never rejected me for my disbelief in God. I am fine with that. I respect their beliefs and they respect mine.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join