It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Steelers !!! Who are you rooting for this weekend?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I wanna know something. What was Mick Jagger on yesterday so that he could run around the stage like that?

As for your interpretation of the interference call plague.

The National Football Leauge Rulebook states

Pass Interference
1. There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.

2. The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense’s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense’s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.

3. The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.

4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Note 5: Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.

[edit on 2/6/2006 by gimmefootball400]

[edit on 2/6/2006 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
i still maintain it was crap!!!!!!! but oh well i knew pittsburg was gonna win well before they stepped on the field.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

If the steelers had to of lost and had them calls against them I would be ranting as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It is just a crying shame that refs again had far too large a roll in deciding this game. Let the guys in the pads decide the game. The refs need to be seen, not heard.

oh well, there is always next year. Anger is a great motivator in sports.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The refs did not even have an impact on this game.

The pass interference WAS pass interference. You can not push off the defender and you can clearly see him do this.

For Ben's TD run, if any peice of the ball touches the white line, it is a TD.
The call on the field was ruled a TD, their is no conclusive evidence to say it was not a TD so you can not overturn it. If you look very close, it does seem that the ball was partially in the endzone.

Could somebody please explain to me how the refs are so to blame for this, without it being a cheap excuse for a lousy played game on the part of the seahawks.

This has been the case all playoffs, One mistake in Indy has led to these rants ever since.

If the refs are so to blame, I think the players themself would have something to say. The calls that were made were the right calls, end of story.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It's easier to blame refs then to admit your team got outplayed, outworked, and outsmarted. Period. The team that wanted the win more... Got the win.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
It's easier to blame refs then to admit your team got outplayed, outworked, and outsmarted. Period. The team that wanted the win more... Got the win.

Amen!

This rounds on me...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Lousy play calling and clock management is what killed the Seahawks chances after the second quarter. Plus, not only that, Blitzburgh, I mean Pittsburgh, just out played Seattle.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Don't try to confuse me with facts. We wuz robbed. Some of those calls were very questionable. But I will agree that my boys had other oportunities and failed to seal the deal.

Phooey. Next year will be better.

Even the commercials weren't very good this year. I want my money back.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by seagull]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Any of you guys watch the Nebraska Michigan game earlier this year? Why is it that the opposing team always uses the refs when they lose a game they should have won? It gets old quick... Real quick.

If not.. here's some highlights!!!

www.richmcwilliams.com...

Restore the order baby. Go BLACKSHIRTS!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Cmon... this is a super bowl that will be remembered in 20 years. 8 wins in a row, 6th ranked team winning all those games on the road.

The bus, Cowher.. it goes on and on. Alot of history went down yesterday.

If the seahawks won this game, all of that is forgotten and so would this game be in a few years. Seattle would always remember it, but thats it.

The right team won, they earned it and deserved it.

I still remember Hasselback saying to Green Bay... "I want the ball, Were gonna score!"... Yeahh Right!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I still remember Hasselback saying to Green Bay... "I want the ball, Were gonna score!"... Yeahh Right!

Did I mention I'm a huge Packers fan? And hence, I can't stand Hasselback...

Man.. those highlights of that Nebraska Michigan game still give me shivers. I love it.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
LS... huuuuuuge packers fan I am.

Favre coming back yes or no? I think Ill cry when he finally packs it in, but I do see it as the best for him. We have some rough years ahead of us.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I got that impression. Good quarterback though. Let the mantra begin...wait 'til next year.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Alexander was all about himself I found, Im not an expert on the seahawks or him... but from interviews alot of his talk was about HIS contract and the money he was going ot make.

Talking about testing the free agency market just before the superbowl?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
well... some people blame Favre for the bad season. I say he did pretty well with the amount of key player injuries the team had. They probably still could have won a few more games though. I honestly think he will come back for one more year. It's taking him way to long to make a decision. And the longer he takes the more I am assured he will be back.

I went to that Green Bay vs. Seattle game at the end of the year... Just in case it was his last game. I hope it wasn't.................

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Alexander was all about himself I found, Im not an expert on the seahawks or him... but from interviews alot of his talk was about HIS contract and the money he was going ot make.

Talking about testing the free agency market just before the superbowl?

It's stuff like this that is making me more and more a fan of collegiate football... That and the excessive celebrations going on in the NFL.... Quit the selfish showboating and play the damn team game. But who really is a team player in the NFL these days? Each team has one... maybe two players that actually give a crap about what team they play for. Collegiate... It's all about the team baby...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Id love to make it to Lambeau for a game, Id settle for a tail gate party.

Nothing I hate more is when everyone turns on the star for a bad year. If Brett wants to have 2 more years like the one he had, that is his decision to make. If we dont suffer all of them injuries I see us winning 4 or 5 more games atleast.

Can't be his best friend when he marches us to superbowls, and turn on him when were down.

To hell with all the critics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join