It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Sci Fi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I am hungry for something good. What do ya got?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Integral Trees by Larry Niven
Anything by Niven and Jerry Pournelle, particularly The Mote in God's Eye or Lucifer's Hammer
Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner
Most anything by Walter Jon Williams, particularly Hardwired and Voice of the Whirlwind
The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe

not to mention many, many more pedestrian titles-- the Dune books by Frank Herbert, Stranger in a Strange Land, Farnham's Freehold, Time Enough For Love, Starship Troopers, Friday... all by Robert Heinlein, the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, the Riverworld series by Phillip Jose Farmer...

And of course, and perhaps most importantly to everyone-- not just science fiction fans-- the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (yes, all five of them) by Douglas Adams.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
"Dune" by Frank Herbert is currently my favourite Sci-Fi novel. It's a great book that intrigues and impresses from the very first pages, definitely worth reading. Other good Sci-Fi novels include:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

- Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke)

- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Jules Verne)

- Spares (Michael Marshall Smith)

- The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (Robert Heinlein)

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I've never felt compelled to pick up a Sci-Fi book, I enjoy them but I just don't seem to "notice" them when choosing a book.

But a friend gave me a copy of The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson a few years back, and it was one of the best books I've read in years. I couldn't put it down, even though at first glance I thought the plot "wasn't for me". It surprised me by being incredibly well written and enjoyable.

Which reminds me, time to start reading Science Fiction...I'll look at it as "Well, it's been a long time, so I've got a chance to read a lot of greats for the first time. Which is great!".

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton
1 The Reality Dysfunction
2 The Neutronium Alchemist
3 The Naked God

Very, very good sci-fi/horror. Up there with LOTR as a page turning epic IMO

Ive got more but will post later as I can't think of the authors at the mo!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Steven Donaldson.

Fantastic Series !!

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Steven Donaldson.

Fantastic Series !!

I loved it, but not strictly sci-fi? Donaldson was who I was trying to remember yesterday but couldn't. He did do a 5 book space opera called The Gap Sequence
1. The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story (1990)
2. The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge (1991)
3. The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises (1992)
4. The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order (1994)
5. The Gap into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (1996)
Absolutely fantastic, even better than Thomas Covenant.

Alpha Grey I've just looked on here and it seems he's writing further stories about Mr Covenant! Did you know about this? Didn't Thomas die at the end of the 2nd chronicles? been a few years since I read it

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Alpha Grey I've just looked on here and it seems he's writing further stories about Mr Covenant! Did you know about this? Didn't Thomas die at the end of the 2nd chronicles? been a few years since I read it

That i did not know !! i will have to check that out..yea i thought he died too...maybe its about a "son" of his ?? i dont know....but i will find out.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think I'm more confused than ever!

Six fantasy novels featuring Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever appeared between 1977 and 1983, but Donaldson shows that his epic series still has the power to surprise in this richly imagined start of a final quartet. Covenant died at the end of White Gold Wielder (1983), and at this novel's outset so does his lover, Linden Avery, in a violent confrontation with Joan and Roger Covenant as they kidnap her son, Jeremiah. Linden awakens once again in the Land, where she finds Lord Foul scheming to escape the Arch of Time with the help of Joan and Roger while using Jeremiah as a pawn.
amazon

So, he is dead, and Linden's taking over his role. But whats Thomas Covenant, without Thomas Covenant! Defianately gonna have to get this one........

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Dune by Frank Herbert, hands down. Its one of the best pieces of fiction you will ever read.

All rooted in real theories of economics, social structure, etc...

People dont realize the amount of research that went into Dune. Its absolutely mind-boggling.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
What have you read, and enjoyed?

That would help us with our recommendations.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I've only ever read one Sci-Fi book, actually, reading. It's called The Saga of Seven Suns and it is pretty good, I think it's part of a series.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The foundation series by issac asimov

also i know it's not Sci-fi but

Star wars books

top topics

join