It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Policy For Very-Large Threads (Serpo!)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I won't stand for it!!
Down with the oppressors.

Seriously though, Good idea. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What exactly do you mean by trolling or post highjacking? I have never heard this before and just want to understand. Thank you

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
ban the bickerers.

Oh I see. Is this some kinda way to get rid of people who don't agree with ones view.. If so then everyone in the 9/11 conspiracy forum should be banned, myself included. I don't agree with the official story its so full of holes it makes Swiss cheese look like provolone..

In other words if people didn't bicker there would be no such things as ATS in general..

I have another comment, who in their right mind would read thru 1500 posts. It took me about a half a day reading thru that 757 hit the pentagon garbage and still didn't learn anything. In other words there should be some way of making the highlights of a post, both good and bad or something.. cause 1500+ posts is like reading a very long episode of star trek or something.. in other words boring and not straight to the point..

Then we have long quotes aren't allowed, what if you read thru the 1500 posts and need to quote 30 people who said 30 different things.. Will that not be allowed.. considering one does have proof on the subject. I however haven't seen this post you are talking about and i do not plan on it either.. I am just making points on some things that make no sense at all.

[edit on 2/2/2006 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 2/2/2006 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Thar Be Trolls!

Originally posted by ChristyZ
What exactly do you mean by trolling or post highjacking? I have never heard this before and just want to understand. Thank you

Here's some background courtesy of Wikipedia:

Internet troll

Troll organization

Once you have studied these arcane scrolls of esoteric lore, I invite you to see how many trolls you can find on ATS.

Legend has it that trolls frequent the darker places of ATS in the night, and when trolls are near, members are wise to hide their children and their beadwork.

Oh, and before it comes up, some cheecky individuals have had the audacity to suggest that I may, in fact, be a troll.

However, I have thoroughly debunked that silly rumor by explaining that I gnaw on bones due to a rare hereditary dental disorder, and that my skin is scaly because of the dry desert climate in which my lair -- I mean home -- is located.

As you can see, some people are far too quick to point fingers around here. :shk:

Still...

Caveat membor.

[color=#000099]“Trolling is divided into three parts, viz: sinking and roving, trolling with gauge and
[color=#000099]snap-hooks and spinning.” -- A Boy’s Own Book of Outdoor Sports, early 1900s

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
ahhh I see, it all makes sense to me now. Thank you Majic! I like the idea of trolling for fish much better. Also I once heard a story while visiting the upper peninsula in Michigan about trolls. The legend as was told to me was about trolls who were tricky and sneaky but if a scandanavian family fed them and gave them material goods then they would grant the family protection in return....or good luck. This is where the term good luck trolls came from as I was told.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret.com
2) Please respect Bill Ryan and any future expert guests that participate. Without them, the quality of discussion would suffer.

I'm a long time lurker, few poster, have great respect for ATS.

This particular statement bothered me.

Please Respect Bill Ryan and any Future Expert guests.

I don't know Bill Ryan or your "expert guests" from adam but yet I'm supposed to deny ignorance? I thought it was better to decide for myself?

*knows that my points will be lowered because I asked a stupid question. Please do not tell me who to respect. I'm a big girl, denying ignorance. Please do not tell me what to deny and what not to deny.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
1. Yay!

2. Decisive, pro-active, legislative decision making at it's best: as long as it doesn't lead to some new form of online government...

3. IMHO: 100,000 seems an excessive lot of points. At this size, incredible potential for a politically motivated recipient choice and/or potentially misappropriated award could thwart the Mods' best intentions.

It seems like arbitrarily padding your favorite D&D character's experience points, which often manifest itself as a demonstration of who the DM's best friends were - not who the best players or strongest characters were.

I reamain,

An0nym0us

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Just A Little Bit

Originally posted by sosuemetoo

I think this may be an unintentional misunderstanding of intent.

When in doubt...

From Dictionary.com:

re·spect
tr.v. re·spect·ed, re·spect·ing, re·spects

1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.

Given the different options available for interpreting the admins' request, you could go for option #1 or option #3, but if you find those choices unsavory, I suggest going with option #2.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i think you do need to do some arm twisting for pics ect.. and i see it is making everbody really analyze it.we have all these brains looking at upsidedown inside out and even sideways..hoping it is not a hoax

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
A very good step forward admins! I love to be a part of the ATS community!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Please do not tell me who to respect. I'm a big girl, denying ignorance. Please do not tell me what to deny and what not to deny.

We have requested who to respect within the boundaries of this community, and we will continue to do so.

You, and thousands of members, are a guest here. A significant factor in our popularity is our insistence that "every post counts" by limiting 1-line responses, silly remarks, trolling and related non-collaborative activity.

Our ability to attract expert guests and generate threads of exceptional quality is directly related to how we, as a community, behave and promote quality discussion. Without that, you would not have the opportunity to directly interact with these people.

When you're a guest in our "house", it's polite to accept the guidance of your host's request to show courtesy for other guests. It's normal manners, nothing more, nothing less.

If you're not able to understand or accept something as simple as this, then perhaps we're not the community for you. It's okay, we've never promised we'd try to please everyone.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As S.O. points out above you don't get to keep your cake and eat it too.

Majic, the verbose Fanboi of "Smithing"
has pointed out the precise intent of our simple request in his post three or four up the line.

Springer...

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I don't know Bill Ryan or your "expert guests" from adam but yet I'm supposed to deny ignorance? I thought it was better to decide for myself?

I believe the intent, as some have attempted to clarify, is not that you "have" to respect (i.e. support/agree with/ approve of) their individual views and opinions, but you must respect their right to hold and put forth such. Just as you would expect of them in return.

If the community of ATS were to be viewed as a bunch of adolescent rants, then how can we expect to draw any sort of respect and/or participation from experts in specialized fields of research.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just my $.02
[edit: shorten quote]

[edit on 2/3/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The index post will have to reference the specific page ranges that it covers. Further additions would have to be added or edited in separately.

BTW, (slightly off topic, but in the same genre) the search function does not seem to work in big threads. Do you know at what point (i.e how many posts) it stops working?

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What about certain threads such as,

Yossarian's last to post wins thread? Or

The Three Word story?

There are several threads on BTS that are close or above 1500 replies, but the purpose of the thread is limited responses. Are these included?

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
After reviewing the new policy, I have to say I agree the thread should continue in the spirit of free speech, and at the same time, conveying the idea that ATS is not a place where anyone can do as they wish. Kudos to the 3 Amigos, and staff who will be keeping a close eye on things.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
*Bump*

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well done to the powers that be, presented with a problem and a positive soloution developed.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I agree, well done ATS admin. I believe its fair, and as guests we should play by house rules.
Perhaps I am wrong, but as members, we should be able to question peoples / repected guests motives without fear, if flaws or inconsistencies appear - only if they appear I repeat.

Other than that, Happy to be a member...

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How about a 'big thread' summary as well? Just when I thought I knew what was going on (thanks BH) I got confused again. 200 plus pages? For big threads, I think it would be nice to have a summary, a cliff note version, so people aren't so intimidated about whats going on in big threads. The highlights, updated periodically.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join