It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about the Golden Dawn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm looking for information regarding the "magick war" between Aleisteir Crowley and MacGregor Mathers over control of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

Specifically, I'm wondering if any of y'all have any knowledge of casualties or victims of this "war;" anyone killed or injured, gone missing, driven insane, etc. (In one of his novels, Robert Anton Wilson made a joking reference to Croley having turned the poet Victor Newburg into a camel.)

This is for a novel I'm working on. Of course, I can just make something up in this regard, but it would be much cooler to refer back to an actual, albeit alleged, incident.

Thanks in advance for your help, or any direction you can point me in.

Baack

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The magical war between Crowley and Mathers was pretty much just some more of Crowley's rhetoric. The actual "war" that took place wasn't very magical, but had a lot of lodge politics involved. It began with Crowley's writing to Mathers, questioning his authority. Here, Crowley seems to have been in the right, as Mathers declared himself the supreme chief of the Order without showing any reason why he should be so. The London Adepti at the Isis-Urania Temple had already been ignoring Mathers for quite some time (Mathers was working out of a Paris Temple at this point).

Crowley's problem was that he had already alienated the London Adepti by having previously sided with Mathers (and his little stunt of showing up at Mark Masons Hall during a G.'.D.'. meeting, wearing full Highland dress and a mask, demanding on Mather's authority that he be made Chief Adept, certainly did help his cause any).

Anyway, Mathers simply expelled Crowley, but Crowley refused to recognize the expulsion because he didn't think that Mathers had the authority to expel anybody. This happened in 1899. It was only in 1904, 5 years later, that Crowley came to believe that he himself had received authority from the Chiefs of the A.'.A.'., or Third Order, to become Supreme Magus of the Order (immediately expelling Mathers, of course).

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Just an old thread I thought I would link:

The Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn

join