It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAEA expected to refer Iran to U.N. Security Council (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The Internaional Atomic Energy Agency is meeting today to hear a motion formally submitted by several European nations to have Iran refered to the UN Security Council. The US backed motion is in responce to Iran plans to continue enriching uranium, which many believe will be used to further a convert effort to produce nuclear weapons.

abcnews.go.com
Iran remained defiant, warning Wednesday that such action will provoke it into doing exactly what the world wants it to renounce starting full-scale uranium enrichment, a possible pathway to nuclear weapons.

The IAEA board was expected to approve the motion easily because Russia and China which both have veto power on the Security Council now support reporting Iran following months of opposition.

"Iran will find itself before the Security Council," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said in Washington. "Iran is working to develop a nuclear weapon."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The saber rattling from Iran is getting louder. I understand the need to get this situation under control, but some of the things were hearing coming out of Iran are pretty scary. It seems like we at least have everyone in our corner this time. Seems like no one wants to stand by and give Iran a chance to build a nuclear weapon. But a have a feeling this are going to get much worse before they get better.

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.time.com

[edit on 2/2/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think the title is a bit misleading since the vote hasn't occurred yet. "IAEA Expected to..." would have been better.

Anyway, I hope it does happen. Iran simply mustn't be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons capability.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That's a good point, I should probably change that. Just because the article on ABCnews assumes it to be a foregone conclusion doesn't make it so.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well it's now a real story:

Iran reported to Security Council over nuclear dispute
The United Nations nuclear watchdog agency passed a resolution today reporting Iran to the U.N. Security Council over its nuclear program. In response, Iran said it would resume its nuclear-related activities, without restriction, and will no longer allow snap inspections of its nuclear facilities. U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in a prepared statement, said, "The world does not want -- and must work together to prevent -- a nuclear Iran."
www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

join