It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Eyes The Moon for Future Energy Needs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
At a time when the availability of petroleum could be in question due to wars in the middle east, Russia is looking to the moon for future energy needs.

Russia Eyes The Moon for Future Energy Needs
In an aggressive bid to establish a capitalist reason for colonizing the Moon, Nikolai Sevastyanov (head of state-controlled RKK Energiya that built the Soyuz and Progress spacecraft) said that mining helium-3 and bringing it back to Earth would be a key priority in the moon exploration program. Helium 3, rare on Earth, could provide futuristic fusion energy.

Scientists estimate that there are about one million tons of Helium 3 on the Moon; 25 tons could supply the energy needs of the US for a year. Sevastyanov's statement that they could begin mining by 2020 would be just about right; we should be getting to the end of our petroleum deposits right about then.

Petroleum and natural gas plants currently produce about one-fifth of the electric power in the US.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Russians believe that there is Helium 3 on the moon and if this is true would present a great alternative to the standard use of petroleum and natural gas to generate energy.

It is innovative concepts such as this that will pave the way for a permanent civilian presence in space. Exciting times!

Related News Links:
Russian Rocket Builder Aims for Moon Base by 2015
Researchers see helium-3 as the perfect fuel source

[edit on 2/2/2006 by bios]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I heard scientists were trying to figure out how to use water to run a car?

I like that idea better, 70% of the world is water, glaciers are still present, it would appear that this alternative would be more sensible and earth/people friendly, can't they focus on this source?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I don't see what the big deal about helium-3 is. Sure it offers great potential benefits. But not at least for another century. I mean the first commercial fusion reactors won't be available for at least 40-50yrs. And ones that use helium-3 would be far more complex in design so again probably it would take 25yrs beyond that to develop. We have to think about short mid and long range plans. Here in the states ethanol combined with hybrid technology is a great near term strategy for the replacement of petrol. And don't even get me started on the difficulties of mining helium-3 on the moon.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
NASA believes we can turn lunar soil into solar cells with automated robots. We can the turn 2% of the surface into solar cells and microwave the energy back to Earth.

This would replace all the energy produced with hydrocarbons and nuclear power plants . There would even be a surplus of 50% more than needed by the time it is complete. This is why Bush wants to go back to the Moon. He's not an explorer ya know. The microwaved energy could be turned into hydrogen fuel and shipped by tanker around the world or we could just charge them for power usage and they can make their own hydrogen.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yeah that is actually pretty feasible it just takes someone willing to do it. Found this guy in New Zealand with some pretty cool ideas.

Vision 2020

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If its up there to be mined, then why has it taken so long to pursue it? Hmmm... could it be possible that no one ever actually landed on the moon before?

I doubt the earthly petro powers would allow the Soviets to go and spoil their revenue flow like that.

Not to mention the fact that it would be far wiser, economically speaking, for Russia to figure out newer and better ways to extract all that oil from under their own soil before throwing their money out into space.

Just my two cents..

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
If its up there to be mined, then why has it taken so long to pursue it? Hmmm... could it be possible that no one ever actually landed on the moon before?

I'm pretty sure we did, but economics wasn't the reason we went politics was. But economics was the reason we didn't go back. And again were going back not to mine the moon but to beat the Chinese instead of the Russians this time. The governments never been good at making money. Only spending it.

I doubt the earthly petro powers would allow the Soviets to go and spoil their revenue flow like that.

I don't think Royal Dutch Shell, BP and ExxonMobile had much influence on Kruschev when he started the space race.

Not to mention the fact that it would be far wiser, economically speaking, for Russia to figure out newer and better ways to extract all that oil from under their own soil before throwing their money out into space.

I agree the russian have a wealth of natural resources at their disposal. If they were smart(but you know their russian
they would discourage us and the chinese from going into space to look for resources. By making oil and gas cheap and giving our energy companies a finger in the pie instead of excluding them.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by danwild6]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The moon landing was a strategic blow to the Soviet Union during the Cold War. I believe it was the greatest propaganda victory of the Cold War. Or of all time. It was brilliant. And still gives the USA more prestige than anything short of victory in WW2.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Agreed it was one of the few bright spots for american prestige during the whole 1960's but it was a big one.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

The moon landing was a strategic blow to the Soviet Union during the Cold War. I believe it was the greatest propaganda victory of the Cold War. Or of all time. It was brilliant. And still gives the USA more prestige than anything short of victory in WW2.

And if the US were to go back there and build a solar power system that could replace all the energy used on Earth today our prestige and power would GROW!

Tip Magazine

www.brightsurf.com

Space Daily

CNN.COM

[edit on 2/5/2006 by bodebliss]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Yes a energy dominant US would be a great thing for not only the US but the world. But that will only happen if the people in power want it to happened and for them to want it to happen it must benefit them.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

The only reason we went to the Moon was "a show of force", "a demo project". This is why latter missions were scrubbed. We had proved our point. We never went there with enough will power to do anything, but that has changed with the advent of $billions spent on solar cell tech. We could now turn 2% of the Moon into an energy generator that would replace double what the whole world uses in coal,oil,nuclear, and alternate fuels. It would be done mostly with automated robots.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
the technology is certainly available, but is the political will? Many will not see the evident advantages down the road, only the initial outlay which, admittedly, will be in all likelyhood extraordinary. Safe, clean, and eventually enourmously profitable. What's not to like? All's that is required is the political will to make it happen, or a private venture. Hmm... where'd I put that piggy bank?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Right the political will is dependent on the politicians who are dependent on the oil men. Its inevitable that this will happen but the question is when. Probably when oil becomes to expensive for even George Bush and Dick Cheney to buy. Or better yet when someone else tries to get their to claim the prize for themselves. Then you'll see some action.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
When I saw this I just thought it looked totally unrealisitc. I don't see how it can be efficient. And as for microwaving the world... aren't we causing enough stress on it already.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Actually they say the influx of microwaves would be so benign as to allow bird migration(if there are any left after H5N1) w/o harm to the birds.

The way this would work is light microwave influx to Eath facilities w/ microwave permiable roofs that would trap the heat(reflect it back) till the substance maybe a low temp gasifier turned to gas and turned turbines and produced electricity which we could send thru the lines or turn into hydrogen for vehicle fuel.

We could then export the fuel or license other facilities in other countries.
We could stop burning precious fossil fuels and use the hydro-carbons in them to make products instead.

[edit on 3/2/2006 by bodebliss]

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
What gives Russia or any other nation the right to eye the moon? I've wondered what makes something yours. Can I claim the moon to be mine and then charge Russia for the helium3? Better yet I claim the universe.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Found some info on the nuts and bolts of Helium 3. Seems like pretty expensive stuff once mined on the moon and returned for future use.
Wondering where Russia would get the coppers from to get there and get back?

www.asi.org...

Dallas

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The universe is yours there is no one holding anyone back at this point. It's open to explorers, profiteers, exploiters, everyone!

Just how do ya get there?

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
lol...Even if you had the means of transportation to get there, you still have to get permission from the gov't to launch or fly through their airspace. The air doesn't even belong to us. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join