It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magellan ran into giants in South America!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Magellan and the Giants

Magellan carefully followed John Cabot's maps down the coast of Brazil to the country we call Argentina today. While he was wintering in a harbor he had his first encounter with the Patagonian giants. Encountering these giants was like a trip back in time thousands of years to the days of the Tower of Babel. Here is an excerpt from the diary of Pigafetta:

"Leaving that place, we finally reached 49 and one-half degrees toward the Antarctic Pole. As it was winter, the ships entered a safe port to winter. We passed two months in that place without seeing anyone. One day we suddenly saw a naked man of giant stature on the shore of the port, dancing, singing, and throwing dust on his head. The captain general sent one of our men to the giant so that he might perform the same actions as a sign of peace. Having done that, the man led the giant to an islet into the presence of the captain-general. When the giant was in the captain-general's and our presence, he marveled greatly, and made signs with one finger raised upward, believing that we had come from the sky. He was so tall that we reached only to his waist, and he was well proportioned. His face was large and painted red all over, while about his eyes he was painted yellow; and he had two hearts painted on the middle of his cheeks. His scanty hair was painted white. He was dressed in the skins of animals skillfully sewn together. That animal has a head and ears as large as those of a mule, a neck and body like those of a camel, the legs of a deer, and the tail of a horse, like which it neighs, and that land has very many of them. His feet were shod with the same kind of skins which covered his feet in the manner of shoes. In his hand he carried a short, heavy bow, with a cord somewhat thicker than those of the lute, and made from the intestines of the same animal, and a bundle of rather short cane arrows feathered like ours, and with points of white and black flint stones in the manner of Turkish arrows, instead of iron. Those points were fashioned by means of another stone." (Diary of Pigafetta, pp. 51-52).

I found this pretty interesting--and I'm not surprised, really. There have been reports of 7-foot-tall skeletons found, and apparently those people had horns on their heads. It just gets hushed up, because it casts serious doubt on the theory of evolution.

I believe that giants exist, or at least they did!

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Magellan ran into giants in South America!

No, he didn´t. He met a Tehuelche tribe. This guys were big (maybe up toe 2 meters tall), but not giants, Antonio Pigafetta was obviously exagerating.
Magellan called them "Patagones", and their land "Patagonia" because of their big feet ("pata" is spanish for foot), plus they used huge skins around their feet, which made them look bigger (I mean their feet).

Link

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
As portuguese, i study a lot of history in school and in those times (discovers) they seem to distort the thruth a lot.
Their description of wildlife was pretty funny. I'm going to look in my school stuff to see if i find examples to put here.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It was a llama. No chimera. If you want exaggerations go to Marco Polo. Interesting that he thought Rhinos were Unicorns.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
It just gets hushed up, because it casts serious doubt on the theory of evolution.

Giants with horns does not cast doubt on the theory of evolution, which didn't exist until 1860, over 300 years later.

One day we suddenly saw a naked man of giant stature on the shore

This is meaningless.

top topics

join