It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Sued for Aiding Gov't Spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a non-profit group supporting internet privacy, free speech and copyright enforcement filed suit on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 against telecom giant, AT&T Corp.. The EFF lawsuit alleges that ATT&T violated federal privacy laws when it assisted the National Security Agency (NSA) in that agency's recently disclosed domestic spying program. The suit was filed on behalf of several AT&T customers, and seeks class-action status.

news.com.com
AT&T has been named a defendant in a class action lawsuit that claims the telecommunications company illegally cooperated with the National Security Agency's secret eavesdropping program.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in San Francisco's federal district court, charges that AT&T has opened its telecommunications facilities up to the NSA and continues to "to assist the government in its secret surveillance of millions of ordinary Americans."

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which filed the suit, says AT&T's alleged cooperation violates free speech and privacy rights found in the U.S. Constitution and also contravenes federal wiretapping law, which prohibits electronic surveillance "except as authorized by statute."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is exactly the type of action I had in mind when, here on ATS, I first suggested filing a complaint with my state's Public Utilities Commission.

The EFF seems to have recognized, as I did, that a frontal attack against the full might of the US gov't would be futile...too easy to wrap itself up in the dubious excuse of "National Security". But the corporations which cooperated, some might even say, conspired, with the gov't in this sorry affair, are not so well protected.

In 2004, a federal judge in Virginia held that America Online (AOL) could be held liable for releasing a subscriber's information to a local police officer who lacked a properly signed warrant.

AT&T cannot point to "special powers granted to AT&T in time of war".

Corporations are held to far less flexible codes of conduct than any politician could ever endure. AT&T will, I think, find that the "We were just following orders" defense will be as unconvincing to a jury today as it was so many years ago.

Bringing pressure to bear upon these "co-conspiritor" corporations, hitting them in their fat wallets, will result in an effective lobbying effort on Capitol Hill to end these truly Un-American, Anti-American spying activities.

That, at least, is my hope.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by Bhadhidar]

[edit on 10-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wow! Not a single nibble.

I'm begining to believe that I am the Killer of Threads!

Ah well, Rest In Peace sweet submission, I will remeber you.

They say say you never forget your First.....

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Prety astounding that this got voted down. Here are some others, for cross-linking.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Prety astounding that this got voted down.

No kidding.

For the record, I voted yes. Sorry I didn't bump it.

Related:

Gonzales Suggests Domestic Wiretapping Without Warrants Legal

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   
[edit on 23-4-2006 by NJE777]

new topics

top topics

join