It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABL: A Swiss Army knife?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I would like to start off by apologizing, I am not a member of DefenseDaily.Com so I can't provide a link. I pulled this off of another military forum that I am a member of (classified). Anyway, this sounds interesting and I hope they do make it a bit more 'flexible'.

With a few upgrades, the program office believes ABL could expand its capabilities. For example, with upgrades now in progress for its acquisition, tracking and wave front- control hardware and software, ABL could engage longer-range threats such as ICBMs.

Continuing current efforts to upgrade acquisition and tracking sensors and software would allow ABL to track post-engagement debris, providing information to terminal defenses and warnings to friendly locations.

Upgrades to sensors, battle management and tracking software would allow ABL not only to defend itself, but other high-value airborne assets against Surface-to-Air missiles (SAMS), AAMs, and threat aircraft.

By upgrading the acquisition sensor and software ABL could also defend against high altitude cruise missiles. The future could also see ABL offer "a degree of capability" to destroy low-flying cruise missiles, leveraging ABL's speed-of-light capability to respond to time-sensitive targets. Other things ABL could do would be to positively identify potential airborne threats hundreds of miles away by redesigning its active ranging system (ARS); serve as an additional Electronic Support Measures (ESM) platform with some hardware and software modifications and weight reduction; and perform as a communications relay node with some upgrades, to leverage its planned operational altitude and long loiter times.

mod edit: changed to external quote

[edit on 2-2-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
do u have any links

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The ABL program is in big trouble, having been downgraded to 'technology demonstrator'. Clearly it's doomed - chemical lasers are rapidly being overtaken - but given the $billions involved I can see why people are thrashing around trying to keep it going.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
what do u mean ovetaken do u mean by fre elctron lasers or solid state or hpm/emp weapons could u verify that chemical lasers may be large but they're the only ones that can reach megawatt levls so solid state can do that

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
the ABL sounds like a great idea to me. But from what i know of lasers, it sounds expensive, impracticle and should be left for another decade or more till it is cheaper, more efficient and more powerful.

Justin

edit: spelling

[edit on 11-3-2006 by justin_barton3]

top topics

join