It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opec's Response To Pres. Bush's State of the Union Speech.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
someone's taking him seriously, and they kind of sound worried about it.....
what do you think?

Opec issues warning on Bush oil pledge

news.ft.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
OPEC should be worried....about not being able to GOUGE the world's pockets anymore. Serves them right. Now just watch them jack up the price by cutting production in the next few weeks.

Mark my words!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes they should be worried, as most of the OPEC nations have nothing without oil. I hope this country does develop nuclear, coal, and new technologies so that our dependence on oil actually does become a thing of the past!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Maybe the President should keep his mouth shut and don't tell what America's plans are dealing with the oil situation. Since he set the time to 25 years, the OPEC would try to raise the price of barrel to get as much monies as they can get on those years.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
yes, but a good point is raised in the article.

if the world believed that america was actually gonna reduce their dependence on middle eastern oil -I don't believe most of our oil comes from the middle east anyways, but, well, if the world actually thought we were gonna reduce it that much, maybe they would be more reluctant to invest in the middle eastern companies and their oil, less money for the sheiks, ect, which would kind of reduce the funds flowing to the terrorists, wouldn't it?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Its one thing for bush to SAY it, its a far different matter for Bush to actually do anything about it.

I will take his threat with a grain of salt until there is some concrete sign of action taking place.

But it probably would be the single greatest benefit to america if he managed to do it.

Don't forget China will probably quickly pick up any slack in the market, they are growing at a frightful rate...

[edit on 1-2-2006 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Nixon said the same thing when our OPEC oil dependence was 35%, now it's 60%.

I'll believe this rah rah poll boosting rhetoric, when I see it in action. Ethanol has been struggling since the 80's to get off the ground.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Nixon said the same thing when our OPEC oil dependence was 35%, now it's 60%.

I believe this rah rah poll boosting rhetoric, when I see it in action.

Yep, that's likely exactly what it is....rhetoric.
It's kind of like a Cattle Farmer trying to get people to become vegetarians...isn't it???

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
the Bush proposal....reduce MidEast oil consumption by ~70% in ~20 years

sheeze, IF America weans itself away from the 'Peak Oil' energy source,
and IF all the increased population (illegal immigrants or otherwise)
volunteers to ride in public transportation instead of having private cars,

and about a dozen other 'IFs'
Then, maybe, the economy & way of living won't require the increases of oil imports that has happened in the US...since the 1970s oil crisis till now(2006)....
Yeah, we really sobered up after that oil crisis & 'shortages', and really
changed our ways & habits & lifestyles...Huh?

Anyways, if the US decreases their oil needs...there's always China, Japan, India and Europe who are willing & eager to increase there oil needs

so, i don't see Saudi or Iraqi or Iranian oil production/storage/distribution centers & ports suffering any reduction of infrastructure capital or planned
upgrading, because of decreased US demand.

If anything the OPECs should be luring BP & Exxon &^ the others that have Billions of 2005 Profits to come over and invest there $$$
in the Quatar, Doubi, and other business/commercial/residental centers that are sprouting up along the Gulf Regions.

just rhetoric & blowing smoke.
just to make the peons nerv
ous
Metal Head

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
*cough* Alberta Tar Sands *cough cough* same continent.

maybe all the gearing up that has been going on in Alberta will help to lessen the impact of the problematic Middle East. If OPEC jacks the prices up too much by cutting back production, it'll only serve to make the process of getting oil from shale and the tar sands more reasonable.

Cutting back on dependancy is one of the better things I read in the speech. Put it all together and things look a whole lot more stable.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It's kind of like a Cattle Farmer trying to get people to become vegetarians...isn't it???

, that and he might hinting of a pending oil price shock cause he plans to attack Iran too.

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE: A 21ST CENTURY IMPERATIVE
Ever since 1970, America's domestic production of oil has been dropping. And ever since, many speeches have been given in Washington about the importance of achieving energy independence. Many of us remember the speeches of Richard Nixon and President Carter in the 1970s and the 1980s.

In 1973, following the formation of OPEC, President Nixon gave a speech to the Nation where he said:

our overall objective ..... can be summed up in one word that best characterizes this Nation and its essential character. The word is ``independence.''

Then again in 1980, President Carter spoke to the Congress at his State of the Union address. In that speech, President Carter said:

Our excessive dependence on foreign oil is a clear and present danger to our Nation's security. The need has never been more urgent. At long last, we must have a clear, comprehensive energy policy for the United States.

If Bush gets a poll boost from his load of recycled baloney, I'd say the populace is afflicted with Alzhiemers.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
www.realcities.com...

this has been posted on the other thread here on ats about this....

they're backing down, now, well, bush didn't mean this literally!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sexymon
OPEC should be worried....about not being able to GOUGE the world's pockets anymore. Serves them right. .

Welllllll, in the 1970's the puppet masters went to OPEC and told them that they were going to massively raise the price of oil but that they would insist on OPEC putting the bulk of the funds in banks directed to be used by the puppet masters.

Lots of things are not quite as they seem on the surface.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
E-85 is finally getting up and running...meaning that the number of stations that serve it is growing pretty fast, and the majority of new vehicles accept it.

Hybrids are gaining popularity...One of the reasons it started weak wasn't just the price but the vehicles look like crap...But now they have hybrids in your normal looking cars, So now you can have efficiency with out driving a bucket.
Ford has said that it will sell 250,000 hybrids by 2010...So its clear theres a large push towards hybrids....Which is great. Since its likely the middle step in between the normal gasoline and the future hydrogen vehicles.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Don't worry, Bush got the memo.

Administration backs off Bush's vow to reduce Mideast oil imports
By Kevin G. Hall
Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - One day after President Bush vowed to reduce America's dependence on Middle East oil by cutting imports from there 75 percent by 2025, his energy secretary and national economic adviser said Wednesday that the president didn't mean it literally.
Knight Ridder

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

EDIT: Oops, dawnstar said it already.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by curme]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

The testimony and evidence proves that these vehicles have been tracked on radar on many occasion, have landed and/or crashed on terra firma, and have been retrieved and studied by specialized and compartmentalized projects. Advanced technologies which have been identified from the study of these vehicles, once disclosed, will replace currently used forms of energy generation and propulsion. These technologies will enable the Earth to attain a sustainable civilization without pollution, energy shortages, or global warming. These technologies are already fully operational. They have been developed within super-secret, unacknowledged special access projects. In short, the definitive solution to the world's energy, pollution, and poverty problems exists within compartmentalized projects that need planned disclosure and relevant legislation.

Link of source

chew on this, OPEC.....

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
As far as I can see this is nothing new from any stand point

flip-flops

I am sure this will just be added to his list.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by unmarked01]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

An Opec delegate said: “Comments like that are unrealistic. Everyone knows the world will continue to depend on Middle East imports.”

Thats silly. If 60 percent of US oil usage is because of transportation, than a single federal law requiring all cars to be electrical and all plants to generate that electricity to be non-gas-powered would....reduce US dependenacy on oil by 60 percent.

Edmund Daukoru, Nigeria’s energy minister and president of Opec, said: “We do believe that energy issues cannot be handled in a unilateral way["]

Mr. Daukoru's beleifs are rather silly. If the US is sick of the geopolitical catastrophe that is the world oil market, then its not going to take into consideration nigeria when it wants to get off it.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Personally I think he will be able to pull it off in less than 20 years. Despite popular belief, he is a smart man when it comes to his own pocket book. He will know exactly where to put his money. Not only that, but everyone is sick of being dependent on oil expecially mideastern oil. E-85 is about ready to take off bigger than most think. It may sound like a silly reason, but by 2007 all the Nascar cars will run on E-85. They are doing this to show everyone how good it is. Here in the USA, Nascar is almost as popular as football. When they put this out there the way they are planning, everyone is going to want it. The new trucks out there now are electric. Well, partially. It only uses gas to start up. It even has outlets in the bed of the truck. If that is the new thing now, and with how they are going to be flashing around E-85, I give it 5 years. Meanwhile Bush is going to be sitting on a huge pile of money.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If Bush gets a poll boost from his load of recycled baloney, I'd say the populace is afflicted with Alzhiemers.

Nice, thought, and right on the money, but.........

....poll boost, schmoll boost;
America REFUSES to remember what happened in the past PERIOD, why do you think there is such hubub over the wire tapping crap?
Also, if the OPEC states are naieve enough to believe that what W says will really happen, then I have some swampland in Arizona for sale to them!
I lived through the oil embargo of 1973, and since then I have seen the 'Big 3' make more and more gas guzzlers, and idiots like us buy them!
It doesn't make a rat's ass whether the administration is Democrat or Republican, it's the same thing, and it always will be....until it's too late to fix it.
When the time comes to try to fix it, we won't be able too because of the 'dumbing down' of America.
Our schools no longer stress the engineering, sceinces, and mathematics we need to keep up our technology, all the industry is moving offshore, leaving us as a 'service' economy (yeah, right, what a joke).
Morons in govt have sold us out in the name of the buck.
Try to find ANYTHING made in America at WalMart!!

When a nation stops making things with it's hands, it soon falls .
Banjo Guru

new topics

<<   2 >>

join