It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed of light travel impossible??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If you have a little time to listen to my trivial ramblings then I will tell you why travelling at the speed of light is indeed impossible.
Here goes, lets say you build a craft capable of light travel and you have selected the best astronaught you can get bearing in mind it would take up to 3 months to accelerate as to not kill said astronaught.
Lets say you have built the craft out of the most resilient material known to man and gradually get up to the speed of light, then lets say you hit a piece of space debris, rock etc it would then be game over something the size of a pinhead when your travelling at 186,000 mps would pass clean through your precious vessel, dont you think??

MOD EDIT: Whoa question marks in title...

[edit on 2/1/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What if we came up with something capable of surviving impacts, deflecting debris, or just completely avoiding it in some other manner? Then it would be possible, now wouldn't it?

Oh, and there's that whole E=MC^2 thing, but who wants to involve science?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well here is another light-speed question.

If one were traveling at the speed of light, would they be able to see in front of their craft since vision relys on light returned to the eyes. The perception of the pilot may be of something already passed.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Light speed travel is impossible for all matter, except for photons. Photons do not have normal mass, they only have kinetic mass, that's why they can travel up to 186, 000 mph.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien DNA
...lets say you hit a piece of space debris, rock etc it would then be game over something the size of a pinhead when your travelling at 186,000 mps would pass clean through your precious vessel, dont you think??...

I don't think so.

Ever see a 2x4 shoot through a car after being hurled by a tornado?

Same principle.

My physics might be wrong, but I'd assume the force you'd have would be enough to obliterate anything you came in contact with.

Any mathmeticians want to weigh in?

-O

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

but I'd assume the force you'd have would be enough to obliterate anything you came in contact with.

Why would it have to obliterate it? Redirection is the key
Magnetic fields and/or Gravatic Manipulation will be needed though(also assuming the latter is possible)

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
should anyone ever acheive the feat of light speed travel, in my laymans thinking, you would be exceeding the speed of most known particles. thus at the speed you would either (a) completely breeze right through anything there like a ghost... or (b) begin to see the next "dimension", after all i'd imagine ther eis a whole group of atoms that we dont even get to observe here in our universe because they move faster than light and ehose existence lies just on the ohter side of the lightspeed ceiling. but i would say that at light speed your craft would need to take on, atleast by external simulation, the properties of the particles of light particles of light it is gaining on as it approaches lightspeed. waves of particles pass through people all the time, but because of their immense speed and tiny size, are able to pass through solid substance and be prevented from a nuclear collision by the natural repelling force that keeps everyday atoms apart from each other.

remember, no atoms ever actually touch naturally. they are repeled on a subatomic level by minute force fields, like the repel of same pole magnets. so you would proabably slide right through that mutha. dodging it's individual particles almost.

i know this is rambling and sounds like babbage, but look it up and i think at least most of it is correct - i think the idea is in th right direction. but thats just me the laymang.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by mrmakeout]

new topics

top topics

join