It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, WHY is Iran a threat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Let's get this cleared up. Why is Iran a threat? Is it because:

A. Iran controls a hefty oil supply and can adversely affect the world economy?

B. Iran wants/has nuclear weapons and intends to use them at first opportunity?

C. Iran wants/has nuclear weapons as a deterrent?

D. They're anti-West?

E. Because they have aspirations to be a regional power?

If its more than one, say so.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The current excuse for action against Iran, it's nuclear weapons programme, is nothing more than innuendo and double talk by the politicians. The fact still remains that there is little or no REAL evidence.
Even if Iran did develop it's own atomic bombs, are they still really a threat?
The use of those weapons, overtly or covertly, would ensure their own destruction, so what would be the point?

As for being a regional power, there is already one regional power with a strong military and nuclear weapons which is beating the war drums.
Iran is a big place, with a lot of oil and natural gas, they haven't shown any expansionist plans or invaded anyone that I can remember?

So they're anti-West? They were not quite so anti-West before Bush made his idiotic "Axis of Evil" speech and knocked back diplomatic relations 10 years! Even so, being anti-West is hardly a reason to attack a country. So they don't like us, life's a bitch, get over it and don't let them in.

Well that brings us back to a real reason for a possible attack. Preparing to compete with the PetroDollar is one helluva good reason. If the other oil producers follow suit, the USA will not get credit, let alone pay off it's debts.

Do I worry about Iran? No
Do I worry about the likely consequences of Iran being attacked? Yes

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Absolutely!!!

One of the worst things that could have happened to the moderate political specrum in Iran was the whole 'Axis of evil' malarky... you start naming states as possible future targets / points of conflict and you wonder why the progressives in Iran then lose elections to Revolutionary Guard nutters?? The current US administration has a lot of blame in bringing Ahmadinejad to power...

Q

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well, what's your response to the IAEA discovering Iran's plans to build a nuke?

Is the regional power you refer to Israel? They have currently the best military in the region as well as nukes supplied by the U.S.

Also be advised I said Iran has ASPIRATIONS, not that it already is.

What I would like people to do is look for a reason why Iran is likelier than some other country with nukes to use them.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qoelet
Absolutely!!!

One of the worst things that could have happened to the moderate political specrum in Iran was the whole 'Axis of evil' malarky... you start naming states as possible future targets / points of conflict and you wonder why the progressives in Iran then lose elections to Revolutionary Guard nutters?? The current US administration has a lot of blame in bringing Ahmadinejad to power...

Q

Valid point. If you don't want a fight, don't ask for one!

The nature of U.S.-Iran relations was almost non-existent after the Gulf War ended.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
because the iranian president is a member of a shia sect called the hojjetieh who believe that their own actions can bring the messiah back sooner....and they want nukes.

iranian president attempting to start armageddon?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
While I don;t like anyone having nuclear weapons, harping on about the IAEA and the rumoured March tests I think opens up a diplomatic can of worms regarding the hypocracy of the whole situation... take a look at Pakistan:

arguably more actively harmful to US foreign policy objectives as the chaps on the ground have been particularly obstructionist in the hunt for Bin-Laden/ Taliban militants in Afghanistan/Pakistan, with their security & intelligence forces in active collusion with radical islamic groups and personalities in the region... and they have nuclear weapons and are only just cooling off from nuclear standoffs with India due to their conventional forces inferiority complex...

Iran in comparison is a fair few rungs down the same ladder... yet they get the treatment...

Q

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
because the iranian president is a member of a shia sect called the hojjetieh who believe that their own actions can bring the messiah back sooner....and they want nukes.

iranian president attempting to start armageddon?

Doesn't Bush believe that God speaks to him?????

Q

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Q

read the link. bush doesnt believe that he can expedite the return of his messiah by his own actions in this world....ahmadinejad does.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Iran is a threat, because a mad man has been elected,
there nuclear factories are built for, OR contain sufficient physical area to even be USED for energy purposes.
They are big enough soley for material production.

Understand?

They dont have the ability to manufacture energy ONLY MATERIALS!

If they wanted energy they would of accepted the RUSSIANS deal for them to supply the materials, factories plants and what not and TRANSFER the energy through.. they said NO.. why? because they want the MATERIALS.

As said the president believes he will bring about the messiah in the next 'big event'

He publically stated, with PUBLIC support ' death to Israel and America '

and the IAEA has just declared they have the plans for nuclear weapons.

How can there be any doubt?

Really?

I just dont understand the idocity of human intellegence..
one one hand we have people saying IRAQ deserved to be invaded because they DEFIED world demand... well WOW they didnt have any weapons..

NOW IRAN is defying the world, stating there murderous intentions.. and causing outrage... yet people out there say we SHOULDNT hit them.

This planets civilisation has clearly gone down the potty.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Let's get this cleared up. Why is Iran a threat?

Because they consider the United States to be an incarnation of Satan that is in opposition to the shia faithful and god in this "world age".

A. Iran controls a hefty oil supply and can adversely affect the world economy?

No.

B. Iran wants/has nuclear weapons

Correct. Iran is not permited to have nuclear weapons. THis is via international law. When the US invented nuclear weapons, and the soviets followed, the international community made a deal wherein this incredible technology would be used to bring about peace. IOW, you (as a country) would be given nuclear power production techniques, expertise, and technology, but you had to promise to never, use it to build weapons. In that way a poorer country would get this incredible technology and be able to have cheap and safe and reliable electrical energy, not to mention the incredible boost to scientific and technical expertise that would arise in the nation through the construction and operation and maintenance of these plants and power systems, and it would also not have nuke weapons and be open to a vigourous inspection process to confirm that.
That is how Iran got nuclear technology. Now they want to be able to use the technology without inspection, on their own private terms. That is not permited.

As far as when they'd use the weapons, now or later or against whom, who knows. The leadership there supports international terrorist organizations with money and arms. That same leadership also is openly hostile to the United States. So why should it be a surprise to anyone that the US would take action against that state on that basis, let alone when the nuclear weapon issue is thrown in?

IAEA discovering Iran's plans to build a nuke?

The IAEA discovered no such plans.

What I would like people to do is look for a reason why Iran is likelier than some other country with nukes to use them

I'd say that, outside of the current leader, who is one of the student radicals from the days of the revolution who seems to have not lost any of his revolutionary edge, that the state of iran, as an islamist revolutionary republic in and of itself is antithetical to the united states and thus poses a threat to it. Throw in shia eschatology and you realize that when they say "The US is the Great Satan" that they aren't just using rhetoric. In this quasi-mystical theology, so far as I understand it, there is some one in each great age that is representative of God and goodness, and allways in opposition to this godly goodman is an evil agent, either satan or an agent of satan. In the time of the prophet, that goodly goodman was Ali, and those who opposed him and did things against his line (like, say, killing Hassan and Hossein, his sons), are the Great Satans of the age. Today, the United States is the Great Satan that stands in opposition to all that is good and holy, like the islamic republic of iran.

Qoelet

Bush makes no claims at being a prophet. Like many pious christians, he beleives that god speaks to him through prayer. This is rather different than being a member of a radical apocalyptic cult that appears to be seeking to "immanentize the eschatuscon"

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I was fully aware of all that ages ago... it was all over the broadsheets after he came into power...

my point is that there are loads of leaders with some very strange relgious beliefs about themselves and their percieved role in the world... Bush is one of them...

does this mean we all flee in terror for the nearest civil defence shelter?

Or do we sigh and roll our eyes... nukes or not...?

Objective realities are quite potent ones... the same Ayetollahs that promoted Ahmadinejad's rise to power can curtail him just as easily... and they won;t want to see the victories of the Islamic revolution reversed because of some far flung ideas about war bringing the Mullah (whatever his name was again) back to smite the Sunni and avenge Shia martyrdom (from like... the 1400s)...

Plus... IMHO the telegraph is a really *bad* paper...

Q

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The problem is ' Q '

those leaders dont have countries BORDER the new US of Iraq
those leaders dont declare DEATH TO USA and ISRAEL
those leaders dont FUND hamas.. whom happens to be IN israel

and those leaders dont happen to be sitting on the 2nd largest deposit of oil in the world.

all those points make it pretty clear to me how the next 18months will end up.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

my point is that there are loads of leaders with some very strange relgious beliefs about themselves and their percieved role in the world... Bush is one of them...

yes, bush prays about his decisions before he makes them. but he does not believe that he can bring back the messiah sooner. that is the fundamental difference.

Objective realities are quite potent ones... the same Ayetollahs that promoted Ahmadinejad's rise to power can curtail him just as easily

but they havent. iran is a theocracy, and an ayatollah is the supreme leader. if ahmadinejad did not enjoy the supreme leaders confidence, he wouldnt be president.

... and they won;t want to see the victories of the Islamic revolution reversed because of some far flung ideas about war bringing the Mullah (whatever his name was again) back to smite the Sunni and avenge Shia martyrdom (from like... the 1400s)...

he's called the mahdi, or hidden imam, and again, if they disagreed with him, he wouldnt be in power.

Plus... IMHO the telegraph is a really *bad* paper...

how about newsweek?

"We should define our economic, cultural and political policies based on Imam Mahdi's return" - ahmadinejad

Eerie stories about Ahmadinejad's mystical obsessions have been drifting out of Tehran of late, specifically his devotion to the so-called 12th imam—the Shiite messiah, better known as the Mahdi, who's supposed to return and lead an apocalyptic revolution of the oppressed over vague forces of injustice.

By some accounts, the new president's first deputy, Parvis Davoudi, recently asked cabinet members during a formal meeting to pledge their allegiance to the Mahdi in a signed letter. And when Ahmadinejad was Tehran's mayor, he reportedly refurbished a major boulevard on grounds that the Mahdi was to travel along it upon his return.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Iran is a threat because it has planned to stop selling its oil in $$ and use euros, which will cripple the already badly damaged us economy forcing the average US citizen to live life like a regular person instead of getting things half price and working half as hard. What gets me angry is why you think you have any right to rake in billions from oil you have no right to at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

yes, bush prays about his decisions before he makes them. but he does not believe that he can bring back the messiah sooner. that is the fundamental difference.

Actually Bush has claimed that he speaks to god, and that god speaks thru him... I wouldnt call this the logic of a rational person, but then again who would call a murdering empire building looting thief like Bush rational?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
In the view of the Ayatollahs', we are still the Great Satan and we will always be the Great Satan. We are the children that serves the Great Satan. Muwahahaha.
The Iranians believe that Allah wills it that America must be destroy. In the name of Allah.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I could draw so many parallels but why bother... they're not Iran so therefore it isn't relevant or something...

How many destructive and generally economically damaging policy lines have past Israeli govts pursued supporting the settlers who broke UN resolutions because of biblical beliefs surrounding their right to settle in Palestinian territories?

How many crackpot leaders of the world have proclaimed death to the US only to become client states after the next global geopolitical shift... (or in the case of Iraq.. it's the other way round)?

Didn't the Soviet Union have nuclear weapons, threaten the US way of life and base it's foreign policy on an ideology which was deeply irrational and unpredictable? Oh yeah.. and oil too... but the fact is it never happened because of the strategic realities...

If Ahmadinejad goes too far, he will get the chop... too many people in Iran (ayahtollahs included) remember what long protracted wars of attrition are like... they will just wait to see how far he goes with his sabre-rattling...

"Q"

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Iran is a threat, because a mad man has been elected,

And Bush is what in comparison to the above statement?
Alot of people think that at the present time Bush is also a mad man high off power.

Maybe instead of fighting the whole friggin world over oil we (the US) should be spending the money to find an ALTERNATIVE source to oil. Oh thats right we can't because then Cheney and Bush can't get stinking filthy rich.

my 2 cents..

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Iran is a threat because they're evil evil evil. They support terrorists and those terrorists want to kill me and take my freedom. Dubya says Iran is bad, and he's from Texas, so he must be right. Please Mr. President, please keep those evil Iranians from taking my freedoms.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join