It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Sonofusion success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Purdue researchers have recently replicated the much debated and controversial Sonofusion experiments originally conducted in 2004 and this time they answered a key critism that many Nuclear Scientists had in that they used an external Neutron source(can anyone tell me what they used the source for? I'm a bit fuzzy on the details on that one)

www.physorg.com...
“To address the concern about the use of an external neutron source, we found a different way to run the experiment,” says Richard T. Lahey Jr., the Edward E. Hood Professor of Engineering at Rensselaer and coauthor of the paper. “The main difference here is that we are not using an external neutron source to kick the whole thing off.”

In the new setup, the researchers dissolved natural uranium in the solution, which produces bubbles through radioactive decay. “This completely obviates the need to use an external neutron source, resolving any lingering confusion associated with the possible influence of external neutrons,” says Robert Block, professor emeritus of nuclear engineering at Rensselaer and also an author of the paper.

The experiment was specifically designed to address a fundamental research question, not to make a device that would be capable of producing energy, Block says. At this stage the new device uses much more energy than it releases, but it could prove to be an inexpensive and portable source of neutrons for sensing and imaging applications.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Still the process uses far more energy then it produces and is still only applicable for a Neutron Source.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I also read about this story a couple days ago on another website. It's good to see the technology maturing but like you said it’s far from a true application for energy generation, but at this time a good neutron-sensing instrument.

www.worldchanging.com...

new topics

join