Originally posted by SpecAgentDW
The United States declares war on Communism, resulting in the fiasco with Senator Joseph McCarthy and the birth of the intelligence communities spying
on our own populace.
Under the guise of fighitng Communism the CIA wages secret wars in Latin Amercia, hundreds of thousands die, the CIA takes control of the drug trade,
KGB and CIA operatives have working trades and secret agreements with drug lords in exchange for political interests in said nations. US and USSR now
control Latin Amercia
Time and again the Arabs and Isrealis clash but no decisive battle is fought. The US and USSR gain control of the Middle East.
The US forces its way into the Vietnamese civil war, the USSR does the same.
Although forced to withdraw from Nam due to political pressure not military, the US makes billions on drugs and defense contracts due to the VietNam
war, the USSR gains control of yet more proxy nations.
The USSR forments dozens of bloody wars in Africa (Rhodesia, Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia) in the meantime making billions off of arms contracts with
unscrupulous warlords. The US overtly ignores it, but secretly CIA and mercenaries infiltrate region and ensure a from of "stability" by their
actions. Again, the US and USSR grow more powerfull.
I have to say I disagree with your interpretation and narrative of events. I was an adult, politically active in that time-period. Were you? Not
that your presumed youth invalidates your political conclusions; but rather, that you may have missed some important nuances left out of your
(left-leaning) school history books.
1. USSR had promised that it would not absorb the baltic states directly into the SU if they "got" Poland, and would allow free elections.
Instead, once the American people were celebrating peace, the tanks rolled in.
2. It turns out that the soviets didn't suddenly "get" US nuke secrets in the late 40's. They'd had spies at Los Alamos during WWII.
They were planning for the eventual world-conquest, with the American built A-bomb.
3. The SU didn't support Vietnam. It was Purely Chinese. Same with North Korea.
4. The Cuban missle crisis was real. People quit going to work and school for 10 days, and just stayed home to watch TV. Cuban and US Jets were
shooting it out over US and Cuban airspace.
5. The major drug market for heroin has always been the USA; but that market didn't emerge until the later half of the 1960's. So "CIA profits"
were not a cause
of vietnam. More of an effect.
6. You should really go back and read up on the McCarthy/HUAC proceedings. Not watching a Hollywood movie of it. You want the truth? McCarthy said
a bunch of hollywood was commie. They said no. He called for hearings. It got ugly. Then one of the subpeoned hollywood execs, a man named
started saying that practically all of hollywood bigshots were communist party
Nobody has every accused him of lying, mind you. But they said he was a horrible traitor (?) who gave in to the witch-hunt atmosphere, and gave
McCarthy power. In truth, the facts themselves are what gave McCarthy power. The Wikipedia article on Kazan is heavily "dry-cleaned" so as not to
point up that hollywood really was
full of communist party-members. Otherwise, no scandal. Kazan never worked again, and was given an Oscar
once he was dead (!)
The wikipedia article, and the oscar tribute have both edited history to say that hollywood communists were blacklisted, when the opposite is the
case--the anti-communist whistleblowers themselves were blacklisted or given horrible film roles, including SAG chairman Ronald Reagan. . . .
7. Most Americans have no clue (media blackout) that a number of our Allies during the cold war had Soviet agents in the very top of their
governments. Canadian member of parliament Fred Rose. The personal secretary of Wili Brandt, the West German Chancellor. I remember, as late at
1985, when the head of West German intelligence, Hans-Joachim Tiedge, was exposed as a Soviet Spy, and defected to the iron curtain
My point is this: Despite a white-wash by the socialist media that surround you, the truth is that the Soviet Union was a grave threat to both the
United States and the whole of Western civilization.
Younger people are ignorant of Kruschev's UN speech, taking off his shoe and pounding it on the podium, pointing to the USA representative to the UN
and shouting "We will bury you!!!"
You believe what you are told:
That the only thing you have to fear is . . . the government itself.