It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blair and Racial Hatred

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
TB has lost a critical debate on 'racial hatred' The funny thing is he lost by one vote, and he didnt vote in the 2nd divison... Is this a death by a 1000 cuts or could this one be the political handgrenade gordons been waiting for?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I still reckon Gordon will be more than happy for Blair to sit tight and act as a 'lightning rod' over any and all of the contentious stuff still to come.

Why bother changing anything now?

Blunkett is reported as saying he knows they have agreed no change for at least 2yrs = 2008 (which would make sense considering the machinations of the Labour party actually doing the selecting and electing - it's not something in Blair's - or anyone's - 'gift').

Gordon will be far better advised IMO to wait and let the inevitable 'bounce' that will come when he takes over happen much closer to the election itself (something that Cameron and the tories utterly wasted; I fully expect their little poll lead to prove to be a mere blip).

There's a hell of a long way to go yet.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I wonder if the row over the Denmark cartoons had anything to do with the defeat.

Washington Post
LONDON -- After protests outside the Houses of Parliament, British lawmakers Tuesday watered down a bill banning religious hate speech, then narrowly voted it into law.

Prime Minister Tony Blair wanted to make it a criminal offense to incite religious hatred through threatening words or actions, insults and abuse.

Britain's upper chamber Tuesday eliminated the ban on insults and abuse, and inserted a provision allowing proselytizing, discussion, criticism, and ridicule of religion, belief or religious practice.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am glad the ammendmants where watered down, free speech is a rare and precious thing. I dont think the denmark cartoons where directly related to this but they do provide a perferct example of why its an awful law. It doesnt actually protect the people its supposed to.
On the other point:
I agree Gordon wants to let blair take some flack, but also he is worried by the ascendancy of Cameron and wants some time to establish himself before he has to go head to head with him. I thing the conservative policy of agreeing with the government over certain issues is a clever one, if they play it right...
And they can keep the grandees like tebbit's mouths shut.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Does that mean that comedians can still make jokes about religion and stuff? Or do they need to worry about treading on hallow ground?
Would this just drive racism more underground or what?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
They say it shouldnt effect people like comedians but , with our society becoming more letigious who knows. I think its one up for people who want to destroy our democracy.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonaghWould this just drive racism more underground or what?

Criticising someone's religious beliefs is not racist and does not have any racist undertones!

A person can choose what they believe in freely and at will, they cannot however, choose the colour of their skin.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I should just say that it was the 'religious hatred' bill that was ammended.

new topics

top topics

join