It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscars, Nominees & Predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Nominees for this years Oscars were announced today... They go as follows

Best Picture

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Munich
Crash
Good Night and Good Luck

Best Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Terrance Howard - Hustle and Flow
Joaquin Phoenix - Walk the Line
David Strathairn - Good Night and Good Luck

Best Actress

Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line
Judi Dench - Mrs. Henderson Presents
Felicity Huffman - Transamerica
Keira Knightley - Pride and Prejudice
Charlize Theron - North Country

Actor in Supporting Role

Jake Gyleenhaal - Brokeback Mountain
George Clooney - Syriana
Matt Dillon - Crash
Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man
William Hurt - History of Violence

Actress in Supporting Role

Amy Adams - Junebug
Catherine Keener - Capote
Frances McDormand - North Country
Rachel Weisz - Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams - Brokeback mountain

Best Director

Munich
Crash
Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Good Night and Good Luck

The rest can be found at the link below.....

Oscar Nominees

Personally I would love to see Crash go for best picture. Deffinately an amazing film. As for Best Actor I would like to see Joaquin Phoenix win but I am sure Hoffman will continue with his victories. As for Best Actress I'll go with Reese Witherspoon. Huge Cash fan!

For the supporting roles, I would want Giamatti to win for Cinderella Man, however if Gyleenhaal or Clooney won I would be very happy aswell. Along with Matt Dillon. For Actress I'll say Williams or Weisz. I watched Constant Gardener just the other night and she was very good in it. Few more weeks to see anyways.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Best Picture: Should be Munich, but will probably be Brokeback Mountain

Best Actor: Should be Joaquin Phoenix, but will probably be Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Best Actress: The chick that played a transsexual

AIASR: The gay cowboy

ActressIASR: The chick from The Mummy

Best Director: Should be Spielberg, but will probably be the guy that directed the gay cowboys

Bank on it!

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Best Picture

Brokeback Mountain

Best Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

I highly expect Hoffman to win. His perfomance is amazing as Truman Capote.

Best Actress

Felicity Huffman - Transamerica

Actor in Supporting Role

Jake Gyleenhaal - Brokeback Mountain

Actress in Supporting Role

Michelle Williams - Brokeback mountain

Best Director

Brokeback Mountain

[edit on 1-31-2006 by JediMaster]

[edit on 1-31-2006 by JediMaster]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I like several of the Best Picture nominations and I am not a political person but it did strike me how liberal the nominations were. Capote was a famously flamboyant gay man (and a great writer when sober), Brokeback about a homesexual affair, Munich portrays terrorists as human, GN and GL is about a left wing reporter and Crash takes a liberal view on race relations. What is there for my right wing Christian friends? The confusing part is that Mel Gibson proved what a huge conservative audience is out if Hollywood would play to them. Reminds of a famous quote by Robert Murdoch on his idea for Fox News "I found a market niche that is 52% of the population."

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well what big conservative films were there this year? I don't seem to recall any Oscar or award worthy film that conveyed a conversvative message. I don't believe that the film's political message had anything to do with the film's being nominated. They just happen to be rather liberal. I don't really recall many other films that were out this year that could contend in this catergory and the Oscars rarely will give a Best Picture nod to a smaller indie film so this is what you have.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
That's part of my point jedi Master. Why doesn't Hollywood follow normal capitalist instincts and play to that conservative crowd? there is a big audience and as you pointed out, Hollywood didn't care to make movies that they would like.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think that part of it is that it's safe to say a lot of people in the Hollywood crowd are liberals. Now I think that they do play to the conservative crowd in several ways. Action, comedy, sci/fi fantasy, horror, war. The liberals seem to cater in the form of political and social dramas and even cross overs of that into those other genres.

I think that it would be slightly harder to come certain films on a conservative angle. Crash (An excellent film) takes a liberal side on racism. What is the other answer? To say that racism is ok? Capote is not a liberal film. Capote just happend to be gay. Brokeback Mountain you could either make an anti-gay film or just make a hetero romance (Which we do see a lot of). Goodnight and Good Luck your option is to make a pro-Mccarthy film and not all conservatives agreed back then with Sen. Mccarthy and not all today do. As for Munich there have been films that show terrorists as evil but they all seemed to be action flicks such as The Delta Force or Air Force One. I don't know if one could make a credible film that shows terrorists as evil and totally evil, mainly since it doesn't delve into the psyche of these people. Unless you were to make a film that answerd why they are evil but there are even liberal ways to take that.

I don't know if that 52% if that number is still accurate, I don't know if it is, would go to a film with a conservative message that is serious. I think they would be good numbers for a film on Reagen, but some issues are touchy. Such as abortion. I would imagine a film that focuses on abortion in a pro or negative light would still turn off people on all sides due to the nature of the issue.

I also believe that in Hollywood there are several types of filmmakers. You have those like Clooney who will make liberal films to get their message across regardless of how much the movie makes. Now some may be wealthy already and have the cushion if the films fail, but not all of them. Now take Brian Flemming for instance. He made a documentary called "The God Who Wasn't There" and it sends the message that Jesus never existed and that there is no God. Something that some if not many conservatives don't want to see. Yet regardless of profit he made it to get his point across. So you have those who want to get their point across probally most without regard to profit.

Then there are those who capitalize on violence, sex, and humor. That is the majority of what Hollywood pumps out. Stuff like Big Momma's House, horror remakes, gore fests, sex comedies etc.

You do have your conservative filmmakers who make films that more or less appeal to a more conservative section or religious audience such as Gibson's Passion of the Christ.

Now the films that are up do well. Brokeback was taking in a lot of money per screen for instance.

Why doesn't Hollywood jump on these conservative audiences? I believe that the number of non-politcal films churned out exceed those of the politcal ones in Hollywood and thus they get the conservatives to go to those films if they do please. The box office did horrible but I do not believe that had anything to do with politicals, most of the films were just crap. Mainly because it's studio execs running things doing the same cliched crap.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Talk about a thread killer. The purpose of this thread has nothing to do with the Liberal Bias reyna wanted to bring up.

Please Keep this thread to Nominations, Thoughts on Possible winners

Anyone shocked Walk the Line did not get nominated?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Throwing a bump into this thread as the Oscars approach, Seeing if anybody has any thoughts or hopes for who will win.

Watching Ebert on TV today, he was saying how Clooney removed his name as Producer of Good Night and Good Luck. That would of gave him 4 nominiations which would have tied the record. Instead he removed his name as producer and settled for 3 nominations. Reasoning was he did not believe he worked enough as Producer to be recognized with such prestige.

Not to much modesty floats around Hollywood, for his I hope he gets some recognition.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I can't wait for the Oscars! Best time of the year in my opinion.

Anyway, to the nominations, they all look good.

One I canot agree with though is Philip Seymour Hoffman, I just think that he comes across so wooden. Though saying that, I havn't seen Capote so I can't really say anything about that.

It looks like Brokeback Mountain is going to wipe the board this year, but I'm pretty confident that Best Director will be thrown to Spielberg for Muncih, which was a great and thought provoking film.

Only 6ish days until we find out.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by Zanzibar]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I can't wait for the Oscars! Best time of the year in my opinion.

Anyway, to the nominations, they all look good.

One I canot agree with though is Philip Seymour Hoffman, I just think that he comes across so wooden. Though saying that, I havn't seen Capote so I can't really say anything about that.

It looks like Brokeback Mountain is going to wipe the board this year, but I'm pretty confident that Best Director will be thrown to Spielberg for Muncih, which was a great and thought provoking film.

Only 6ish days until we find out.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by Zanzibar]

Time to disagree with the little soldier dude.

I am not much of a fan of Hoffman, I enjoyed him in Patch Adams, only having to watch it 100 times to finally stop hating the guy. But I will give him credit, he probably will win. I would rather see somebody else win, but I don't see him losing.

I see it down to Brokeback Mountain or Crash for the Best picture. I loved Crash, probably one of the best movies I have ever seen, although have not seen Brokeback Mountain so maybe alittle biased.

Best Director I would like to see go to Clooney but probably won't. Ang Lee is looking like the favorite.

Reese Witherspoon has to be a run away favorite I think for Best Actress. The singing ability she performed was amazing and did June alot of justice.

I would love to see Paul Giamatti win for Cinderella man on the Supporting Actor but Clooney is not going to win for Best picture or Director so I see him getting the nod here.

I'm pretty fired up to see who wins. Big movie buff so I like to see who does get recognized for their efforts.

top topics

join