It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coretta Scott King dies at 78

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Sadly the "glue" that kept Martin Luther King's legacy together and going has passed. Sad day for American Civil Rights, and oddly enough it happened shortly after Alito passed through the next step for being approved.

www.cnn.com...

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Coretta Scott King, who turned a life shattered by her husband's assassination into one devoted to enshrining his legacy of human rights and equality, has died, former Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young said Tuesday morning.

She was 78.

This board really needs a RIP forum for the well known and those deserving reconition on their passing.

RIP Coretta, keep an eye on us from above.

[edit on 31-1-2006 by valkeryie]

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What did this woman ever do for civil rights?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well to start with;

www.cnn.com...

Coretta Scott King worked closely with him, organizing marches and sit-ins at segregated restaurants while raising their four children: Yolanda Denise, Martin Luther III, Dexter Scott and Bernice Albertine.

She spoke out "on behalf of racial and economic justice, women's and children's rights, gay and lesbian dignity, religious freedom, the needs of the poor and homeless, full-employment, health care, educational opportunities, nuclear disarmament and ecological sanity," her biography on The King Center's Web site said.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
yea what did this wench ever due that is benifitting this nation right now?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
From what I know her and her family did a great job at copyrighting MLK Jr.'s speeches and charging schools or any other institution for replaying them etc.

Not a good legacy IMHO.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
unless your negroe I dont understand why you would give a rats ass ...
do you think black people run around posting crap acting all concerned and niave when some WIFE of some prominent white guy dies

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Very ignorant statement ....do your homework....

R.I.P. Mrs. King

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
pfffffff............please

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I don't want to disrespect anyone, but I think djohnsto77's post is relevant. I know Coretta received a lot of criticism from those who claimed she was exploiting MLK's legacy for $$. Also, the King foundation has been criticized for their aggressive control of Dr. King's teachings via copyright and some people claim that this is actually preventing people from hearing Dr. King's teachings.

I have all the respect in the world for Dr. King and I think he did a lot to change this world for the better, but I have to admit I'm not as enthusiastic about Coretta. All things considered though, I hardly know all the facts and I'm sure Coretta did some positive things as well, so I'll say RIP Coretta.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Shush
unless your negroe I dont understand why you would give a rats ass ...
do you think black people run around posting crap acting all concerned and niave when some WIFE of some prominent white guy dies

i thought we were here to [/ignorance]

she was instrumental in making sure the MLKjr center was a place preaching nonviolence.

also, she continued to give speeches with the same message as her husband until she had a stroke not too long ago (1 year or less).

thank you CSK, and RIP

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
"she was instrumental in making sure the MLKjr center was a place preaching nonviolence."

so does nickleodean, the pope, police, the school system in genral, your PARENTS, sport idols,actors,artists,and a whole pile of others who are way more credible then her
the MLKjr center
....do you go there often, how did it influence your life..
oh and what are the crime statistics in the city that the center is in and what are the crime statistics to every mtn luth kong st thats in any city?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
shush, why do you continue to spout off racist statements?

the reason streets named MLK are dangerous is because the streets were ALREADY dangerous, and a name can't change that.

do you have anything against MLK? is there some reason why you can't acknowledge that he is a true american hero?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
i didnt realize i was being racist
but ok your right , and i totally fouled this one up.

so now what?

new topics

top topics

join