It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of Iraqis Support Attacks on GIs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Nearly half of Iraqis support attacks on U.S. troops, poll finds

A new poll found that nearly half of Iraqis approve of attacks on U.S.-led forces, and most favor setting a timetable for American troops to leave.

The poll also found that 80 percent of Iraqis think the United States plans to maintain permanent bases in the country even if the newly elected Iraqi government asks American forces to leave. Researchers found a link between support for attacks and the belief among Iraqis that the United States intends to keep a permanent military presence in the country.

At the same time, the poll found that many Iraqis think that some outside military forces are required to keep Iraq stable until the new government can field adequate security forces on its own. Only 39 percent of Iraqis surveyed thought that Iraqi police and army forces were strong enough to deal with the security challenges on their own, while 59 percent thought Iraq still needed the help of military forces from other countries.

Seventy percent of Iraqis favor setting a timetable for U.S. forces to withdraw, with half of those favoring a withdrawal within six months and the other half favoring a withdrawal over two years.

According to the poll's findings, 47 percent of Iraqis approve of attacks on American forces, but there were large differences among ethnic and religious groups. Among Sunni Muslims, 88 percent said they approved of the attacks. That approval was found among 41 percent of Shiite Muslims and 16 percent of Kurds.

The Poll was published by WorldPublicOpinion.org

Sure are Interesting Results.

Now I am not surprised that almost 90% of the Sunni Muslim Approve of the Attacks on US GI's - but I was amazed by the Shiite Approval, which was really High - 41%. That is almost HALF of the Iraqis Ethnic/Religious Majority!

The Problem is, that US and the Coalition Forces are Creating all Kinds of Problems in Iraq - without Offering SOLUTIONS!

Ironic, that more then 80% of Iraqis think, that US Plans to maintain Permanent Bases in the Country - as it was Planned before.

Do you still Remember what Mister Rumsfeld said in 2003?

"At the moment there are no plans for permanent bases in Iraq. It is a subject that has not even been discussed with the Iraqi government."

I am sure that Permanent US Bases will Severly DECREASE Insurgency in Iraq...

[edit on 31/1/06 by Souljah] extra DIV

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
So much for winning the 'hearts and minds'.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSpallacus
So much for winning the 'hearts and minds'.

I guess that this part of the Job was never the Good Side of US Military.

I was Surprised about the Shia Approval rating tho - they did see the Coalition of the Willing as the LIBERATORS.

I guess not Anymore...

"It was clear after the invasion that about a third or more of Shiites did not see us as liberators, and did not see the war as justified, and somewhere around 15 percent supported attacks on coalition forces then."

Today 41% Support the Attacks.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So you think we should leave the Iraqis to the violent fate that awaits them if we leave? I realize its violent now, but if we leave the guys who have been blowing them up will have free reign to do as they please. We cannot allow that to happen.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
So you think we should leave the Iraqis to the violent fate that awaits them if we leave? I realize its violent now, but if we leave the guys who have been blowing them up will have free reign to do as they please. We cannot allow that to happen.

Well, if you did not Notice, they already ARE Blowing themselves up as they Please - with US and Coalition Presence. And as the People speak, the Presence of US and Coalition troops Increases the number of Insurgent Attacks, not the other way around.

But the New Big Bad Bases will sure take care of this Problem...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Why is it only nearly half? You think it be 100% that would support the attacks on the coalition?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I didn't see the original post (IGNORED), but am guessing that "Baghdad souljah" is up to his usual trick of trying to spread disinformation with this thread. If people stop feeding him with responses, maybe he would be re-assigned to another website.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Why is it only nearly half? You think it be 100% that would support the attacks on the coalition?

Well, you would Think that after all this Time, the Numbers for US would Increase - but whats going on is exactly the Opposite.

Can you explain to me, how come that the Shia Majority, that Strongly Supported the US Invasion of Iraq, in now 41% FOR attacks on US GI's, when two years ago this share was only 15%?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Poll questions can be worded to produce a DESIRED outcome.

Having said that, I think the presence of ANY foreign FORCE in ones own home country
will always be viewed in the negative. The more differences between the HOME TEAM and
the VISITORS (language, culture, religion, etc.), the greater the negativity.

Originally posted by deltaboy

This statement, if fact, would indicate that the presence of foreign forces in Iraq
is more welcome than not. The thing that shifts the balance of how the Iraqi people
view the foreigners is their memories of how it was then to how it seems to be now.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This survey is an outright joke and clearly biased. Hell anyone can ask 1,500 people in a certain area knowing what the outcome will be

Also note there are no estimates as to the acuracy of the survey. :shk: Most surveys have them but not this one. WHY??

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
This survey is an outright joke and clearly biased. Hell anyone can ask 1,500 people in a certain area knowing what the outcome will be

Also note there are no estimates as to the acuracy of the survey. :shk: Most surveys have them but not this one. WHY??

If you had clicked on the link, followed the other link at the bottom of the page, and looked for the Questionnaire and Methodology .pdf at the worldpublicopinion.org web site you would have found that the margin of error was +- 3%

Thats 'plus or minus three percent'.

www.worldpublicopinion.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Permanent bases don't mean anything significant, we have them in Germany, UK, Japan, Canada etc... They're just there so that if need be we have a platform from where we can respond to new emerging situation in the region.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
I didn't see the original post (IGNORED), but am guessing that "Baghdad souljah" is up to his usual trick of trying to spread disinformation with this thread. If people stop feeding him with responses, maybe he would be re-assigned to another website.

Honestly now, was that really constructive? You don't even know what he posted, so you are attacking him blindly. For shame centurion1211, for shame!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Permanent bases don't mean anything significant, we have them in Germany, UK, Japan, Canada etc... They're just there so that if need be we have a platform from where we can respond to new emerging situation in the region.

Yes, but does the Presence of Permanent US Bases Upset the Local Population to that Point, that they Attack US Soldiers there? Do z Germans attack US Patrols? Or the Japanese? Iraqis already know that US Plans to STAY on their Land, without any Intention of Leaving - thats why 4 BIG BAD Bases will be built. With Constant US Presence in Iraq, the US issues a Warning to all the surrounding Rouge States, that they are Near By if anything happens, they can be quickly rolling across the Borders...

But will the DECREASE the number of Attacks on Coalition Troops?

I Doubt it...

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

Thats 'plus or minus three percent'.

Normally polls state that fact in the story, but I can accept those figures since they show that once again the author was not being honest.
Kindly note it is not half, it is less then half

Q5a-c. Do you strongly approve, approve somewhat, disapprove somewhat, or strongly disapprove of the following:
Strongly Approve Disapprove Strongly (Refused/
Approve Somewhat Somewhat Disapprove DK)

a. Attacks on US-led forces in Iraq............23% 24 29 23 1
Kurd................................................ 8 8 18 63 3
Shia Arab........................................ 9 32 41 18 *
Sunni Arab..................................... 77 11 9 3 0
Other............................................... 5 38 24 31 2

[edit on 2/1/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Do they have a poll for how many Iraqi's are affected in one way or another by the illegial occupation of there country?

maybe a poll for how many have lost a Friend, Cousin, Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Grandfather, Grand Mother, Auntie, Uncle, Nephew, Cousin..

maybe a poll for how many houses have been destroyed, how many priceless photos burnt in missle strikes... how many generations have been wiped out?

maybe a poll of how many people agreed with the US that saddam had WMD?.....Nah cant have that poll... the margin for error (2-3%) would probably fail to even be met.

Polls like this are STUPID.
If someone invaded my country, murdered THOUSANDS of my country men, occupied for 3+yrs then when there reasoning was found to be LIES changed there motives for war.. Id be surprised if 90% didnt agree they needed to be hit

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
At least Bush's blind supporters can never claim the Iraqis love them and welcome them as liberators. Altho im sure the majority of them will completely ignore the post and subject, just like they do when there goverment has been caught lying and cheating.

As for the people who said if the US pulls out now Iraq will be doomed, this is more propaganda fed by the US. It might take some time but if all the non Iraqi forces left there would be no jihad seekers heading to Iraq, and the domestic resistance would no longer need to attack Iraqi forces. This will never happen tho, what do you expect when you put a coke head oil barron from a long line of thievs and traitors into office. Some man you yanks choose to represent you huh?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Polls like this are STUPID.
If someone invaded my country, murdered THOUSANDS of my country men, occupied for 3+yrs then when there reasoning was found to be LIES changed there motives for war.. Id be surprised if 90% didnt agree they needed to be hit

Good point, i cant understand that Americans cannot see that if you invade a country with a bad leader, even a terrible leader, there population will still fight you when you treat them like Iraqis like same as the enemy you are there to fight. The US recently released hundreds of prisoners after months in Abu ghraib because they found they had no reason at all to hold them... Now if i was one of these, or a close relative of one of these people i would sure want some revenge, and want to make sure the US could never do something like that again.

new topics

top topics

join