It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas will make a deal! Withdraw For End To Armed Resistance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
In a stunning move Hamas has turned the tables on Israel coming right out and offering everything Israel says they want.

Hamas will make a deal

If Israel withdraws from the territories it occupied in 1967, the movement will end armed resistance
Contrary to the claims of alarmists who see the Hamas election victory as a threat to peace, new opportunities for making peace could now emerge. The peacemaking episodes of the past were based on assumptions absolutely unacceptable to the majority of Palestinians and those who support the justice of their cause. From Oslo to the road map it was always assumed that Israel was the victim that needed to live in peace and security and that the key to this was the end of Palestinian terrorism. The new peace process that Hamas may indeed be willing to be part of should be based on the fact that the Palestinians are the victims and have been victims since Israel was created on their soil. It is not Palestinian terrorism that is the problem, but Israeli aggression.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin, who was cut to pieces when Israel shot him with an air-to-surface missile, spelled it out long ago. We shall never recognise the theft of our land, he said, but we are willing to negotiate a ceasefire whose duration can be as a long as a generation, and let future generations on both sides decide where to go then. His ceasefire conditions are fully compatible with international law. Israel would have to give back what it occupied in 1967 - then without any Jewish settlements - and release all Palestinian prisoners. For that Hamas would halt its armed struggle and instead pursue peaceful means.

Does Palestine have a partner for peace with Israel?

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I don't even know if Hamas *wants* to make a deal, but as a party that was elected on, at least partially, the basis that they were going to clear up the mess Fatah made of Palestinian society, they're going to be in a *big* hole (to the tune of at least $600M from the EU) if they don't get their act together.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Maybe it was easier for Hamas when they were the opposition - they've got power, but with it comes responsibility. Wonder how they're going to play this?

TD

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
What a good move.... while Israel is jumping up and down about the "Terrorist" government next door, they slide in with a proposal for peace that is along the lines of what Israel has been saying for years.

Cant wait to see where this development takes us

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
From my reading of the article, it seems is the opinion of one person, not a formal offer from Hamas. But, even if it was, it'd be a non-starter since that includes part of Jerusalem, doesn't it? Jerusalem will always be a part of israel...I can't imagine any of it being given up.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As DJohnston said, this is an opinion peice not an offer from Hamas.

· Azzam Tamimi is director of the Institute of Islamic Political Thought; his book on Hamas will be published this summer

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
From my reading of the article, it seems is the opinion of one person, not a formal offer from Hamas. But, even if it was, it'd be a non-starter since that includes part of Jerusalem, doesn't it? Jerusalem will always be a part of israel...I can't imagine any of it being given up.

Hello Dr J!

The Israelis seemed happy enough not having East Jerusalem until about 1967 or so. Although I agree, it's now their 'eternal capital'. I think the point is that Hamas are going to be a bit unpopular if they get foreign aid cut off, which as far as I can make out is their only means of keeping their country afloat.

Like I said, I'm just really interested to see how they're going to play this.

TD

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Way to read the article you posted.

There are many people on these forums that read the headline and post articles without even reading them first. I'd suggest going over the stuff you post in the future.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hello Dronetek

You're right, it's an OpEd in a left-wing British Newspaper, but reading between the lines maybe the guy's saying something relevent? I did a websearch on Azzam Tamimi, and here are a few links:

(excuse any problems here, I'm trying to do something to the link to avoid stretching the page)

Link 1

Link 2

He's obviously an arab intellectual, but maybe he does have some perspective on attitudes in Hamas? Like I said, even if they're not keen on keeping a ceasefire, they're going to be really unpopular if they don't and lose the state all of it's aid funding.

TD

PS Right. the url thing didn't work. Can anyone explain in simple words how to do the hyperlink thing?

Off to work!

[Mod Edit - Hey TD Press quote and take a peek at the links format now.
- Jak]

[edit on 31/1/06 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
it seems rational that hamas would make a concession. they know they can't take on israel when it has backing from several powerful nations. also, can't they compromise on jerusalem, making it an international city or some other neutral site?

i still don't see exactly why the NATION of israel (not the people in it, but the organization) has any right to exist, and to withold any land from the palestinians that used to own it.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i still don't see exactly why the NATION of israel (not the people in it, but the organization) has any right to exist, and to withold any land from the palestinians that used to own it.

That is exactly what a lot of Arab countries leaders say, including Irans. People put spin on this tho and imply they mean they want every jew there killed... I dont think Israel will never agree to this, giving up there holy sites in Jerusalem. Even if they did there own stability would be ripped to shreads by extremist zionist jews fighting to rebuild there temple and keep the other holy sites of theirs.

This is why i support moving Israel or at least giving the Palestinians a share in running the country as a whole, without this there can never be peace in the Israel.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaupeDragon
The Israelis seemed happy enough not having East Jerusalem until about 1967 or so. Although I agree, it's now their 'eternal capital'.

TD

Israel was never happy not having East Jerusalem. The only reason that Jerusalem was not taken from Jordanian control was because the British support ot jordan and the threat of War with Britain if Jerusalem was taken back unilaterally.
Despite repeated assaults by IDF troops, the Old City of Jerusalem remained in Hashemite hands,as did the Latrun Corridor leading up to it.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin, who was cut to pieces when Israel shot him with an air-to-surface missile, spelled it out long ago. We shall never recognise the theft of our land, he said, but we are willing to negotiate a ceasefire whose duration can be as a long as a generation, and let future generations on both sides decide where to go then. His ceasefire conditions are fully compatible with international law. Israel would have to give back what it occupied in 1967 - then without any Jewish settlements - and release all Palestinian prisoners. For that Hamas would halt its armed struggle and instead pursue peaceful means.

You do of course understand that Yassin was the leader of Hamas.

They were willing to make a deal before, and are still willing today.

The problem is that they want what is just, and demanded by international law.

Israel is not willing to give back everything they took in the 1967 war.

They never even came close to offering this, ever.

If Israel were a partner for peace they would gladly accept Hamas's terms for ceasefire.

Only a fool, or a zealot consumed with land lust would turn down the deal.

For Israel its Red Hot Temple Lust on top of irrational land lust.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
In a stunning move Hamas has turned the tables on Israel coming right out and offering everything Israel says they want.

Hamas will make a deal

If Israel withdraws from the territories it occupied in 1967, the movement will end armed resistance

....... and then start the armed Liberation of the rest of Palestine!

I'm sure Israel is looking forward to that.

Until Hamas and other groups recoginize Israel's right to exist in peace with safe borders there is not much to talk about. Why negotiate with someone who wants to destroy you?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Does Palestine have a partner for peace with Israel?

israel is already doing this and set out such plans months ago...

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

israel is already doing this and set out such plans months ago...

Israel has NEVER offered to give back everything they took in the 1967 war.

Israel has never kept its end of any deal made with the Palestinians.

Hamas has offered a generation long ceasefire if Israel would simply withdraw.

The occupation cannot continue forever.

At some point Israel will either become a democracy by finally creating a Constitution, defining borders, and giving all Palestinians Equal Rights and Israeli Citizenship.

Or Israel will begin Mass Ethnic Cleasing.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Way to read the article you posted.

I did read it, and I understand what I wrote.

It must have been stunning for you to read the title and believe Hamas had offered to make a deal.

And they have, many times.

You never hear about it because your media sources don't want you to know.

Half of propaganda is what they don't tell you.

No, they are not willing to recognize Israel at this time, and yes they want back everything taken in 1967, but is that such a bad deal for an end to the conflict even if only for a generation?

[edit on 1-2-2006 by ArchAngel]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

At some point Israel will either become a democracy by finally creating a Constitution, defining borders, and giving all Palestinians Equal Rights and Israeli Citizenship.

really? tell these settlers that news.bbc.co.uk...

dont be ignorant they offered it once before but were rejected.

they have too stuck to agreements.

and are you aware that the term for cease fire that hamas used was traditionally temporary and a period of preperation for war?

hamas is decieving you, they only desire destroying israel..

are you really that ignorant? israel is a democracy with a constitution...

and palestinians want their own state, not israeli citizenship BUT there are palestinians in the israeli government.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That deal sounds about as plausible as the US giving back all the land to the American Indians.

HAMAS, ITS POWER BASE AND THE IRANIAN CONNECTION

Hamas’ position regarding Israel is clear: “initiatives, and so-called peaceful solutions and international conferences are in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic Resistance Movement... Those conferences are no more than a means to appoint the infidels as arbitrators in the lands of Islam... There is no solution for the Palestinian problem except by Jihad.” (Article 13, Hamas’ Founding Covenant)

So What does the President of Iran who represents the principle backers of Hamas' funding say?

"Israel must be wiped off the map"

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
the president of iran is one man, who can and will be overthrown if he were to go to war without the consent of his people, who are largely against attacking israel.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

really? tell these settlers that news.bbc.co.uk...

dont be ignorant they offered it once before but were rejected.

they have too stuck to agreements.

and are you aware that the term for cease fire that hamas used was traditionally temporary and a period of preperation for war?

hamas is decieving you, they only desire destroying israel..

are you really that ignorant? israel is a democracy with a constitution...

and palestinians want their own state, not israeli citizenship BUT there are palestinians in the israeli government.

what does an article about the charicature of mohammed prove about israel keeping agreements?

first off, does israel have ANY right to exist as a nation? the people may deserve to live, but does a theocratic jewish nation named israel really deserve to exist if they can't at least cede part of the land they stole from the palestinians?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join