It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish cartoons inflame islamic nations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
A few months ago the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published a cartoon featuring the Prophet Muhammed as a terrorist. The publication has sparked controversy throughout the Islamic world. Many Islamic leaders demanded an apology. The Danish government has however refused siting its long tradition of freedom of the press.

news.bbc.co.uk...

That however was not enough for Saudi Arabia which has recalled its ambassador. And than called for a boycott of Danish goods.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Danish company Arla which is one of europe largest dairy producers is fearing a boycott against its products has appealed to Jyllands-Posten to apologize.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I have to ask my european friends what they think of this. I mean I understand how this could be offensive to muslims. However I can't help worrying if this is a slippery slope. Like will every time a journalist gets out of line (which they were) the whole Islamic world feels it has to intervene in european affairs.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by danwild6]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If that was turned around, and some Arab leader like Gadhafi started burning images of Jesus and taunting Christians in the media, or depicting our president in a bad light and being unapolagetic, western leaders & religious leaders would be flipping out with righteous indignation! Imagine what Pat Robertson might do or say!
He'd probably predict God would reign down pestilence upon that nation (think: nerve agent) in the not-to-distant future. Pre-indicted Tom DeLay would be shaking his chubby little fist at them from the floor the House, making his acid remarks to score points with red-meat Americans hungry for war.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
ECK, they already burn our flag, burn our President in effigy and chant "Death to America, Death to the UK, Death to Israel, etc. etc. etc." all the time!

They don't attack Jesus, but that's only because they consider him to be a prophet and holy man too.

[edit on 1/30/2006 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 1/30/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
ECK, they already burn our flag, burn our President in effigy and chant "Death to America, Death to the UK, Death to Israel, etc. etc. etc." all the time!

Exactly! And do you hear Pat Robertson?! He keeps getting crazier and crazier!

I can't even begin to wonder what that guy's gonna come up with next. Ann Coulter's another speaker/commentator out there who is just out there off the rails of reason and decency.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
they, they, they *sigh*

who ?
not all Muslims do all that so please save that

I actually put this same argument to my mother who is Muslim and she did make a very good point that Muslims do not even know what the Prophet Muhammed looks like hence this being a little different to the Jesus "jokes" and such offence being taken.

I personally find them all deplorable and anybody taking a "stab" at anybody's religion should be ashamed of themselves. It is NOT ever funny no matter who is making the joke or laughing at it let alone who it is about.

:shk:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I have yet to see these cartoons in any articles. The unseen stirs up more animosity or fear, than the seen. I suspect if they did republish them, people would see them for what they are, a non-story.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Jyllands-Posten in Aarhus and Copenhagen sent the employes home today due to bombthreats. Islamic groups are also saying that now its Denmarks turn to feel 'the wrath of muhammed'..

This is going waaay out of hand, just because we have a different view on the freedom of the press!

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It seems the situation is still worsening. Arla is being hit hard by the boycott of its products and the Danish Government is urging its citizens against travel to the middle east.

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Right on cue, the Islamic communities vent their rage and hatred at something thats not even worth discussing. A simple cartoon is enough to inflame these morons, who really have too much time on their hands.

Most Islamic communities worldwide suffer pretty harsh poverty and joblessness....and they wonder why?

Why would anyone open a business in their stupid neighborhoods?...where the rule of law is the AK-47 and the Koran.

If Muslims want change...than they better change their stupid attitudes and quit threatening everyone who makes remarks about their violent religion.

Nuff Said:

Maximu§

[edit on 123131p://222 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Right on cue, the Islamic communities vent their rage and hatred at something thats not even worth discussing. A simple cartoon is enough to inflame these morons, who really have too much time on their hands.

Most Islamic communities worldwide suffer pretty harsh poverty and joblessness....and they wonder why?

Why would anyone open a business in their stupid neighborhoods?...where the rule of law is the AK-47 and the Koran.

If Muslims want change...than they better change their stupid attitudes and quit threatening everyone who makes remarks about their violent religion.

Nuff Said:

Maximu§

[edit on 123131p://222 by LA_Maximus]

not nuff said, nowhere near enough.

when you violate the primary tennants of a religion, the religion's communities will get angry.

if a major USA population depicted the virgin mary as a crackwhore sticking a desecrated bible up through her genitals, you'd react similarly. that's how bad the cartoon was for muslims.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
If anyone is interested, (Not hijacking, just FYI) I started a thread discussing this same concept earlier. I think there's a link to the actual cartoons in there if you can't find them.

Laughing at Islam = Racist. Laughing at Other Religions = okay

Politically I don't understand how the UN is even taking the bait on this issue. It doesn't make any sense for them to care if any religion is poked fun of in an editorial cartoon.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
if a major USA population depicted the virgin mary as a crackwhore sticking a desecrated bible up through her genitals, you'd react similarly. that's how bad the cartoon was for muslims.

In the US, they put some in art shows and discuss it.
Dung-Covered Virgin Mary Sparks Controversy:
Art Professor Michael Davis Takes A Look

Here's what the Muslims are going ape over:
Mohammed-drawings-newspaper1.jpg

Act like an animal about some cartoons?
Then you have truelly become the animal.
Maybe it's time for bananas and cages?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This just outright proves the hypocrisy and idiocity of Islam. If I recall correctly, they claim that "Allah" is their one and only god, and only him alone should be worshipped. Yet, they put more worth on the prophets. All this "PBUH" crap after Mohammed's name, they revere him as much as the christians revere christ. This outburst proves it. Attributing "Blasphemy" to jokes about their prophet.

I dont get why its OK for Islam to outright attack and denounce other religions, yet when someone has a joke about their religion, not attacking it, its evil? Actually I do get it. Totally. They are afraid that people will see through their BS so they have to put up these lame defenses.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by Firefly_]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
In the US, a sitcom came out by the name of The Book Of Daniel. This sitcom took a Catholic family and applied every vice in the book to them in order to first be the most forced offensive show the producers could think of, and second to be "funny". Christians were irked at this show, and very outspoken that it should not be aired.

~

They called the US government and demanded they pull the show and make it illegal, or a crusade would be declared against the US government. Rather, a bigger crusade. They also called up and threatened to stop buying American products until the US changed its laws regarding freedom of information and the freedom to express ideas. They then proceeded to call in bomb threats to all NBC offices and in some cases try to plant bombs to kill as many NBC employees as possible because, well, even the janitors have a say in programming decisions by working for NBC. Rome pulled its Bishops from the US and all other countries NBC is aired in and demanded the governments not air that show. They also explained through more Christian news outlets that NBC is a state run news agency, and the US is promoting this idea that Catholics are horrible people because they're not perfect.

~

Wait, wait, I got my religions confused. That was the Islamic reaction to the horribly offensive cartoons, such as this one:

From what I remember, the Christian reaction to The Book Of Daniel was addressing NBC where NBC can best be reached -- their pocket book. The message was, essentially, don't air the show or you will lose a substantial part of your viewing audience. Guess what? NBC canceled The Book Of Daniel; France and Germany, on the other hand, are, due to the Islamic reaction to the cartoons, publishing them as well.

ECK: Do you honestly believe Pat Robertson is the Christian Religious Leader that all Christians follow? Do you believe Robertson reflects the majority of Christians? Or were you trying to turn this around and claim that Christians are no better in their reactions because Robertson is a nut, therefore Saudi Arabia should pull their diplomats?

Edit: Oh right, almost forgot. This drivel brought to you by JungleJake's 6,000th post! 6,000 posts, and nothing intelligent said yet! Maybe in the next 6,000...

[edit on 2/1/06/01 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Muhammed has been depictet throughout history several times, without any major communities exploding like we see now!
Examples can be seen here and here.

Simply amazing..

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's seems that everyone is witnessing Islam branching into two tables of thought. Islam as a religion and Islam as an ideology, a political concept.

BBC News "Anger grows over Muhammad cartoon" article, Thursday, 2 February 2006, 14:08 GMT

Hundreds demonstrated in Pakistan on Thursday, chanting "Death to Denmark" and burning Danish and French flags.

But one Jordanian paper has reprinted the cartoons, with an editorial urging Muslims worldwide to "be reasonable".

Palestinian gunmen briefly surrounded EU offices in Gaza to demand an apology over the cartoons.

Gunmen surrounding EU offices...In the name of religion! Over a CARTOON!! Waaaaaat???!!! It's got nothing to do with a cartoon has it? More likely using a topical item as an excuse to enforce their own draconian ideals.

This is getting ridiculous. Welcome to Western Democracy, where freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of thought and freedom of artist merit will continue to thrive. Go take your water pistols elsewhere, so called "peaceful believers".

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well, it seems France has surrendered.

However, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain just reran the cartoons, as did a Jordanian newspaper. The Jordanian newspaper printed the cartoons next to a column requesting Muslims to be reasonable.

Meanwhile, in London, protesters are calling for the death of all blasphemers of Mohammad. True to form, they ended their plea with a cry for the destruction of Israel, since we all know the Jews are behind this.

Interesting article

EDIT: JJ needs to learn to close tags.

[edit on 2/2/06/02 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well know the Danish PM has taken to the airwaves in order to calm the situation or at least to stop it from getting any worse.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Perhaps its protesting at the fact that the cartoons arnt funny...

Maybe some Calvin and Hobbes will cheer everyone up.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
Well know the Danish PM has taken to the airwaves in order to calm the situation or at least to stop it from getting any worse.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I expect this to take the worst things away now, but some extreme muslims are probably gonna continue their jihad against danish butter or whatever.. >.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join