It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building MoonBase Alpha For The 2st Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
September 13th 1999...the moon blasts out of Earth orbit and the inahabitants of MoonBase Alpha faces a struggle for survival and begins an amazing space voyage. Anyone remember this famous Sci Fi classic from the 1970's Space 1999?
I was gazing at the moon after watching re runs of this fabulous show. And something struck me. You may have seen on the news last year that NASA wants to go back to the moon and hopefully they will build a base there. In addition on the news tonight there are dire warnings about Global Warming being worse than previously thought. I would love to see a moonbase called Alpha built !! Do you think that we have the technology today to recreate Moonbase Alpha for real? Bill Gates could be Kano !! Who else would be ideal people to fill in the roles of Koenig, Dr Russell, Professor Bergman, Alan Carter et al? I reckon Commisoner Simmonds would be George Bush or Tony Blair !! Politicians, manipulative and decitful !!

What do you think? Should we start this amazaing adventure or stay on Planet Earth and risk chocking in the threat of global warming and overpopulation? I say we go and build MoonBase Alpha. The time is right, Humanity must touch the stars.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Oh come now...like you DIDN'T see my 2-day old avatar.

Yes, I think we should go and put a base on the moon. It would be the first step beyond IMO.

I also think a remake "Space: 2099" should be made.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I agree bagpuss that humanity must touch the stars but wouldn't it be wonderful if those of us left behind could have a nice environment to live in.

Personally I would rather see my tax dollars used to clean up the environment and halt global warming and help people.

Also who is going build the moon base? NASA? They don't have the greatest track record now do they.

Here's an analogy that I think might apply. When your house gets dirty; do you move or clean it up?

If we can't fix this planet; we have no business trashing the moon too.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well i think we need to start building now. There is plenty of evidence that global warming is getting out of control and the changes are irreversable. We also need to think in the light of all the violence and wars that we must put humans on the Moon and Mars to keep the Human Race going should we nuke ourselves into obvilion or some asteriod or other natural event wipes us out. Additionally i think the technolgy and sciencetific advances made by building the moonbase and then onto mars will help with the problems back on earth. look at what the Apollo programme did for us !

We must reach out and not be inwards looking all the time. We have to think of the bigger picture !!!

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
My step-sister was an extra in Space: 1999!

But yes, a moon-base would be a good idea, I think it's what they are aiming towards, as they will need it for the Mars mission.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
doesn't a lot of asteroids hit the surface of moon though? o_O

maybe the base will have to be built under the surface?

and yeah i think its a good idea if we think about the advances in technology that could be gained from the operation. also theres the risk that we nuke ourselves up, which in my opinion would be the greatest show-off of mankinds stupidity

and also along with the moon base i think we should seriously start considering the options of habiting some of the nearest planets ie. venus, mars. bit by bit, it doesn't cost all that much if we have the programs running in the background at slow pace.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

doesn't a lot of asteroids hit the surface of moon though? o_O

Yes, because the moon has essentially no atmosphere to speak of. Any space debris that gets pulled in by gravity just impacts on the surface, unlike the earth, where most debris burns up in the atmosphere, and only the largest stuff gets through.

For certain, more debris hits the surface of the moon than of the earth, but I don't think it's enough that it would cause a risk to a moon base. Just in case, the safest thing would be to build a base underground, although this would be more difficult to do, obviously.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
My step-sister was an extra in Space: 1999!

Oh wow !!! That is cool!! Which episdoe?

top topics

join