It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closest Flyby of (non striking) Asteroid Yet!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Check it out:

www.newscientist.com...

Though not very large, it was still just about on top of us.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
how much damage would an astroid like that do if it impacted earth ?? i know it would lose a lot of its size cause it would burn up in the atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I know! LOL!

The closer they get the more they lie!

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just think of the number of satellites that would be taken out if the atmoshpere was just brushed by an asteroid. That might cause a few problems.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tealc
how much damage would an astroid like that do if it impacted earth ?? i know it would lose a lot of its size cause it would burn up in the atmosphere.

This fits in the 10-20 meter diameter class. As it mentioned in the article it would likely explode in the atmosphere (likely quite high in the atmosphere). Explosive yield would likely be in the high kiloton to low megaton range, although atmosphere would be so high as to prevent damage on the ground (unless you were in a very unlucky airliner in the line of fire...)

This is about the size of asteroid that regularly impacts the upper atmosphere about 5 times a year. This has been well documented by the US KillSats, which constantly search for nuclear explosions on the surface of the planet.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Did you guys see this?

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So then, I wonder if this was the object I mentioned in my September 26th post, "What did I see last night?". To bad that article doesn't give any location... umm... "visual" wise.

new topics

top topics

join