It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion in Jacksonville, Fla., Releases Radioactive Materials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Reports are coming in of an explosion in Southside Jacksonville, Florida. Early indications suggest light radioactive material has been released into the air. The material is believed to be Krypton gas and does not pose a major public health hazard.

Source
JACKSONVILLE -- The Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department is on the scene of an explosion on the Southside. Tom Francis, JFRD Public Information Officer, says an explosion occurred at 7575 Baymeadows Way that resulted in the release of radioactive materials.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Authorities have released no information concerning the nature of the explosion. Terrorism has not yet been ruled out.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Nerdling]

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
im on Fox,
just finished chatting about it, CNN aren't covering it.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The report says that the person admitted to the ER had radioactive material, but they were low levels, and not life threatening.

Still...how bad could it have been?

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sigh..... /salute. Wow, the feeling inside is one of fear. I wonder who/what they will "blame" for this. For the sake of the people of the USA, I truly hope this was an "accident" that dos not get blamed on some patsy.

What timing as well, the day before the State of the Union.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by LaoTzu]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
they said Kryton gas? Not heard of it but it says minimal health risk... Another blow to the atmosphere by the US....

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Cripton (sp) Gas is what that has been leaked

FOXnews are dancing with the story, only bring it up now and again

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
"Dancing" with a news story = they have yet to be told by the up and ups what and what not to report.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Krypton is a chemical element with the symbol Kr and atomic number 36. A colorless noble gas, krypton occurs in trace amounts in the atmosphere, is isolated by fractionating liquefied air, and is often used with other rare gases in fluorescent lamps. Krypton is inert for most practical purposes but it is known to form compounds with fluorine. Krypton can also form clathrates with water when atoms of it are trapped in a lattice of the water molecules.

Wiki

Krypton is radioactive but isn't so bad, it's a step up from Radon.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here's a news story that just popped up a few minutes ago.
Link

Just an accident, most likely.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
www.unisonindustries.com...

At their Jacksonville plant manufactures aircraft powergenerators (altenators), wring harnesses, and turbine ignition systems. My bet is that the radioactive material came from test equipment, possibly NDI (Non Destructive Investigation) equipment.

www.unisonindustries.com...

Other sources for low level radioactive materials in aircraft manufacture is tritium for instruments and depleted uranium for balancing weights.

FAA Advisory Circular 20-123

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Bringing this down to NEWS. It's not a big deal.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me My bet is that the radioactive material came from test equipment, possibly NDI (Non Destructive Investigation) equipment.

I will agree.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Interesting that the plant does have extensive supply contracts with the military...

for cruise missle alternator/generators for instance

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Wow! This came as a surprise, since I live in Jacksonville! I was in school all day and didn't get a chance to check the news this morning.

In case I die, rock on ATS :-)

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
does anyone know whats going on now in this explosion i haven't heard anything else about it in a while now.

XL5

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have 2 Krypton arc lamps in my room filled with the stuff, its such a low dose of radiation that its not even normally talked about. These lamps dont even have a warning about radioactivity, just an explosion warning since they are pressurized. Mercury is much worse then this, it must have been a slow news day.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Whatever happened it wasn't significent enough for the evening news to comment on it...don't even claim they would try and hide it either...they run with everything they can get their paws on and run it into the ground.

top topics

join