It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Miss or Fake Pic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Pulled this from Drudge Report Via Sky News. Purportedly over East London. One is likely a DHL 737 or 767, the of a J8L (Airbus model?) ?

Any more info on this incident?

[edit on 1/30/2006 by soulforge]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The DHL plane looks more like an A300 or 310, the other one seems to be a JAL Airbus A330. It looks worse than it is (but it isn't faked). The impression of the aircraft virtually colliding is an optical illusion brought about by the photo being taken from a telephoto lens greatly distorting the distance between the planes, it is quite common and I have seen the effect many times, here's another example of the same kind of effect, its 'Sally B' at Biggin Hill in 1979. Sally B is still perfectly fine

[edit on 30-1-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
if its a fake, its a good one. both aircraft have exactly the same amount of shadow. IOW, they are both exactly the same angle to the sun at the same time of day.

if it is real, we'll hear more about it in the coming days because you dont get that close without someone filing a near miss report.....unless.....

there is a procedure called "visual separation" in which an aircraft need to climb through the altitude of another, but cant legally because they are too close horizontally (typically three to five miles is the limit...depending upon several factors that it would take too long to go into). the controller asks the aircraft if they can see the other one, and if they can, the controller can clear the aircraft to climb visually through the other's altitude. in the US, this is only allowed below 18,000 feet.

now, these aircraft could have had a visual climb clearance and one of them misjudged it, which i have actually seen happen before.

and then again, it could just be a doctored photo

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
There is already a post about this the photo is real
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Are you saying you don't believe me?

Another thing to think about. The A330 is considerably bigger than the A300 with the same fuselage section, however the photo makes it look as if they are roughly the same size but with the A330 having a much slimmer fuselage. This proves that the distance between them is not as it appears and in fact the DHL A300 passed harmlessly underneath the JAL plane. Like I said, optical illusion.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What waynos says is correct. When you shoot through a long lens, things lose their sense of depth and flatten out, making them look closer together. This is how Hitchcock was able to simulate the vertigo effect, incidentally. When you move a camera forward while optically zooming out at the same rate, the background appears to move away from you while the foreground stays the same. I know that has nothing to do with this, but I felt like sharing and it does kind of demonstrate the effect.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Snopes has now weighed in... It was merely an optical illusion, as surmised above...

www.snopes.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Waynos, Is the B-17 in the image 'Sally B'?, If it is then its the one ive been in back in 1994!!!!!!!!!! I also visited it in 1996 which was two years later.

It was silver once but its now in a 'Memphis Belle' paint scheme. Was also used in the making of the 1990 film too.

Sally B was built in 1945 and never seen WW2 service.

sallyb.dcgservices.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Here is another example of a distortional effect.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That is just an awesome pic... can't believe that our eyes are lying to us so much...
Or the camera...

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The DHL plane looks more like an A300 or 310, the other one seems to be a JAL Airbus A330. It looks worse than it is (but it isn't faked). The impression of the aircraft virtually colliding is an optical illusion brought about by the photo being taken from a telephoto lens greatly distorting the distance between the planes, it is quite common and I have seen the effect many times, here's another example of the same kind of effect, its 'Sally B' at Biggin Hill in 1979. Sally B is still perfectly fine

[edit on 30-1-2006 by waynos]

JAL plane is not an Airbus A 330 it is a Boeing 777 300ER. In fact JAL doesn't operate Airbus. You can tell that is a 777 by its more streamline shape, but specially by its raked wingtips. Aorbus uses conventional inclined winglets.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add your comments there.

Thread closed.

top topics

join