It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A President Loving Nation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Often I see pictures on the news showing American Presidents, present and past, being cheered by large crowds, waving banners and American flags, and am amazed that people feel this way about their government! Even in TV shows and movies citizens are depicted as if meeting the president is all their wildest dreams come true. They get all nervous and start worrying what they are going to say and hope they don't make a fool of themselves. Is this how it really is over there? Here in Australia I couldn't imagine anyone cheering the primeminister and getting all excited at the prospect of meeting him. This goes for primeministers past and present too. In my time I cannot ever recall coming across anyone who I could say honestly looked up to and revered a primeminister of ours, but maybe that's just me. Please tell me if what is depicted is accurate, and if so what is the reasoning behind such unusual behaviour?

[edit on 30/1/06 by mytym]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
In speaking for myself, if I met this particular president, I would probably be as likely to lose my dinner on his shoe as to get excited.

But many people attribute a kind of 'movie-star' or even 'savior' status to the office of presidency, it's true. Many people in the USA are a bit 'star-struck' when it comes to famous people. It's not really something I can explain either.

There are people I would be excited to meet, but it would be for their accomplishments and ideals, not because they are well known or can pretend to be someone else while a camera is tuned on them.

I don't think this behavior you witness is all that unusual, especially here. Is there anyone in Australia that you'd be very excited to meet? Does anyone hold the status that people here award to presidents and other celebrities? Perhaps music groups?

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am going to say no, there isn't anyone in Australia that I have any interest in meeting, but I know that in the past I have felt the need to mention to others that I saw someone famous or met someone famous if it occurred. In that regard I guess I treat the answer is yes. However I can't say that there is anyone here that would make me react the way many Americans are portrayed when they see the president. Then again I'm a bad example as I don't even bother getting autographs of people that I idolise when I see them.

There are definitely many other people here who would get excited at the prospect of meeting someone famous here, but the primeminister wouldn't fall into this category as if he were a celebrity. I cannot even imagine anyone that I have ever met in my life being excited by the prospect of meeting the primeminister! I couldn't imagine anyone being proud to tell me that they met the primeminister and referring to him with reverence! I suppose I don't find it unusual the many Americans act the way they do because I am so used to seeing it. However it is extremely unusual that this behaviour seems confined to Americans.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
However it is extremely unusual that this behaviour seems confined to Americans.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but just keep in mind that you cannot ascribe this behavior to 'all Americans' any more that you can ascribe croc-hunting to 'all Australians', and that's something many Americans can't imagine getting excited about

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I apologise if I came across this way. I was making a conscious effort to use "many" in front of the word Americans in my last post but got lazy with the last occurrance. Also I even made the effort to use the word "portrayed" in one instance as this is the only data I can base my opinion on, not having met too many Americans, but once again I got lazy. Definitely had no intention to offend or stereo-type, just wanted to save typing.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm not offended at all. Not at all.
Sorry if it seemed that way.

I wanted to make clear that I think there are probably other nations (in general) who hold some person (the Queen, perhaps? A rock star? Their president?) in what other countries might think is unusual esteem. I doubt that is unique to 'Americans'. In fact, I have heard that Hugo Chavez is pretty popular, loved and famous among his people.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Indeed that may be the case. I suppose due to what filters through the media, here in Australia we see very little from other countries apart from the US and the UK. The Queen no doubt has a similar effect on people, even many Australians, I might add. However despite not sharing their amazement I can see where they're coming from in regards to the Queen as she is not elected, she is the Queen because of her bloodline. Rock Stars and famous people I would put into another category as the Queen because, right or wrong, they have become famous due to perceived talents or achievements. Once again I may not share the view but I can understand why they would be looked up to. I suppose you can argue the same thing about the president, but from what I can gather, apart from perhaps JFK, Lincoln & Washington, there doesn't seem to be the talent, history of achievement or bloodline justifying the level of esteem enjoyed by the other presidents in the minds of many. No doubt this is a fairly broad and generalised comment, but I think it illustrates my point.

top topics

join