It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec 21st 2012 Facts?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Hi all,

I was thinking about Dec 21st 2012 and why the Mayans (and others) think this date is of significance.

I thought more about this and came to the realization that the Mayans were good at astronomy and, because of this, Dec 21st 2012 probably has something to do with the planets.

So I looked on the Internet, did a complex boolean search and found that our sun is travelling at around 43200 mph - this I didn't know. Now the question is; where will we be (ie Earth, the Sun etc etc) on Dec 21st 2012?

Before I post the link I found, please ignore the following with it:

1) The numerology information
2) The "coincidences" re the invitation etc

Concentrate on the "mechanics", ie particles and magnetic fields and the Sun and the planets. Anyone who knows about magnetic fields will know what I am talking about regarding this link...from a "magnetism" point of view, it is VERY interesting:

www.holyconspiracy.com...

Also, I do not believe we will all die on Dec 21st 2012 as this "cycle" apparently happends every 26000 years or so. As there are tribes etc that are older than 26000 years (ie Aussie Aboriginals) then it's a sure fact that we can survive
Maybe it's good to live in oz

I just think we may have to hang on for a little while - literally

Here's another link that provides more info on cycles:

www.homepage.montana.edu...

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

JS

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I am not a believer in the mayan stuff, but I do have a question.

About 30 or so years ago I remember seeing an advertisement on TV about some sort of extra-terrestrial movie. I never saw it but it looked more like a documentary type of movie. I believe it was released in theatres. Anyway in it a prediction was made about some date, I could be mistaken but I think it was the December 21, 2012 date, would be the date for the return of "aliens" to the earth. Is anyone familiar with this?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
To all:

Now that this thread has moved to the proper group where the planet guru's are, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my original post?

It relates to planetary positions, gravitational effects and possibly particle physics re 21st Dec 2012.

Cheers

JS

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I'm not sure at all, but wouldnt all planets line up ?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There are no planetary alignments on that date.

In fact, since there planets are not all on exactly the same plane, a true alignment of the planets can't occur on any date. And if it could, so what - it's like places 8 marbles in a line and expecting them to affect a football 3 miles away....

I'm not even all that sure that the Mayan calendar cycle really does end on the 21st December 2012..... What day did it actually start? Sometime in 3114BC... What happened then? Since that must have been the end of the previous cycle?

My guess (well, I'm 100% confident in this) is that the end of one Mayan calendar cycle will have as big and far reaching consequences for life on earth....................as the end of one Chinese year cycle and the start of another

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
There are no planetary alignments on that date.

My guess (well, I'm 100% confident in this) is that the end of one Mayan calendar cycle will have as big and far reaching consequences for life on earth....................as the end of one Chinese year cycle and the start of another

Thanks and I feel reassured. I've never been real excited about the end coming in 2012. Just didn't ever make sense. However, I am wondering from a point of ignorance ... Are there any other alignments out there that will occur? Not necessarily for evil to be visited on us puny Earthlings (
) , but something else that might be of astronomical interest? Say for instance, alignment of all the possible combinations of moons in our solar system? How about the alignment of say, for instance, a couple of galaxies?

I am NOT looking for bad juju to be visited on us. I am, simply, mildly curious as to what the beginning and end of the Mayan Cycle is based on.

Thanks for any input and enlightenment for my gray old head.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
There will be an alignment, yes.
And it has to do with astrology.

So, there is something called the ecliptic in our solar system. The ecliptic is the imaginary line on which all of the planets roatate around the sun. Now, as the Earth orbits around the sun, it appears that the sun "passes" in front of different constellations. Of course, it is just the persepctive of people on Earth as it rotates around the sun that defines which constellation, and therfore which astrological sign is active. The reason for this is that the sun doesn not move-rather, it moves very slowly in it's own orbit around the milk way. Walk around a lamp in the middle of the room, and you'll understand why it seems like the sun is "passing through" constellations as the lamp blocks your sight from certain objects.
But I digress, and yea, mightily.
The sun is on it's own orbit around the galaxy. And soon enough, actually, on December 21st, 2012, the sun will be making an alignment with the great rift of the Milky Way. If you are lucky enough to live in an area with little light pollution, go outside and look at the milky way for a little. Eventually you will see a dark patch running down the middle. This is the Great Rift, and is in reality a massive collection of cosmic dust that blocks our vision any further. Not so for the Mayans.

Original
For the Mayans, I am unsure of the exact legend and don't want to google at the moment, the great rift represents the birth canal, a doorway to the underworld. Soon enough, the winter sun will pass (approximately) directly through the middle of the Great Rift. In reality, there is a range of time that the sun will be within the great rift, which is 1980-2020. As you can see, the sun is in the rift but not yet covering it by it's one-half degree.

Anyway, that's the long story short. This great astronomical event (occurs every 26,000 years) must have been seen as the coming of something great for civilizations who had no conception of the galaxy, only a great tree that was filling the sky. Why the correlation among different civilizations? It will be visible from all spots on earth. Except for Belgium. Screw you Belgium.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
Dec 21st 2012 probably has something to do with the planets.

Some of the Mayan calendars do have a correlation to celestial events. The one that ends on 2012 is the Long Count calendar and there is evidence to suggest it has a relationship to astronomical anomalies. In fact in 2012 the Winter Solstice Sun will be in the crossing point of the Galactic Equator (Equator of the Milky Way) and the Ecliptic. This is known as the Precession of The Equinoxes. It's not a wild stretch of the imagination to see this solar observations resemblance to the symbol of the Holy Cross or the Tree of Life (Sacred Tree in the Mayan mythos).

Now the question is; where will we be (ie Earth, the Sun etc etc) on Dec 21st 2012?

The Sun will be aligned with the black hole that is the center of the Milky Way via its equater.

The Mayan Long Count calendar is 1,872,000 days long. That is indeed a Great Cycle. This date happens to fall on a galactic alignment. Speculation to its significance is to be expected. The Long Count could just be a tracker for the astrological ages (i.e pisces to the aquarius age). Perhaps there is more significance, I don't know. The Galactic Center is a giant Black Hole afterall =). I personally feel the increase in sun activity of recent is a result of this emerging alignment. I believe increased sun activity could affect the earths magnetic field. I think that in turn could affect weather and volcanic activity.

What kind of facts were you looking for?

I suggest reading this thread by Alias Jones. If you're able to convert the astrology and mythology into something more rational to your modern mind (astronomy) then you will enjoy it I am sure:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 052828p://1u58 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
of the spiralling paths of the heavenly bodies at the link included in your first post, though interesting , go haywire after crossing the galactic equator. if i'm understanding correctly,the sun will stop and the panets will continue travellling at 43,000 mph catching up and then reversing their relationship with the sun.??

[edit on 2-2-2006 by exsmokingman]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Although I believe there could be some truth, to some extent, somewhere, in this myriad of predictions that seem more like exaggerated assumptions about 2012; I think anyone/anything who/that prophecises about the end of life on earth is just pointlessly scaremongering. It's ludicrous. Whenever a date with numerical/mathematical significance comes along, they assume it's the end of the world.

Just shows how suggestable people are.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
For how long will this alignment occur?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This first link mentions something about the sun passing through the center or equitorial line.
(I have never heard an equatorial line called 'center'. Doesn't this seem unusually?)
Why couldn't the article in the first link give use the angle of depression the sun is traveling at toward this destination of the center or equator line? I am very interested in this.
Why will the elliptical motion of our solar system's celestial bodies reverse when the sun passes through the center or equator line?

[edit on 6-2-2006 by Frosty]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I think this is the one that the mayans are referring to, we are heading straight to the sag galaxy which our milkyway ate billions of years ago. A place of debris smashed planets, stars etc. I'm new here I can't insert pictures, i don't know how anyway the pictures comes from university of virginia's university relations the last letter of the address is sgr.htm. Nice to be here in ats I've been reading the post here for about a year and a half and I felt that this is the place to talk things out when not occuppied.

if we're lucky enough not to hit a debris this time around

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thanks to all for replying.

I will respond to everyone's questions in a few weeks.

I'm head down, a$$ up at the moment on another project, however I am putting together an interesting scenario that even the scientists are going to love (and hate at the same time) - just need to confirm a few things first before my next post

Cheers

JS

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by triaton
I think this is the one that the mayans are referring to, we are heading straight to the sag galaxy which our milkyway ate billions of years ago. A place of debris smashed planets, stars etc. I'm new here I can't insert pictures, i don't know how anyway the pictures comes from university of virginia's university relations the last letter of the address is sgr.htm. Nice to be here in ats I've been reading the post here for about a year and a half and I felt that this is the place to talk things out when not occuppied.

if we're lucky enough not to hit a debris this time around

Silly Lemmings

Why is it no one ever takes a moment to look up the facts from an accredited source on astronomy? We have such wonderful resources like the Hubble and all...The web give you access to all sorts of great info sources, even live feed from the SOHO solar observatory a million miles from Earth

The solar system is NOT heading for "sag"...whatever that means...

The Sun is moving towards Lambda Herculis at 20 kilometers per second or 12 miles per second. Or in units "per hour": 72,000 kilometers per hour or 45,000 miles per hour. This speed is in a frame of rest if the other stars were all standing still.

That's in the constelation Hercules... btw

We crossed the plane of the galactic center 2 million years ago... are 50 light years out and going to 250 LY before we cycle back thru the center to go the other way 250 ly...

The three-dimensional picture of the Sun's movement through the Galaxy is a little more complicated.

The Sun is moving upwards, out of the plane of the Milky Way, at a speed of 7 kilometers per second. Currently the Sun lies 50 light-years above the mid-plane of the galaxy, and its motion is steadily carrying it further away.

But the gravitational pull of the stars in the Galactic (Milky Way) plane is slowing down the Sun's escape. The astronomer Frank Bash estimates that in 14 million years the sun will reach its maximum height above the Galactic disk. From that 250 light-year position, it will be pulled back towards the plane of the Galaxy. Passing through, it will travel to a point 250 light-years below the disk, then oscillate upwards again to reach its present position 66 million years from now. We crossed the plane 2 million years ago. We are currently in the thick of the galactic disk and our view of distant regions is largely blocked by dust but 10-20 million years from now, our motion will allow a full view of our starry galaxy.

This is from Stanford University

We did a page on speed of the earth taking into consideration all the motions, [though we left out the vector calculations] Here

Kinda need that info if you want to find your way home and know where your planet will be...

As to the calendar of the Mayans why does everyone say "it will end" and "cycle" in the same statement? Cycle means start over... not end like a wheel draw a chalk line... when it gets to the chalk it continues.... the next revolution... doesn't our calendar renew and continue every 12 months?

If you want to worry, worry about the return of the Anunnaki LOL Only the enlightened shall survive the revelation. The Tibetans even know this..[look it up its on many threads]
Those that know will go thru the gate, those that don't shall cower under their bed and miss the boat

Tibetans say we will be saved by outside help

And BTW Aliens are "Critters"

[edit on 19-8-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Zorgon:

Thought you'd be interested in the following:

alignment2012.com...
alignment2012.com...

Cheers

JS

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I will look LOL BTW Your wrong on the speed of the sun...

You have to take into acount ALL the vectors

And currently our solar system is moving perpendicular to the plane on the galaxy and we are 50 light years above it, moving out to 250 LY before we swing back... so we crossed the galactic plane quite some time ago LOL

Figure THAT into you positioning

Oops posted that link above already

Its good to know these things, beccause with the Earth travelling as fast as it does, with as many directional vectors as it does, how will you find your way home after a few months in space?

[edit on 4-10-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
What I want to know is whats up with all these people on ATS talking about gloom and doom and the end of the world?

IF its coming, not much we can do about it unless you have some connections with some of planet guys that will give you a lift...

IF they new and told us, that knowlege WOULD be the destruction as there would be utter chaos

IF cataclism is inevitable.. what are YOU doing to get ready? afterall 2012 is only six years away... I have tents for 80 people and our sword fighting skills are pretty good so when the bullets run out... and my crown still sparkles
We can go Medieval anytime its necessary...[even have our own cloth loom
]

Anyone wanna join the cult?

IF you believe the end is coming, why be in here crying about it? Would it not make more sense to go out and enjoy the few years you have left?

LOL maybe the trick is to find the stargate... and when the hordes come through, duck in and go the other way... hmmm I wonder what happens during two way transit... I know you won't be seen but....

[taking note to Matt......]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Tsk Tsk Oh ye of little faith The ushering in of the age of Aquaris ushered in the Dawn of the New Golden Age!!!

They were called the Nazi... and that sure caused armegedon

Why do people not understand that the word "cycle" and "end" don't mean the same thing?

One stops dead, the other continues around the wheel and strats over... I forget which is which

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86How about the alignment of say, for instance, a couple of galaxies?

No problem I can help you there...

Pick a day you find favorable say your birthday..... okay? good..

Now draw a line out into space a few billion miles [galaxies are not in our neighborhood]

Now I can gaurantee you, that on any day you choose and on nay line you draw, several hundred galaxies will line up for you on your special day...

Hubble posted a picture... a 1/16 " square of sky viewed from earth they counted 1500 galaxies.. Click below... that picture is in the video

THEY are out there!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join