It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is the best band in 20 years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Im gonna say:

TooL
A Perfect Circle
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden (overshadowed by Nirvana, but far better)
Pearl Jam

Just my opinion.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Pixies
Nirvana (inspired by the Pixies)
Radiohead (again, inspred by the Pixies)
Soundgarden
Guns n roses, for about a year.
Pink floyd

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Did anyone mention the Stones?

Pray for Keef! He fell out of a tree and is suffering from a serious concussion.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Tool
Botch
Opeth
Q and not U

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Coming from my generation:

Old School Green Day
Old School Blink 182
Third Eye Blind
New Found Glory
Eve 6

That about sums it up.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
don't make me choose between NIN and The Clash...

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Opeth Megadeth Iron maiden Kyuss Slayer

All excellent bands.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
...and leaving out all the alt.obscure types...

Nirvana.

Followed by, in no special order, Radiohead, the Smiths, the White Stripes, U2, the Police and Elvis Costello & the Attractions.

If solo artists were allowed you'd have to include Prince.

Most innovative songwriters and musicians ever/most influential band ever: the Beatles.

Most rock 'n' roll band ever: the Rolling Stones

Best band ever (meaning best combination of musical ability, improvisational skill and onstage telepathy): Led Zeppelin.

Best reason why we can't possibly think of extending this survey beyond rock: Glenn Miller.

[edit on 6-6-2006 by Astyanax]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Come on poeple! We all know that Metallica is the best band of all time!

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
AC/DC members, Angus, Malcolm and George Young were all born in Scotland. They are in fact a Scotish band, with only one Australian member - the dummer after Dave Evans was replaced by Ronald Scott and later on by Brian Johnson who was also English...

They were never an Australian band, because a few members spent a few years there doesn't mean much.

Ridiculous.

The Young family moved to Australia in 1963. Angus was eight and Malcolm was ten.
Bon Scott was born in Scotland in 1946, his family moved to Australia in 1952, Bon was six. AC/DC was born (in Australia) in 1973. So Angus had spent most of his life in Australia when the band was formed, Malcolm had lived in both countries an equal amount of time and Bon had lived in Oz for twenty-one years. Both families are naturalized Australians.

Oh and by the way George Young was never in AC/DC, he was in another seminal Australian band, The Easybeats (but I guess that because George was born in Scotland that makes them a Scottish band).

Brian Johnson was the worst thing to happen to the band. Talk to any AC/DC purist and ask them when AC/DC made their best music. Seriously, has there been a better AC/DC album than 'Highway To Hell'?

Get your facts straight before spouting off with such crap.

Oh and I guess I should include my picks:

Dead Kennedys
Foetus (Australian)
AC/DC (Australian)
Rose Tattoo (Australian)
Lubricated Goat (Australian)

[edit on 6-6-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fingon
Come on poeple! We all know that Metallica is the best band of all time!

Who?

Oh, that lot.

I find them hard to tell apart from all the other hairy bands that sound the same.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Hmm, I'm not going to count the Beatles, Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, by 1986 they had "done their thing".

So the top five for the last 5 years, for me, would be:

The Mars Volta - Amazing.

Nirvana - Brought grunge to the publics attention.

Entombed - I've yet to find a band that sounds as heavy and ****-kicking as these without sounding cheesy doing it. Metal at it's finest.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Lot's of variety, and a lot of classics over the years. All you have to do is give in and enjoy his voice rather than let it grind your mind

Slayer - Will always be better than Mettalica.

and a number 6 because 5 ain't enough

Faith No More/Fantomas/Mr Bungle/Tomahawk/Other Mike Patton projects - The mans a musical genius. Enough said.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
the good ol' grateful dead.

1965-1995.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
my personall favorite bands would be - Against Me, God speed you Black Emperor, and perhaps Nile

the threads questions really wont be answered with any reply but id go with Chuck Berry, not sure if he made music within the past 20 years lol, but i know music is nothing more than a fad, in thus case if it wasnt then most the population would all be listening to Johann Sebastian Bach or Ludwig Van Beethoven, and id say most kids these days like rock so im going with chuck berry. only for time era that is, we all know elvis started a revolution, but he obviously hasnt made any music in the past 20 years

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Radiohead

Slipknot

Korn

Red Hot Chili Pepper

and ETC!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I cannot believe that all these posts have been made and not a single person mentioned two of the most amazing, influential and, most important, talented bands around.

New Kids on the Block
Menudo.

the game is over. ya can't top that.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
So many bands too choose from...
I didn't see it which upsets me a little. But for anyone who has seen the Beastie Boys in concert they have some pretty sick instrumentals and are a multi-talented bunch. So for the time period of 86 to 2006 they are my pick.

if it was an all time list the beatles would be there! not to upset anyone..

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bscale
Radiohead

Slipknot

Korn

Red Hot Chili Pepper

and ETC!

Man Red Hot Chili Peppers and Korn.. bring back the memories, old and awesome. I see RHCP have made sort of a come back not sure with Korn.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
dude the best bands are defenantly all british:
The Beatles
Black Sabboth
Led Zepplin
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
and
(even though there not brittish)
ACDC

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
by following the 20 year rule (1986 on) i would have to say tool. Out of all the other early-mid 90's bands,(rage,alice in chains,nirvana) they are the only ones still around and still together.with the exception of a guitar player.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join