It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bad grammer and spelling in posts...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well I was thinking about this and I came up with something. Since I have a learning disability and I usually have a really hard time with grammar and spelling I came up with a great way to help not only myself but also the new ATS users who have problems with grammar and spelling when they post.

Usually when I do create a thread I would highlight it and copy the text to Microsoft word are any other writing software. This usually helps me because it corrects many if not all of my spelling and grammar problems.

I feel that if anyone has problems with other people not being able to read their posts because if in proper grammar and spelling use, they should use a writing program and correct their problems.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You know ATSGUY, I use Google toolbar, and that will correct your spelling when you're in the post message box. Not that I ever use it of course, *cough, cough.

OK, OK. I definitely didn't use it that time.

[edit on 30/1/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
You might want to include your titles when spell-checking.

Just giving you a hard time. Nice to see that you actually care about the quality of you're posting.

Note: your is currently beating the hell out of you're in undeserved usage, so I thought I'd do my part in evening the playing field.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Don't tell this to anyone, but I failed high school 6th form English!

My secret is google toolbar, includes a spell checker. Get it from google

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanx for the info, I havent been to an english class in a couple of centuries. Im also sending out a lot of emails these days to the media and do not want to sound too awful dumb.:shk:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
if you guys think i'm an idiot, i want it to be for the content of my posts, not the spelling/grammer errors contained within. and people say us new guys don't care...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Well said Dirty Boots, it's about the content.

While it is easy enough (and can sometimes makes for easier reading) for anyone to quickly check the spelling in any post they are about to make I wouldn't worry that much about it. This is a topic that has come up numerous times and quite frankly if someone has to resort to grammar criticisms in order to further their point they have lost the argument.

To some people spelling comes naturally, to some it doesn't. Meh! We all make mistakes on occasion I know I have been stunned when looking at a post I have just made before and just sat laughing.

But...

If someone laughs at you for posting 'i am gr8 u r a moron 4 finkin dat' then HA!

Text/l337 is teh sux!

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I just love how somebody has tagged this thread with 'speeling'

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
That's okay blue, someone just 'speeled' a wrong. Wow! bad speeling, and graama in one sentence.

Just kidding!

Seriously though, Minor spelling and grammatical errors are really okay with me.

You have to understand that ATS is a very diverse community, with members spanning the globe. Many members speak English as a second, or even third language.

That I am able to even communicate with someone who is perhaps half way around the globe, more than makes up for minor discrepancies like that.

But also, the tips on using Word, or another word processor for spell checking purposes is an excellent one.

But even better still, would be to use the suggestion function (3rd button under the BTS logo and Banner ad above), to suggest to the staff about maybe incorporating a 'spell checking' function right here, like I have seen recently on another board.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Mechanic 32.

edit = oops!

edit button = my saviour (this post did'nt sound stupid because of that handy feature!)

[edit on 3/31/2006 by Mechanic 32]

top topics

join