It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers forced into extra duty in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
In 90, it was a 5 year active/3 year IRR (Inactive but Ready Reserves).

Some guys chose to convert the 3 years into regular reserves (2 weekends a month, 2 weeks a year, etc etc). After my regular active duty, I kept a low profile and was never tapped on the shoulder to come back in.

Funny, another guy I met who knew Farsi was being asked to come back 5 (FIVE) years after he'd been discharged (Other Than Honorably, Even, wow -- but at least it wasn't a Big Chicken Dinner). They really wanted his arse, BAD, for that skill, and this was back in 2003.

But in general I'll offer this for anyone wondering: what you have to assume (and not something any recruiter really will ever tell you) is that your ENTIRE CONTRACT from Day 1 to End is subject to you doing what the US Military wants you to do, period (.)

That being said, I enjoyed my stint. I actually would have gone career had I not got hitched and had a kid. The overseas stuff was a blast but in the states we got some of the worst duty assignments which really turned into some of the most excellent leave opportunities. Think Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas meets a Mexican border town.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Nothing new here folks. This has been going on for at least as long as ago as WWII and I'm sure even further back. Those who don't sign up don't have to worry about it. Those who do find out. Sorry, girls. It's a rough world out there.

[edit on 2006/2/4 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join