It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"No hands up" in London School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

LONDON -- Pupils in an East London school have been banned from raising their hands to answer questions in class because their teachers fear it leads to feelings of victimization.

No hands up" notices have been posted in every room at the Jo Richardson comprehensive school in Dagenham, as a reminder that the teachers will decide who should answer.

The principal, Andrew Buck, said it is always the same children who wave their arms in the air, while the rest of the class sits back. When teachers try to involve less-adventurous pupils by choosing them instead, that leads to feelings of victimization.

Ful Story: www.washtimes.com...

I'm not sure what to make of this. Can't say I ever felt victimised in this manner.

To spare the embarrassment of those who do not know the answer, the school uses a "phone a friend" system, allowing one child to nominate another to take the question instead.

And this is just silly because if I was a bully I could just nominate someone I disliked to embarrass them.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I agree - thats just silly..

I personally think children will feel victimised (like you said) If a bully etc picks somebody to make them look silly. A lot more so than being picked when your hand is down, which in anyway i don't see why do teachers do that, maybe the childs hand is down, simply because they dont know the answer

new topics

join