It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange illumination in sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
ok soo basically me and my freind were walking round the neighborhood at about 2 am in the morning....just talking casually about things when out of no where the clouds in the sky jus lit up with lights..all the clouds north of us were being illuminated by someting...the lights would change from geen, to blue, and then to purple.and would go threw that same pattern over and over the lights lasted for about 10 secounds then dissapeared. At first i thought it to b fireworks being blown up but then again who shoots off fireworks at 2 in the morning?...

me and my friend pondered this for bout an hour and couldnt really come up with any logical explanation for it...

btw i live in florida and have never seen lights like this in the sky....

idk if it could of been some kind of ufo.idk..i jus have no idea what could of caused those lights

if anyone knows what im talking about and has an idea what could of caused this plz fill me in...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Now this is where the anti-ufologists will come up with all the possibilities of what it could have been rather than support you with what you believe. If a ufo was to stop in front of them they would close their eyes and say, I CANNOT SEE NOTHING. Would not like to be a hypocrite now would we??

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Wow, your description sounds like the the Aurouraborialis(sp) or commonly called the Norther Lights but I don't know if they could be visible from Florida. I'm in Michigan and it is pretty common here. I've also heard of St Elmos Fire and I don't know much about it other then it causes the sky to light up. I don't think it is these colors though....but check into it. It is also certainly possible that it was some form of alien craft. When I was a teenager, we had something come out of the sky and land in the farmers field across from our house. There were lights with these colors circulating around the structure and blinking on and off at the same time. That stopped and then there was a glow around the structure which was more like rectangular then oval or round and it disappeared in to thin air. The lights shut off suddenly and then a single very bright spot light. This was at 2 am and everyone in my household along with the neighbors witnessed the same thing. There was also a strong sulfer smell.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
StMichael, I'm appalled. Is this not deny ignorance? Ignorance covers not just only accepting what we're told, but also not only accepting wild speculation. Ignorance is the opposite of finding THE TRUTH. Although I may have a theory that might explain this, it does not mean that I am blind to the truth.

If a UFO appeared in front of me, my eyes would be open, and I would study it, and find out what it is. This has happened to me in the past, I have seen UFOs - but the term UFO means UNIDENTIFIED flying object, and I will always reflect on what it might have been, either terrestial or otherwise.

Now, onto the point at hand.

I think ChristyZ is right, it does sound a LOT like the Northern Lights. However, this ionization of the air does not necessarily have to happen at the poles, though it does occur there most often. Sometimes it will happen in a localized area (and by localized, I mean probably only visible above half a small state - which Florida is not).

However, it confuses me as to why it only lasted 10 seconds or so.

Thus, I do not think it was the Northern Lights.

At the moment, the only other terrestial phenomena I can think of would be a plane or helicopter flying above the clouds. The "blue" may have instead been a whitish light that appeared blue due to the dark sky and the masking by the cloud. This would explain its briefness.

Some more information would be nice, especially on the following:

How localized was it? By this I mean, was it ALL the clouds to your north? Or just small patches.

How fast were the colours changing? Was it once every second? Three times a second? Once every two seconds?

Also, was it really ten seconds? Or is that an exageration caused by the sheer magnificence of the event. In which case, it's conceivable it was a fireball that was illuminating the clouds, which could be why you're describing it like it was "fireworks". 10 Seconds is too long for this, but 5 or even 7 seconds is conceivable.

Like I said, some more info would be nice to have.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yarium, I was directing this thought to the officials that know a lot of the truth and will do their utmost to keep truth hidden,there is nothing wrong with those that put forward opinions with an open mind, but some would not admit anything even if they knew.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
StMichael, I'm appalled. Is this not deny ignorance? Ignorance covers not just only accepting what we're told, but also not only accepting wild speculation. Ignorance is the opposite of finding THE TRUTH. Although I may have a theory that might explain this, it does not mean that I am blind to the truth.

If a UFO appeared in front of me, my eyes would be open, and I would study it, and find out what it is. This has happened to me in the past, I have seen UFOs - but the term UFO means UNIDENTIFIED flying object, and I will always reflect on what it might have been, either terrestial or otherwise.

Now, onto the point at hand.

I think ChristyZ is right, it does sound a LOT like the Northern Lights. However, this ionization of the air does not necessarily have to happen at the poles, though it does occur there most often. Sometimes it will happen in a localized area (and by localized, I mean probably only visible above half a small state - which Florida is not).

However, it confuses me as to why it only lasted 10 seconds or so.

Thus, I do not think it was the Northern Lights.

At the moment, the only other terrestial phenomena I can think of would be a plane or helicopter flying above the clouds. The "blue" may have instead been a whitish light that appeared blue due to the dark sky and the masking by the cloud. This would explain its briefness.

Some more information would be nice, especially on the following:

How localized was it? By this I mean, was it ALL the clouds to your north? Or just small patches.

How fast were the colours changing? Was it once every second? Three times a second? Once every two seconds?

Also, was it really ten seconds? Or is that an exageration caused by the sheer magnificence of the event. In which case, it's conceivable it was a fireball that was illuminating the clouds, which could be why you're describing it like it was "fireworks". 10 Seconds is too long for this, but 5 or even 7 seconds is conceivable.

Like I said, some more info would be nice to have.

i aslo thought about the possibility of the northern lights but then again im florida which i believe it is impossible to see from all the way down here.

and it wasnt every cloud north that was illuminated but more like small patches of clouds being lit up.

and 10 seconds was just a estimate ..and it is possible i could exagerated it so it could of happend for jus 5 or 6 seconds..

and i wish i had more information all i am stating is what i witnessed.
thanx for the input tho

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Thank you for the compliments
, and thank you again for posting more detail. It's sounding more and more like a Fireball to me now.

Fireballs are dense packs of ice and dust and rocks, very much like meteors, that enter our atmosphere and burn up. In other words, they're giant shooting stars. Shooting stars are tiny pieces - the Fireballs are the big daddies, so to speak.

So a Fireball, upon entering the atmosphere, burns up - releasing a lot of light of different colours, as the air around it, and the particles in it, burst into flames and plasma from the intense heat. One of the predominant colours is green, although red, and blue have been observed as well (PURPLE is a new one though - although it could have been the mixing of red and blue).

There was a whole SLEW of fire-ball sightings being mistaken for UFOs on ATS not long ago (about a month or 2 ago), due to their frequency during the meteor shower. I've seen one myself, first-hand, above the skies of Ottawa a year plus few months ago. Amazing sights really. And it was at about 3am - and the only reason I saw it was because someone pulled a fire-alarm and we all had to go outside.

It lasted about 4 seconds.

So, it's sounding like you and your friend witnessed a phenomenon almost as rare as a UFO! Don't think you're less special for that. These things don't happen often, and are even less often observed by someone! They are beautiful and majestic, and they do light up a whole patch of sky as they tear through the atmosphere.

Hope that can answer what you saw!

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
Thank you for the compliments
, and thank you again for posting more detail. It's sounding more and more like a Fireball to me now.

Fireballs are dense packs of ice and dust and rocks, very much like meteors, that enter our atmosphere and burn up. In other words, they're giant shooting stars. Shooting stars are tiny pieces - the Fireballs are the big daddies, so to speak.

So a Fireball, upon entering the atmosphere, burns up - releasing a lot of light of different colours, as the air around it, and the particles in it, burst into flames and plasma from the intense heat. One of the predominant colours is green, although red, and blue have been observed as well (PURPLE is a new one though - although it could have been the mixing of red and blue).

There was a whole SLEW of fire-ball sightings being mistaken for UFOs on ATS not long ago (about a month or 2 ago), due to their frequency during the meteor shower. I've seen one myself, first-hand, above the skies of Ottawa a year plus few months ago. Amazing sights really. And it was at about 3am - and the only reason I saw it was because someone pulled a fire-alarm and we all had to go outside.

It lasted about 4 seconds.

So, it's sounding like you and your friend witnessed a phenomenon almost as rare as a UFO! Don't think you're less special for that. These things don't happen often, and are even less often observed by someone! They are beautiful and majestic, and they do light up a whole patch of sky as they tear through the atmosphere.

Hope that can answer what you saw!

thanx much for info on the fireball..something i know little about and as u stated they are rare..but it all jus makes sence lol

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Now, is a fireball going to create the phenomena witnessed by the originator of this thread? Would the Northern lights create this phenomena?

Troy

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
only if u come up with a better explanation than that......northen lights was my first suggestion but again i live in florida and dont think northern lights can be seen down here...and i dout a helicopter could of some how generated what i saw.

sooo even tho fireballs are extremly rare ..its the only thing i can think of

new topics

top topics

join