It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

toophan2/at-5/tow-2 vs modern tanks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i have been reading up on some of the anti-tank missiles by countries such as Iran etc... and considering we(west usa/uk/france etc..) have never actaully faced much or even any anti tank missiles in iraq. how effective would these be if they where used aginst tanks such as challenger2, m1a1, m1a2 etc... would they be powerfull enough to destory the tanks.

missiles to consider :
kornet-e,
TOW,
toophan,
dragon(iranian version with larger warhead and tandem warhead configuration with extended probe),
at-3/raad-t(iranian at-3 sagger with larger warhead and tandem warhead config and extended probe)
at-4(russian),
at-5(russian),

iran posses all these missiles how well would they do against a ground invasion.

raad-t
warfare.ru...

at-4
warfare.ru...
www.fas.org...

at-5
www.aeronautics.ru...
www.fas.org...

toophan/tow
www.janes.com...

dragon(iranian)
www.iranexporters.org...
(frist picture)

also iran has origanal tow missiles and launchers but i dont have a link for them.

also note some of the information from the links are a bit outdated and not exactly the iranian version unless otherwise stated for example the iranian at-5 have a slightly more powerfull warhead and same with the at-4 which has tandem warhead with greater penatration in the iranian version which is not mentioned in the link.

[edit on 28-1-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Not as well as they could.

All of those ATGW's use the shaped charge concept to defeat armor. Although western tanks. especially the Abrams are resistant to them from many angles, the DU armor they are so praised for is best at defeating kinetic penatrators, like APFSDS. FSU tanks, although fairly vulerable to kinetic weapons, often use ERA armor (explosive reactive armor) that works very well at disrupting shaped charges.

The real question I would have to ask is what kind of tactics and plans has Iran set out for the use of its tanks and AT systems. A well prepared and conherent tank and At force can deal with superior armor, but an unorganized defense, especially in the wake of aircraft, will offer little to no help against armor thrusts. The idea of men armed with RPGs might be able to kill tanks, but not in a real tactical sense.

Iran has had experience in the 80's dealing with modern armor, and I would treat their concept of AT defense with a good deal of caution, regardless of their actual skill, just to be safe.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
Not as well as they could.

All of those ATGW's use the shaped charge concept to defeat armor. Although western tanks. especially the Abrams are resistant to them from many angles, the DU armor they are so praised for is best at defeating kinetic penatrators, like APFSDS. FSU tanks, although fairly vulerable to kinetic weapons, often use ERA armor (explosive reactive armor) that works very well at disrupting shaped charges.

The real question I would have to ask is what kind of tactics and plans has Iran set out for the use of its tanks and AT systems. A well prepared and conherent tank and At force can deal with superior armor, but an unorganized defense, especially in the wake of aircraft, will offer little to no help against armor thrusts. The idea of men armed with RPGs might be able to kill tanks, but not in a real tactical sense.

Iran has had experience in the 80's dealing with modern armor, and I would treat their concept of AT defense with a good deal of caution, regardless of their actual skill, just to be safe.

im sure that any of those anti-tank missiles could destory or atleast disable a tank from the rear but could it from any other angle i guess we will have to wait and see if a war with iran comes.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Theres toophan-1 and 2 which both can be mounted on cobra attack helicopters and can penetrate if not criticley damage the Amercian tanks, the newest one I can show you is is this which is believed to be either RAAD.

new topics

top topics

join