It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit Card Warning!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
THIS IS A GENUINE WARNING TO ALL ATB/BTS MEMBERS. PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY

My good friend Tim is a serving Police officer based in Jersey. He sent me this warning, which I pass on to you: This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

Background:

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

How it works:

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card that was issued by (name Of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £249.99 from a Marketing company based in (name of any town or city)?"

When you say "No" the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £150 to £249, just under the £250 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card and ask for Security. You will need to Refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers". There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?"

After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back; if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £249.99 was charged to our card.

Long story made short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them.

Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost to late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily!

'419' is the Nigerian penal code number for a handwritten letter or email scam originating in Lagos but now operating from Amsterdam, where the sender purports to be the sole living relative who is heir to money held in a security vault by either a bank or security firm. He or she desperately wants your help and for a small fee up front, they will cut you in once the monies have been released.

The recipient is 'invited' to respond with either Driving Licence or Passport number to 'validate' and authorise transfer of 'power of atourney' to him/herself.

Once this has been done, the recipient is usually invited to the country of origin where money is demanded from him or her. (In Jamaica at least one person with brutally murdered when no money was forthcoming)

I trust my friend explicitly and he has never steered me wrong before.

Please feel free to respond if you have come across any other credit card scams, letter or other 419ers.

mod edit:

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette (review link)
4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I see that not many of you have bothered to take this thread seriously.

Obviously you have more money to waste on scams than me. Any chance you can email me a blank check?

Seriously, this is a genuine threat warning. At present, this type of scam is prevelant throughout Europe and the States, but no credit card company
will inform you off the scam because, after all, they still make money off it!

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I'd take it seriously if

A. I had any money.
B. My credit cards weren't all closed because I'm behind on payments.
C. I had USED a credit card in the last two years.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Zaph, you're just not taking piracy seriously enough!

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
lol zaphod

I am about to be rid of all my credit cards thank God!

This certainly does require more attention fritz, good lookin out

Are U able to verify exactly where it has been happening or is this just a random worldwide thing ?

very disturbing indeed, I shall pass the word on

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Actually Fritz, I take it a lot more seriously than it appeared in that post. I was always VERY careful with my credit cards, and NEVER gave out any information about it. If I was talking to a credit card company, and they wanted the PIN, or anything else from the card, I always told them I'd call them back before I gave the info out.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
ImJaded this is a very serious threat. friend Tim has warned me several times in the past about dodgy credit card scams and the like.

What disturbs me most, is that the major credit card companies deny there is any problem.

I feel this may be due in part to their lucrative interest rates and the fact that if they advertised this little 'problem', they would loose customers.

Funnily enough Zaph, the book I mentioned on the other thread goes in to great detail about the 419ers and how they operate.

I have in the meantime, on behalf of our piratical TKA/ATS/BTS members, asked Tim to keep me informed.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I got an email once from some guy in Nigeria who claimed to have access to some deceased guy's money. I'd never come across a scam such as this before so I decided to ask him lots of questions to catch him out. He seemed to have his ass covered and I couldnt find any holes in his story.

He said the deceased died in a plane crash while away on business. I asked him where and when the crash happened he gave me a vague date and location. I checked this out on the net and could find no record of the crash anywhere. I told him this and he suddenly disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Since then I've come across a few similiar scams.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That was a close call Yossarian, because that was most definately a 419.

Good spot.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I've seen a few email scams along the lines of we are from some foreign country (possibly Nigeria) and we have millions of dollars we want to transfer to a foreign account. All we need is access to a foreign account and hope you can provide an account so that we can transfer a few million into it and your cut will be 15% or some generous amount. Please be discrete about this as we do not want the local population in our country to be any more upset than they already are. I seen this a few times or some variation. I knew it was a scam and just deleted it. Well the first time I think I asked about it before deleting it.

I even got an email from Best Buy or it looked like an email from Best Buy that indicated it was the Fraud department at Best Buy indicating they noticed suspicious activity associated with my last order. The web link looked very much like the actual Best Buy site. I notified Best Buy and sent a copy of the email I believe to the FBI. Best Buy put up a fraud alert on their web site.
I forgot to mention that since I had never bought anything online before, I knew this was some sort of elaborate scam. I think it's called phishing and has become more common nowadays.

I don't give out any financial info on the phone unless I made the call. I once received a call from some guy called Muhammed. He claimed I won a prize. To make a long story short, he finally got to a point where he said that he was going to transfer me to someone to confirm my credit card number to handle a small $4.95 shipping and handling fee. I flat out told him, I wasn't going to give out my card number without confirming his business. I asked for a number to call back to confirm their business or some way to say check with the better business bureau. After a few minutes of this, he got angry and we both hung up. I think it was a scam. He wouldn't give any number for me to call either.

Thanks for the info on the credit card scam. I don't check the below top secret site every day.

[edit on 29-1-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hey Orionthehunter. More good spots.

Most definately they were 419ers.

s!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Very comprehensive site here: www.scambusters.org...

On a lighter note I had read about this guy who tried to scam the nigerian scammers and had them spend a whole bunch of money in making bush banners and t-shirts. I cant find that page for some reason. He had them posing and all. Just priceless!

Here's a funny for all you starwars fan: www.scamorama.com...

And anyone who gives our their financial information without thinking twice deserves to get ripped off. My 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Interesting that you'd post this when you did. I got an email tonight from some cabinet member from Nigeria looking to give me money.
Right when I need it too! What GREAT timing! I'm gonna be rich!.....oh, you don't think he's scamming me do you?
:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
See Zaph.

He's doing what you should be doing - being email piratical.

Do you suffer from sea
? that would explain the flight business.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I only get sea
at the dock. But I love to be airborne.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
I got an email once from some guy in Nigeria who claimed to have access to some deceased guy's money. I'd never come across a scam such as this before so I decided to ask him lots of questions to catch him out. He seemed to have his ass covered and I couldnt find any holes in his story.

He said the deceased died in a plane crash while away on business. I asked him where and when the crash happened he gave me a vague date and location. I checked this out on the net and could find no record of the crash anywhere. I told him this and he suddenly disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Since then I've come across a few similiar scams.

yep I have had this e-mailed to me a few times too, that was the only one though.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
i dont take that seriously because im not stupid enough to give over my 3 pin security code on the back of my card, especially over the phone. even when i order something on the net, and get a call saying there was something wrong with my card and they want me to give them the details, i just say no...could be anyone on the phone, and i'm not gonna take any chances. there would be no money in being in fraud if people weren't so dumb. matter of fact, there are many dumb people out there, hence why fraud is so popular.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If you ask these people for a phone number and company name to call them back and they don't want to give it, you know they are phony. If they do give a phone number and company, you can look up the real company and check it out with the Better Business Bureau among possibly other agencies. Unfortunately, these scammers may get turned down by most people but it only takes a few not so smart victims to fund these scammers and keep their whole business going and going. I've heard terrorists may even use similiar methods for collecting funds.

The phoney emails that have links to other sites that look legitimate are another problem I wish more people would stop falling for. All it takes is someone who has a good looking web page to fake another web site and then have a link in the email so that you go there after you click on the link in the email. Wrong path, wrong way especially if enter your personal information from a good looking faked site.

I don't know if this is related to scamming but I wonder what sort of company mails me a credit card offer when I'm on an opt out list for credit cards in the mail. It definitely lets me know that they have not checked with the three major credit reporting agencies before they mailed that offer to me.

[edit on 5-2-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
ohh crap.... Guys i kinda gave over my bank detals when my credit card company call about 2 weeks back to pay them via my bank. And they called again the other day (because i didint pay them) And then told me they have none of my bank detals?!?!?!?!

what should i do????

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A friend of mine who worked for MasterCard told me about another ingenious scam involving adult XXX sites...not exactly fraud, but it relies on the 'shame-factor'

The way it works is that it tempts the unwitting lust-driven fool with the hottest content to lure him further into the site, and then offers a 'free' membership, all that they have to do to prove that they're over 18 is to verify with a valid CCard...once this is done they are allowed into the site where the original 'enticement' is no longer available to dowload due to a '404 error' or something similar, and crucially, is re-directed to a linked site with a URL along the lines of 'I like to (insert act here) small horses.com' or something just as depraved...and all they have is access to a site that's no more explicit than the average 'lad's mag'.

Meanwhile their account is debited every month by £4.99, and when the victim notices this on their statement, they contact MasterCard (the dept where my friend worked) , who then ask for the URL of the site so they can cancel the monthly transaction...at this point the cardholder is usually so embarassed of their actions, and the amount debited per month so small, that they'd rather let it ride on their account rather than admit their 'sexual depravity' to the bank....genius or wot eh?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join