It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart gets 25,000 applications for 325 jobs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The new Walmart store in Evergreen Park Il. had 25,000 applications for 325 jobs. Critics were worried that the store would hire more part-time workers rather than full-time employees with benefits. Walmart's claims 70% of the new employees will be full-time.

The new Wal-Mart Stores Inc. location opening Friday in suburban Evergreen Park received a record 25,000 applications for 325 positions, the highest for any one location in the retailer’s history, a company official says.

He said the 325 jobs include cashier, stocking, sales and back office positions. The average pay for non-management full-time positions is $10.99 an hour.

Despite the fact the company says these numbers underscore demand for Wal—Mart jobs in the community, critics wonder how many of these positions are lower—paying part—time work.

Source

These full time jobs are looking really tempting to many of the people of Chicago.

Chicago actually voted against this store being in Chicago so it was moved to Evergreen Park right outside the city limits.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hook. Line. Sinker...

70% full time... Wal-Mart considers 28 hours a week "full time". At $11 an hour that works out to $16,000/year *before* taxes... But Jon Stewart makes it a lot funnier than I can:

Jon Stewart on Wal-Mart

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1
Hook. Line. Sinker...

70% full time... Wal-Mart considers 28 hours a week "full time".

Full time is either 32 or 34 hours or more per week, not 28. I know because I work there.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

Hook. Line. Sinker...

70% full time... Wal-Mart considers 28 hours a week "full time".

Full time is either 32 or 34 hours or more per week, not 28. I know because I work there.

Fair enough. I should know better than base my "facts" on the fake news! (It's the only news I can stomach any more though.)

Still. 32 hours? Since when is that full time? I thought "full time" meant 40 hours, like "couple" means 2 or "few" means 3.

Do you get Health Care coverage if you're full time?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Do you get Health Care coverage if you're full time?

Yes, also you can get health coverage if you're part time and you have been there a specified period of time. It is not health coverage that is 100% employer paid.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
It is not health coverage that is 100% employer paid.

Not many companies provide health insurance that is 100% company paid. My employer has me pay $100 month copay. Still better than no insurance at all.

top topics

join