It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good and Evil. Why do they exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I've been thinking of the nature of good and evil. Is it a purely human concept that we have created to tell the difference between a person's intentions/morals or deeds? Or did God create good and evil? If so why?

Discuss. It's giving me a headache.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well I see it, and I'm sure many do, as a balance. Like ying and yang. Otherwise the unbalance would create chaos or something.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
I've been thinking of the nature of good and evil. Is it a purely human concept that we have created to tell the difference between a person's intentions/morals or deeds? Or did God create good and evil? If so why?

Discuss. It's giving me a headache.

MacDonagh,
The question you have asked has been asked since the beginning o philosophical thought.
Good - Evil

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Nietsche was insane wasn't he? I heard an incident about him breaking into a church while it was in service and screaming at the folk in it for believing in a deity.
To be honest, I think that good and evil are concepts made to distinguish the differences of morals between people. Probebly...

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think in the lines of Socrates/Plato. Good/Evil = the same thing. They are 2 parts of the same "idea" so basically halves of the idea of good/bad. Same as in big/small, or hate/love. Two opposites create one idea.

Same goes in some popular Eastern thought, such as the yin/yang. Which also symbolizes what Plato was thinking, shows the nature of opposites working together to form one idea.

As for myself, and what I think.... I have no clue.

[edit on 28-1-2006 by LaoTzu]

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Nietsche was insane wasn't he? I heard an incident about him breaking into a church while it was in service and screaming at the folk in it for believing in a deity.

Nietzsche was by all means unconventional and radical but his ideas are sound. His work almost mystical and not many understood him. A life of solitude and illness coupled with academic isolation took him to the edge. But never the less all his work was done when he was sane.
From what little I have read of his works I found it to be very influencial indeed.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Consciousness is a direct result of juxtaposition and experience of contrast.

new topics

top topics

join