It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research Comparing Terrorism-Related Deaths to Automobile-Related Deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I stumbled across this by accident, and I thought it was a pretty interesting read. Seems to confirm what I've been saying for a while, that the WoT is a farce, a con, a way to bilk taxpayers and reap profits.

If your government gave a damn about your life they'd do something besides fight an obscenely expensive (largely privatized) war against terrorism, since terrorism is about as likely to kill any individual American as a bolt of lightning. And the government has an equal chance of stopping either, I'd say.

Anyway, without further delay, the link

To find out if you've been hoodwinked, compare the annual road safety spending of your country with the annual anti-terrorist expenditures. The WoT is NOT about making anyone safer. It's about making people richer. They get rich by terrifying you, and then selling the illusion of safety.

This country is getting so wrung out right now, it's not even funny.

[edit on 28-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I've said the same thing for a long time, they claim to be protecting us from a percieved threat yet they still hand out drivers licenses like candy.
The U.S. driving test in most states is a joke, drive around the block, park against the curb and voila, you have a license to drive a potentialy lethal vehicle.

You could say the same thing about drug use, far more people die from car accidents than drugs.

Not to mention the stress caused by driving, and the damage to the enviroment.
Won't be long before the colour green is a rarety on planet Earth.

I think car drivers should be considered terrorists, cause they sure cause me some terror when I'm walking around town...
(actualy it's not funny)

[edit on 28/1/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply ANOK.

It's pretty ludicrous, really. Automobile accidents are just one of the hundreds of risk factors that we should realistically be dealing with. Diabetes is like a 9/11 twice each month, but we only spend something like 4 million a year fighting it.

Compare that to the TRILLIONS it's going to cost us to keep up this fraudulent war.

Then we look at alcohol, which kills more people than every other illegal drug combined, and it's not even included in the war on drugs! Plus, we've got the largest prison population in the world, and the vast majority of those incarcerated HAVE NEVER HURT ANYONE!

Honestly though, we might as well keep dropping high explosives on mud huts halfway around the world, because, let's face it, it's the only thing our country is halfway good at anymore.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i think the libertarian presidential candidate for '04 said it best.... "They have a war on poverty, now there's more poverty than ever.... They have a war on drugs, now there's more drugs on our streets than ever... Now they want a war on terror??"

Everything about the "War on Terror" reaks of fraud.... It's to keep the war machine turning and the money coming in.... They should have a "War on Car Accidents" if they were really concerned about our safety, pass sweeping legislation to protect our families, because there are a lot more women and children dying from other causes than terrorism... It's a form of control through fear and also pitting "us" against "them"... The worst part is how everyone looks at war like a sports team... "Oh we have the best weapons will kick your a**!" The big difference is, obviously, people die....
Kind of like reps vs. dems.... Pick a side and go at it! Get your mind out of the gutter! What's worse is the media is just as guilty as the politicians playing the terror card..... They claim to be fighting the WOT, but yet there are millions of illegals crossing our borders everyday?! What idiot still believes in the war on terror, when they CHOOSE not to close the borders and have potential terrorists cross everyday?!.... I forgot who it was, but someone down in TX or AZ did dry runs with fake WMD's from mexico into the US to a mall or other public place.... They had a 100% success rate everytime.... Everyone says, oh we don't have the man power, too much money! Give me a break we have enough money and man power to invade 2 countries since 9/11 yet the great US can't find a way to stop people from crossing our borders? Wow, tell me another one... The simple fact is, when another terrorist attack comes they will say they crossed the border with mexico and play the "we are idiots" card like they did for 9/11... The evidence that the gov't let 9/11 happen and had some hand in it is insurmountable...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Brilliant post, WyrdeOne.

I have always felt that it was disgusting that all of the families of the police and firefighters that were killed on 9/11 were made millionaires. Many emergency workers die every year performing their duties. Why were these families rewarded because their family members died when emergency workers, and civilians, die every day?

What makes the tragic, horrible deaths of those killed on 9/11 any worse than the people whoe die every day throughout the world from disease, famine, murder, etc.?

Why are we spending billions to fight terrorism and not billions on all the other causes of death?

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Interesting article and stats.

As is often the case, many things in this life are not what they seem

I think we should focus on the information presented here rather than the WOT itself.
With that in mind, I think this thread is better suited to the Deconstructing Disinformation & Deflection Forum.
Moved.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Why were these families rewarded because their family members died when emergency workers, and civilians, die every day?

To pursuade them from questioning how and who really killed their loved ones that day.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Thanks guys, glad you took the time to respond.

And thanks doubly, DToM, for putting this thread where it belongs.

This is definitely about disinfo, moreso than the WoT by itself.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
....The crowd hushes as the President approaches the podium, flashes from the medias cameras reflect off his features, stark and worry lined. He looks down at his notes and works his mouth. With a sigh he looks up and waits expectantly for the buzz to quiet.
"My fellow Americans...I regret to inform you that we now face a new enemy in the fight for our national survival...Volvo"

More people are killed annually by cars than are killed by guns, ciggarettes or hell just about anything else. And as sad as it is, our losses in Iraq are paltry comapred to Korea or WWII. (something like 2,500 killed in Iraq so far...5,000 lost just on D-Day, 90,000 lost in the thirty day battle of the Bulge)
I think the original poster has a point, our priorities are screwed up.
I DECLARE A NEW WAR ON TERROR.....WOMEN DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T KILL ME LADIES!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS JUST A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In the same vein, here's a great thread by BH about the dangers of prescription drugs compared to terrorists (scripts are 16000 times more deadly than terrorism).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by derdy
i think the libertarian presidential candidate for '04 said it best.... "They have a war on poverty, now there's more poverty than ever.... They have a war on drugs, now there's more drugs on our streets than ever... Now they want a war on terror??"

I forgot where i saw that before and thanks for bringing it up again.

Nygdan:

Why would al-qaida care about bush having good poll numbers? Why would the "Bush Cabal" use the "al-CIAda" "tool" to boost poll numbers? The guy is already a two term president, he doesn't need a boost in the polls, for what exactly? His numbers would go up after the SotU address anyway, so why 'waste' it at once, if that is the idea?

Well i am not sure if it's about good poll numbers as much as it is about a persistent threat as others have said.

“The art of leadership. . . consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention. . . .”

Adolf Hitler

While there is a enemy abroad a government can get appeal to patriotism and nationalist nonsense in general so a leader who can not find 'credible' ( you can still create them) enemies abroad is not helping himself.

And that's what i think.

Stellar

new topics

top topics

join